Leaving your trailer hitch in could cost you

dweese

This urban myth seems to go around every so often, but this one is true because I saw the ticket first hand...Yes you can leave your trailer hitch in well not in use, that's not where this post is going.

What you can't do is block your rear licence plate in anyway.

Friend of mine here in town got a $250 fine from an OPP during a New Years eve RIDE check, for having his hitch in, as in the eyes of the LEO at the stop, it blocked part of his rear licence plate. Now this was on a car so, for those with trucks your most likely ok, because they hang low. But us car drivers who have a hitch that turns up to give the trailer tongue the room it needs to not hit the ground listen up.

He took the ticket to the local X-Copper legal service and they looked at his hitch and said, Yup it blocks the middle of the plate. They figure if he goes to court they cut the fine something lower but, but he is going to have to pay something and it also means a day off work to spend in court. The X-Copper dude said he was the 3rd person in this week with the same type of ticket.

So just a word of advice, take 30 seconds and pull your hitch out, if it could be seen to anyway block the rear plate, budgets are tight everywhere so looks like everything that is questionable will be questioned. Sure you can go to court in protest to tie the system up even more, but a $250 fine vs a few days off work for court what's cheaper for you in the long run?

sounds like another OPP cash grab

I would fight it. See if the copper even shows up.

OPP have been paid for court for a few years now. They show up about 95% of the time now.

OPP have been paid for court for a few years now. They show up about 95% of the time now.

Most coppers I know get paid. Peel, OPP, Hamilton anyways. Some just are too lazy to go for one tick though. Pretty brutal ticket. Why don't they chase down these people that leave bike racks on all year too. Sheesh!

What they really should focus on are the ones that rub the blue off the the letters so the entire plate looks white.

I would think the law would go after these people more than the one that block the plate with the hitch.

You have to ask yourself why they would go to that much trouble to rub off the lettering.

- Avoid 407 charges?

- Avoid others reporting wreck less driving?

- Avoid DUI?

Sorry officer a really wash my car a lot, and the paint just came off!!

Hmmmm!!

Izzy, I think it's the process that is used now to paint/coat the plates. The old plates were stamped, then painted & those plates lasted for years. Now the sheet metal has the reflective film applied, then the plate is stamped. This stretches the film over the letters/digits making it thinner & less durable.

I think the plates start to deteriorate the 1st time the vehicle is driven in the rain :rolleyes: . Try to save the plate from wear & tear by putting a CLEAR plate cover on it & the cops will probably give you a ticket.

Apparently it is illegal to block ANY part of your plate...That includes the plastic licence plate frame with your dealer's name. My brother got a ticket in Bradford for that one...I guess the guy wasn't a "Yamaha" man...

Oh...and stay out of the left lane if you're towing a trailer on any highway with 6 lanes or more...I got that ticket myself...

Got a ticket a few years ago for obstructed plate as it was covered with snow. Took pictures of the cop cars at the OPP station with the plates covered and took them to court with me. I beat the charge and the judge reamed out the cop for giving me the ticket in the first place. The whole thing was kind of funny

One ploy that often helps having the officer not show up is to appear at the court house and request an alternative court date. Tell them you need time to seek advice. It seems that more often than not when it is not on the originally scheduled court date the officer doesn't appear. It was an OPP friend who pointed this out.

sounds like that cop would give you a ticket if you were towing a trailer as well for an obstucted plate must of been a bad day for him.

fight it....fight everything and then call the newspaper to illustrate this brilliant use of tax dollars

Watch out for trailer plates mounted under your trailer ,Got nailed for that one this summer on the 407,even have transponder and trailer plate linked to vehicle,Cop drives up behind in SUV that sits real high and says can't see plate ,no time to fight ticket,Have always respected police but have now lost that feeling,have moved plate on all my trailers.Don't give idiots like that an excuse

Archived