Accomodations in Smooth Rock Falls

snow_girl

A dozen yrs ago we renamed it (personally) the "Cockroach Motel". We decided we didn't really need a shower that night.

I hope it's been upgraded since then?

Stayed at the "Moose" last weekend. Great starting point for the Abitibi Canyon loop. A little dated, but the rooms are warm and dry and clean. There is heated storage to as posted earlier.

Snow_girl, looks like you changed plans to go East? Remember when planning mileage you can make-up miles faster in that area than West. Lots of trails are wide and fast. Post your trip and people can let you know. 300 miles in a day on some of those trails is easier than 150 on others in other parts. Just something to think about when planning.

It looks like we will probably stay in Cochrane. We will do Kirkland Lake to Cochrane on Monday, and than we want to go up the Abitibi Canyon trail on Tuesday, come back by SR Falls, and we will probably stay a second night in Cochrane. Wednesday we will cross over to Quebec.

It looks like we will probably stay in Cochrane. We will do Kirkland Lake to Cochrane on Monday, and than we want to go up the Abitibi Canyon trail on Tuesday, come back by SR Falls, and we will probably stay a second night in Cochrane. Wednesday we will cross over to Quebec.

I just got back from the area and rode the trails you are planning. My suggestion is to stay 2 nights at Lillabelle and spend one day riding up to the Canyon on both trails to make a loop. Yes, you will have to buy gas at the canyon, but as one of my tripmates put it "you are willing to spend $10,000+ on a sled and worry about $2.10/liter for gas."

You can easily make it from Lillabelle to SmoothRock in 1 hour, but watch your fuel. We had one guy on a 2002 Yamaha sxr600 that normally can go about 130 miles on a tank of gas, who filled up in Timmins rode the 60 or so miles to Lillabelle and didn't get any fuel in Cochrane and we had to tow him the last 4 miles into Smoothrock, It is about 110 milles from Timmins-Cochrane_Smoothrock and at the trail pace you can run ;);) You tend to burn a little more fuel.

Have a great trip and post a report when you get home

Doo they not bother you with the radar up there anymore?

we are also going up that way -the last week of Feb.We are starting in Northbay on mon and going to Earlton,then Tues to Smoothrock then wed do the Canyon loop and back into Cochrane for Wed night.That was my concern as well if there was a decent place to stay in smoothrock.As long as it is better than the Mo-ze in Northbay it should be a go LOL!

we are also going up that way -the last week of Feb.We are starting in Northbay on mon and going to Earlton,then Tues to Smoothrock then wed do the Canyon loop and back into Cochrane for Wed night.That was my concern as well if there was a decent place to stay in smoothrock.As long as it is better than the Mo-ze in Northbay it should be a go LOL!

We are leaving tomorrow morning. The sleds are on the trailer and were ready to go. We will be leaving by sled from New Liskeard. We will be back Friday night. I'll post a report when I get back. :wavey:

We are leaving tomorrow morning. The sleds are on the trailer and were ready to go. We will be leaving by sled from New Liskeard. We will be back Friday night. I'll post a report when I get back. :wavey:

Just for the record-the folks at the Moose Motel in SRF are the GREATEST! We had a sled break down New Years Eve day and our truck and trailer was in Kirkland Lake. They lent us their car to drive back to get it (that was a four hour run!) and wouldn't even take anything in return! We find the rooms HUGE! and very comfortable and Smoothies Restaurant next door is the best! You don't find caring people like that very often. And the sled storage is the cleanest you'll ever find! Check them out again.

We stayed at the Moose in late January & agree that the owners are great. The heated shop is awesome & you can work on your sled till 11PM if you need to. Smoothies next door is a great place to eat and the liquor / beer store is just down the street. What more do you need!

We left from Kirkland Lake Monday morning. We wanted to go to Smooth Rock, but due to a breakdown we only made it to Cochrane. The machine was left behind in Iroquois Falls and now husband and wife are double riding the rest of the trip. We stayed at Chimo in Cochrane, we definitely needed a hotel with a hot tub. If we come back next year, we will certainly consider the Moose.

We left Cochrane this morning and made our way to La Sarre Quebec. With a foot of fresh snow, it was a long ride... one machine ran out of gas on the trail, so we left it on the trail. So than we were two couples, double riding. Only a few miles left and we made it to La Reine, where a second machine ran out of gas... Thank god we met some really nice people. A local brought us some gas for the one sled, and the guys went back to get the other machine, while the two girls were offered coffee in someone's house... I'll never forgot her hospitality... we were so cold.

After that, the rest of the trip was nice. Stopped for lunch in La Sarre, made it to Rouyn-Noranda for the night. Tails are awesome. Will probably do a loop around here tomorrow than head back to our trucks in New Liskeard on Thursday. We have to go pick up the broken sled in Iroquois Falls before heading back home.

A two gallon can will git you outta most jackpots in the north.

(Or is it "deeper in"? :shock: )

Give us a call next time as we have a truck here to pick up "emergencies" and also a hot tub that will warm up the bones. Hope the rest of your trip is good.

will certainly keep this in mind for next time. A hot tub is almost a `must' when you`re snowmobiling.

will certainly keep this in mind for next time. A hot tub is almost a `must' when you`re snowmobiling.

Absolutely!

hottub.gif

Archived