Top "C" Trail North of Sudbury

Auld Reekie Lodge

Hello All Sledders,

We heard about the closing of the "C" trail north of Sudbury due to logging on Thursday and right away pulled out the maps. Urs got in contact with Derrek (groomer operator from Shining Tree Trail Plan) and with Dave Bolton (Nickle Belt Snow Spirits) from the Sudbury Trail Plan Association and gathered the information of where exactly the loggers were cutting and how far down Sandy Lake Road (Top "C" Trail) would be affected. It was discovered that 40 km of the trail would be plowed and sanded. After long conversations and hours spent looking at the maps, Urs called his brother-in-law, Bobby Lee wondering if he would be able to drive up from Sudbury to help him scout out possibilities. Breaking Trail is Bobby's favorite sledding adventure. Bobby switched shifts and drove up Friday night. First thing Saturday morning, Urs and Bobby started on their sleds. They took a road south off of the A107C trail and pushed through 2 1/2 feet of virgin snow. They found a trail wide enough for an alternative "C" trail. They had fun scouting this route!!!!!!!!!

Urs and Bobby arrive back at the lodge happy to have found a solution. Right away, Urs called Derrek and asked if he would take a run on this path to see if he would be willing to take the Groomer down this new route. Derrek agreed to take a run on Sunday (today). Later, Derrek called back and let Urs know that the Groomer will be able to do it without any trouble.

There is one problem that needs to be solved before Grooming, signing and opening this new route for "C" Trail......it needs volunteers to brush approx. 20 km. With the Northern Clubs having so little man power and volunteers, we are reaching out to Sledders who ride the "C" Trail to volunteer their time.

We, at Auld Reekie Lodge will provide free room and board for any volunteer willing to help brush within the next 7 days. Call us at 1-800-511-1191 and let us know when you can help.

Thank you, Urs and Diane Brunner.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All Sledders,

We heard about the closing of the "C" trail north of Sudbury due to logging on Thursday and right away pulled out the maps. Urs got in contact with Derrek (groomer operator from Shining Tree Trail Plan) and with Dave Bolton (Nickle Belt Snow Spirits) from the Sudbury Trail Plan Association and gathered the information of where exactly the loggers were cutting and how far down Sandy Lake Road (Top "C" Trail) would be affected. It was discovered that 40 km of the trail would be plowed and sanded. After long conversations and hours spent looking at the maps, Urs called his brother-in-law, Bobby Lee wondering if he would be able to drive up from Sudbury to help him scout out possibilities. Breaking Trail is Bobby's favorite sledding adventure. Bobby switched shifts and drove up Friday night. First thing Saturday morning, Urs and Bobby started on their sleds. They took a road south off of the A107C trail and pushed through 2 1/2 feet of virgin snow. They found a trail wide enough for an alternative "C" trail. They had fun scouting this route!!!!!!!!!

Urs and Bobby arrive back at the lodge happy to have found a solution. Right away, Urs called Derrek and asked if he would take a run on this path to see if he would be willing to take the Groomer down this new route. Derrek agreed to take a run on Sunday (today). Later, Derrek called back and let Urs know that the Groomer will be able to do it without any trouble.

There is one problem that needs to be solved before Grooming, signing and opening this new route for "C" Trail......it needs volunteers to brush approx. 20 km. With the Northern Clubs having so little man power and volunteers, we are reaching out to Sledders who ride the "C" Trail to volunteer their time.

We, at Auld Reekie Lodge will provide free room and board for any volunteer willing to help brush within the next 7 days. Call us at 1-800-511-1191 and let us know when you can help.

Thank you, Urs and Diane Brunner.

Now that is how its done,I will see if I can come up!!Will be intouch

You guys are great. Wish we had a few extra days and were closer.

Its a real disappointment to here that C is closed for this season south of Shining Tree but its truly amazing that Urs and Bobby have found an alternative and the groomer maybe ready to head out. Hats off to Auld Reekie for their outstanding support to our sport and hopefully getting a re-route in place. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to help so the least I can do is say Thank you

We @ Shining Tree Camp will put up accommodations for those willing to volunteer for the "C" trail re-route as well as Auld Reekie has for the same time period. We are closer to the job site as well. Thank you Urs & Diane. Derek.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for all of your hard work.

We @ Shining Tree Camp will put up accommodations for those willing to volunteer for the "C" trail re-route as well as Auld Reekie has for the same time period. We are closer to the job site as well. Thank you Urs & Diane. Derek.

Welcome Derek

Do let me know if you have any volunteers and we will be happy to provide meals for their help.

Kelly

When is the work to begin , thinking of maybe getting in on this mission , but will depend on timing , seeing if my bud can come up too , I have my sled and saws , he has a Grizz on Tracks , would it be needed ?

When is the work to begin , thinking of maybe getting in on this mission , but will depend on timing , seeing if my bud can come up too , I have my sled and saws , he has a Grizz on Tracks , would it be needed ?

You would have to get ahold of Urs as I am not in on this MISSION.I beleive Urs and Derek are heading it up. It is a GREAT thing for whatever club takes this area over next year....Thanks again to all

Kelly

A big THANK YOU to the businesses that are contributing to this project!

Here is the update on what is happening on the Top "C" Trail....

Brushing of the "New" C trail is begining Thursday and is continuing Friday, Saturday & Sunday. So far the volunteers that we have are Urs, Derek and Derek's neighbour. We are waiting to hear from Dave Bolton for more volunteers from the Sudbury Area. If there is anyone else who can lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciate and it would help speed things up so that sledders have a way to connect from point A to point B.

Again, we are offering FREE ROOM & MEALS to any volunteer sledder that wants to help on any of the days mentioned above. Thank you.

Urs & Diane.

Brushing of the "New" C trail is begining Thursday and is continuing Friday, Saturday & Sunday. So far the volunteers that we have are Urs, Derek and Derek's neighbour. We are waiting to hear from Dave Bolton for more volunteers from the Sudbury Area. If there is anyone else who can lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciate and it would help speed things up so that sledders have a way to connect from point A to point B.

Again, we are offering FREE ROOM & MEALS to any volunteer sledder that wants to help on any of the days mentioned above. Thank you.

Urs & Diane.

Urs,

Would you be able to briefly describe the route that has been chosen?

Urs & Diane.

As mentioned....there is also free room and board in Shining Tree if needed......Call 705-263-2057

Thanks to all

Kelly and Derek STTP

If I had time I would gladly lend a hand. Hopefully some local sleders that use the c trail will chip in for a day or two to speed things up.

do you guys have room for a volunteer??

Welcome to the forum, uncle bob. What a fine way to start!:right_on::right_on::right_on:

Just looked @ Garmin's Mapsource. Would I be correct in saying that your reroute is following the hydro line?

Is there any problems w/ mining (diamond drilling) near where the new route intersects w/ A107C? I seem to recall it was plowed & we saw trucks in that area back in '08.

I got thinking tonight.......I am sure all are wondering why this club NEEDS volunteers from out of town......well this is for those of you who do not realize where we are.

We are a town of 21. 4 camp owners and some retirees who do not even snowmobile. I as a camp owner cannot leave here incase we get sledders in wanting gas....and Brandon who has been fighting this fight for 21 years is now fed up with the lack of help from the OFSC. Thank God for our groomer operator Derek for his volunteering. I am glad for Urs as he is fresh into the business and has been a great help. I guess what they say is right......a set of fresh eyes. Lets all remember that we need our sledders but I can not turn my back on my loggers and miners who also bring business here. I am VERY happy to see ANY business here, however am very saddened to watch a man who made sure for the last 20 years you had trails up here and to the North feel like he has let you down. As most of you know Brandon stepped down last year. So in closing, I am thanking all that are helping to continue on with the trails he and his father got started.

In memory of Slim....keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly

Great post, Kelly.

Hello Avid Sledders,

We are posting this update to inform you the status of the brushing on the re-route for the "C" Trail. We are very pleased to say that last night 7 volunteeres showed up to help beginning brushing today. As we know it, there will be another 11 arriving today to help over the weekend. All of these volunteers come from the Sudbury area. Thank you so very much to all. We know of only one other volunteer that is staying in Shining Tree. Thank you, Sir for helping us. Here's to crossing our fingers that the brushing will be done by the end of the weekend, the trail will be groomed and sign and we can open the "C" Trail before next weekend.

Hello Avid Sledders,

We are posting this update to inform you the status of the brushing on the re-route for the "C" Trail. We are very pleased to say that last night 7 volunteeres showed up to help beginning brushing today. As we know it, there will be another 11 arriving today to help over the weekend. All of these volunteers come from the Sudbury area. Thank you so very much to all. We know of only one other volunteer that is staying in Shining Tree. Thank you, Sir for helping us. Here's to crossing our fingers that the brushing will be done by the end of the weekend, the trail will be groomed and sign and we can open the "C" Trail before next weekend.

Wow, that is awsome that so many are able to chip in for a club in need!

Also amazing that free lodging and food are offered up!

Excellent news and a HUGE thank you to all that are helping out!

Archived