open gas stations getting rare

blue er

with all the stations closing recently in north kawartha;s and hali regions, how many fuel stops are availble in paudash, twin mountains, buckhorn and kawartha lakes sc areas?

usually ride out of bobcaygeon area myself.

add if you can

caygeon has the shell pretty much at the 400 trailhead

couple stations in fenlon falls close to trails, aunt mollies and ultramar

harcourt- south algounquin cookhouse restraunt

hali- the shell now a xtr station

flyns turn- at 36/507 buckhorn trail-ultramar

Unfortunately there is a big hole around the North west end of the Kawarthas/South end of the Highlands. No gas in Kinmount, Gooderham and Wilberforce. There is in Irondale at the General Store, obv Haliburton and Minden and Harcourt. Puts a crimp in thing we often do a loop thru Haliburton over to Paudash thru Wilberforce for gas then onto Gooderham have to do it in reverse now in order to get gas in Haliburton.

The Ultramar in Apsley that closed up a few years ago didn't have a good business model IMO. They closed on Sundays, year round. Missed out on a lot of traffic. There are days here in the village that are so slow you probably wouldn't make enough money to pay the hydro.

Why not close on Mon' & stay open thru the weekend?

It's doubtful that the Bow lake Variety will open any time soon. The "current" owners ran their previous gas station into the ground (XTR about 6 miles south of Apsley) last winter when we didn't have a gas station in the village. They were out of gas more often than they had gas.

Unfortunately there is a big hole around the North west end of the Kawarthas/South end of the Highlands. No gas in Kinmount, Gooderham and Wilberforce. There is in Irondale at the General Store, obv Haliburton and Minden and Harcourt. Puts a crimp in thing we often do a loop thru Haliburton over to Paudash thru Wilberforce for gas then onto Gooderham have to do it in reverse now in order to get gas in Haliburton.

And the guy in Haliburton at the foot of Head lake is always higher then the gas bar at Todd's grocery store around the bend, by the clubhouse. Usually as much as five to eight cents difference. :headbang:

What happened to gas in Wilberforce?? I thought I heard they were going to be open?

What happened to gas in Wilberforce?? I thought I heard they were going to be open?

Don't know, just a notice on the Paudash website this season that no gas in Wilberforce or Gooderham.

Shell station is gone at head lake in hailburton. It Is now a weird independent xcel or something like that. At least they still have gas for now. It could be the next station to go, since they are due for tank and pump replacement soon. Costs alot to do this, so alot of stations just close when the time comes. Indepedant is always abit cheaper but can be Tricky to get in and out of

their though. There is the trail on the far side of the road. Just have to cut across the highway bridge, since the channel never freezes.

• 3 weeks later...

NO GAS in Gooderham, Wilberforce or Kinmount.

Why?

Support your local club and buy where you ride before your favourite place becomes a ghost town!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001685713006

Imposed regulations regarding the replacement and maintenance of underground tanks has forced many low volume little guys out of business.

Only the newer retailers will be around. Those with older tanks can not justify the cost to remove and replace tanks.

The marina at Haliburton Lake only open weekends for gas,with the lake staked today, that should help his sales.

The restaurant next door has closed.

Paudash trails:

Cardiff store on E110

Harcourt gas on TOP E

Apsley Shell on Burleigh St.

Bow Lake Variety is CLOSED

Old Hastings trails:

Glen Alda Can Op on 931

Coe Hill Woods on TOP E

Trudy's at St. Ola on E106

Esso south of Bancroft on Hwy 62 off B106E

McArthur Mills Shell on TOP E

Maple Leaf trails:

Esso in Bancroft across from B106E accessible by steel pedestrian bridge

Maynooth gas off B106E

Lake St. Peter gas across from B106E

Thanks guppy. I will be sure to buy some fuel there next weekend. Have to support the locals.

I have heard that the gas station in Whitney that has been a Shell for many years is now XTR branded.

I have heard that the gas station in Whitney that has been a Shell for many years is now XTR branded.

XTR must be hooking up with some of the old Shell stations. That is the case in Haliburton too.

XTR must be hooking up with some of the old Shell stations. That is the case in Haliburton too.

Bow Lake Variety south of Bancroft had been a Shell then switched to XTR. I'm not sure how long it was an XTR before it closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Now the clown (ESSO) at Hwy 118 and Hwy 35 has had no gas since the Saturday of the Family day weekend??? The pumps all have bags on them and barrier tape all around. His prices were always high..so I don't know if Esso has shut him down or he is just a putz? Apparently there have been loads of complaints about his prices being 5 to 10 cents more than the average around.

Now the clown (ESSO) at Hwy 118 and Hwy 35 has had no gas since the Saturday of the Family day weekend??? The pumps all have bags on them and barrier tape all around. His prices were always high..so I don't know if Esso has shut him down or he is just a putz? Apparently there have been loads of complaints about his prices being 5 to 10 cents more than the average around.

And when he does have gas he has never has premium. Looks like he has to pay for his stock when shipped. No credit because he's a new owner.Stopped there on the weekend and everone was bitching about it. I will always try to get gas at the Kushog lake marina at the south end. Only premium there.

Yup. I ran into a group that was stranded at that esso no fuel. I had a siphon so we transferred fuel so they could make it to little hawk for fuel. May as well support the little resorts.

It's a regular occurrence these days. Been running out of fuel routinely since last Winter.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone confirm if the gas station in Wilberforce has re-opened?

Also, there is a new Shell station nearing completion on the south edge of Bancroft on Hwy 28 (Across from MNR/Hydro One offices). No idea if there will be access to the station from E110.

Archived