Paudash Report

revrnd

Did a 65 mile loop up to the clubhouse today. Not bad conditions but there's 8 & a 1/2 miles of icy plowed road on the E107 reroute west of the Eel's Lake Road. The trail is plowed all the way to E108 plus about another 1/2 mile north towards TOP E. No sign of log hauling, yet.

The rest of E108 & TOP E were fine to the Chandos turnoff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so is that why the E108 wasn't groomed where buckhorn left off, hats off to buckhorn for doing an excellent job with the little snow, boo paudash

No idea.

I should've posted this sooner.

From my Facebook page:

A warning to folks that cross Tallan Lake as a short cut between Chandos and TOP E. There is a swimming platform that has been left out in the lake over the winter. When I was by it a couple of weeks ago, all that was visible was the WHITE ladder handles. No reflective markers on the dock.

so is that why the E108 wasn't groomed where buckhorn left off, hats off to buckhorn for doing an excellent job with the little snow, boo paudash

I rode through it yesterday. There are at least 3 open water holes in that section. I'm assuming that's the reason they stopped grooming.

They must've open up on Sat'. The trail was a bit choppy on Fri', but no water holes.

there are lots of trees in the area to make a corduroy road

We did a 140 mile loop from Apsley up to Lake St Peter via Harcourt & back via the railbed, 930 & TOP E. All trails had lots of snow cover. We did a bit of road running to get from E107 over to TOP E. The only sub-par section was TOP E from the "red house" @ the Wilberforce/Harcourt junction up to the Peterson Rd intersection. It wasn't rough, it just appeared that the snow was a lot looser up there.

A question for anyone that is familiar w/ the top end of the Paudash system. When we were heading north on E109 approaching Pine Point Lodge(?) several sleds were coming out the Kingscote Lake Rd. I'm just curious as to where they had ridden from? I've ridden thru that area a lot ovr the years, but yesterday was the 1st time I had seen sleds coming that way.

That is a forest access rd that goes into the park. Some hunt camps back in there. Shhh don't tell anybody. I like to ride in there when it's busy. Not groomed but not busy either.

I've driven into the access point on Kingscote in the summer, but that's been it.

Weather was a mixed bag on Thurs' (in Ptbo' today). There was 12" of snow on the stick before I left. I didn't hear much in the way of sled traffic over by the Swiss Bear. Mind you anyone riding from the south will be further west & probably out of earshot from the village.

I met quite a few trucks hauling trailers north on 28 this morning on my way to the city.

• 3 weeks later...

I was up to Baptiste Lake today. The groomer had run from Cardiff to the lake. E110 was rough east of #612 (Baptiste Lake Trail).

I saw 4 moose on the trail just south of the Deer Lake Trail intersection. Too far off the trail before I got my camera out for decent pics.

I hope it can hold on with the weather coming over the next few days. Would like to get out Friday if I can.

• 9 months later...

Logging going on E trail near junction of Silent Lk trail if you are coming this (Coe Hill) way from Paudash sys.

Didn't look too ruined, was where we were turning around anyway.

They weren't far off the trail dropping stuff, could feel some hit as they cracked down

• 3 weeks later...

The club finally has received permission to go ahead w/ the new bridge over Eel's Creek on E107. They'll be meeting with the contractor next week before installation. The bridge will be a Bailey Bridge that was previously used on the Mink Lake Rd west of Maynooth.

E107 has opened up under a Limited status. I was out and GPSed the 2 reroutes in the Apsley area. I've been told that the conditions are better north of the E107/#609 jct'.

The reroute "west" of Apsley is to get the trail off a beaver pond. The reroute to the north is to get around a logging operation. Both sections are in need of snow.

E107 Apsley Reroute.pdf

I'm taking Friday off to go up to Paudash. Does anyone know how the trails fared after this heatwave and rain?

they were marginal at best on Sunday so I wouldn't expect them to be good at all. Maple leaf has closed their trails and they were 10x better... I dont think they've been out to inspect the trails and should likely be closed right now IMO

Killer you're probably right.

I was in Ptbo' during the day & the rain stopped mid afternoon. As usual there was a lake in the backyard. During the night it really started to pour. Now w/ the cold snap, I bet any snow packed sections will be frozen solid. Not good for the sliders or liquid cooled sleds.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on8#onrm33-642cwto-044720

We've had some short periods of blowing snow. Hopefully we get the 10 cms.

Looking at the trail status it show the Paudash trails as limited but if you go to there site http://www.paudashtrailblazers.on.ca/trail_status/trail_status.htm it seys that Thanks to our club members for your patience during this past week while we were without internet service & unable to provide updates.That explains way it is still limited or are they limited?I can be there in 2 hours.

There's only about 5" of snow in our backyard. The front yard looks less than that. I haven't been north of the village, but I can't imagine things being any better. Trust me limited IMO is being optimistic.

Have to go east to pembroke. Even bancroft will be very limited now too.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode E107 from the south end of the Paudash system (Hwy 28/McFadden's Rd area) up to the Eels Lake Road. The little bit of rain we had on Mon' plus the couple of small snowfalls have improved conditions after the storm of Fri'. Snow is much more "solid".

As you head further north the snow conditions improve.

If you're on E107 north of the Hwy. 28/Jeff Rd area over the next few days be careful as Drain Bros' Construction is working to put the Bailey Bridge in place over Eels Creek. There is a short stretch of trail that has been bulldozed.

post-19781-0-58498100-1360816089_thumb.jpgpost-19781-0-54176400-1360816133_thumb.jpg

Today's progress. They've chained logs under the main beams of the bridge and skidding it along.

Be aware that the logging is still ongoing along 2 sections of trail.

On TOP E there is logging on the trail for about 1 mile west of the Crowe River bridge. The trail is being used for the log haul. Watch out for trucks.

EDIT MARCH 3: LOGGING IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATION IS FINISHED AS PER CONVERSATION W/ CLUB PRESIDENT. TRAIL WAS COVERED IN SNOW ON FRI'.

North of Tallan's Lake there is a smaller operation as well. As a result there are trucks on a short distance of TOP E. However the trucks are using a portion of 619 (Chandos Trail) and ALL of 625 (Tallan's Lake Trail) for the log haul.

Archived