Shining Tree Trails

3 Bears

Calling Eacom today.....had 3 sledders show yestarday and they confirmed that Sandy Lake Road is plowed. They have done this even though the forestry called me Thursday to say they were done until March 24 with the road. Will be calling soon and will keep you posted. :angry-smiley-005: Gogama has not as of yet groomed...butr will be by Thursday. Had sledders trailer here and did a Timmins run and further......said it was amazing.....so that is an option right now. FYI....I now understand why Brandon is stepping down and this maybe my last year due to the lack of help from OFSC and the NOT backing of their moto BUY WHERE YOU RIDE. Hence, on top of the trail problems, money being pulled out of our club recently. SOOOOO sorry Kelly

Kelly,

What route did the people take to get to Timmins? We are coming up 3rd week of Feb and our last day is from Timmins back to Gowganda. We hope to tale the L143 South out of Timmins rather than the C trail thru Mattagami. It just makes a shorter day as we have to load up 4 sleds and prefer to be in relatively early.

Bottom line is- What is the status of L143?

Thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly,

What route did the people take to get to Timmins? We are coming up 3rd week of Feb and our last day is from Timmins back to Gowganda. We hope to tale the L143 South out of Timmins rather than the C trail thru Mattagami. It just makes a shorter day as we have to load up 4 sleds and prefer to be in relatively early.

Thanks

Just got back from driving to Grassy Lake Road, still not plowed, but we are not groomng it as we have been told it will be plowed this week and we have cannot use it for the Timmins trail. Keep an eye on the forum as you still have a month until your trip...will keep you posted

Kell

Kelly,

Thanks

I sent Timmins Snowmobile club an e-mail last week asking them this same question and I have yet to get a response. If I do, I will post it here.

Good Morning all

Well, Eacom (the forestry) got back to me.......they are VERY sorry, a logging company decided they had enough man power to remove the wood from Sandy Lake Road now. Therefore, they plowed and will be done in 3 weeks. However, then we have to wait for another hit of snow to groom it. And then the logger need it by March 1st to dry it for spring haul. The Sudbury route is NOT looking good.....my groomer operator says not even likely it will get open. So, we are concentrating on the link to Gowganda and the re route to Timmins which runs through Gogama......as soon as I hear from Gogama on their progress I will post it. Derrick will be opening our chain of lakes to link to the re route to Timmins via Gogama this week.

SO SORRY

Kelly

Good Morning all Well, Eacom (the forestry) got back to me.......they are VERY sorry, a logging company decided they had enough man power to remove the wood from Sandy Lake Road now. Therefore, they plowed and will be done in 3 weeks. However, then we have to wait for another hit of snow to groom it. And then the logger need it by March 1st to dry it for spring haul. The Sudbury route is NOT looking good.....my groomer operator says not even likely it will get open. So, we are concentrating on the link to Gowganda and the re route to Timmins which runs through Gogama......as soon as I hear from Gogama on their progress I will post it. Derrick will be opening our chain of lakes to link to the re route to Timmins via Gogama this week. SO SORRY Kelly
Can I then assume(I hate that word) that the L143 will not be groomed until after the logging is done and then it would depend on snowfall after their finished.

Can I then assume(I hate that word) that the L143 will not be groomed until after the logging is done and then it would depend on snowfall after their finished.

No, the L143 is on Grassy Road to Timmins...this is the South to Sudbury trail. However, they will also be plowing Grassy to Timmins this week. That is why we do the re route

Kelly

No, the L143 is on Grassy Road to Timmins...this is the South to Sudbury trail. However, they will also be plowing Grassy to Timmins this week. That is why we do the re route

Kelly

Sorry for all the questions Kelly. Do you know how badly the L143 will be affected by the plowing?

Sorry for all the questions Kelly. Do you know how badly the L143 will be affected by the plowing?

No problem...that is what the forum is for........Grassy is being plowed, therefore there won t be an L143. The only way to Timmins from here is the re route through Gogama

Kellly

No problem...that is what the forum is for........Grassy is being plowed, therefore there won t be an L143. The only way to Timmins from here is the re route through Gogama

Kellly

Thanks Kelly.

Hopefully 1 last question. Our last day of riding is from Timmins to Gowganda. Our original plan was to take L143 to C106A to L136 to Gowganda. A nice short day(191km or 118 mi) as we have to load up 4 sleds and prefer to do it in daylight. And it's nice to get in early and kick back one last time before trailering back home the next day.

With what you have told me in above posts, I plotted 2 alternatives:

Timmins to Gowganda via Kirkland Lake(296km or 183 mi)

Timmins to Gowganda via Gogama and Matachewan(241 km or 149 mi)

The latter is preferred due to shorter distance.

Will I be able to travel from Mattagami to Matachewan( "C" to "C106A") without running on plowed roads?

Thanks Kelly.

Hopefully 1 last question. Our last day of riding is from Timmins to Gowganda. Our original plan was to take L143 to C106A to L136 to Gowganda. A nice short day(191km or 118 mi) as we have to load up 4 sleds and prefer to do it in daylight. And it's nice to get in early and kick back one last time before trailering back home the next day.

With what you have told me in above posts, I plotted 2 alternatives:

Timmins to Gowganda via Kirkland Lake(296km or 183 mi)

Timmins to Gowganda via Gogama and Matachewan(241 km or 149 mi)

The latter is preferred due to shorter distance.

Will I be able to travel from Mattagami to Matachewan( "C" to "C106A") without running on plowed roads?

The only way is Timmins to Gogama to our trail to Gowganda. The plowing of Grassy Road also destroys Matachewan.

Kelly

Good Morning all

Well, Eacom (the forestry) got back to me.......they are VERY sorry, a logging company decided they had enough man power to remove the wood from Sandy Lake Road now. Therefore, they plowed and will be done in 3 weeks. However, then we have to wait for another hit of snow to groom it. And then the logger need it by March 1st to dry it for spring haul. The Sudbury route is NOT looking good.....my groomer operator says not even likely it will get open. So, we are concentrating on the link to Gowganda and the re route to Timmins which runs through Gogama......as soon as I hear from Gogama on their progress I will post it. Derrick will be opening our chain of lakes to link to the re route to Timmins via Gogama this week.

SO SORRY

Kelly

Just saw this one, I'm having trouble keeping up. Does this mean that "C" to Pine Lake, or your part of it, may not be groomed? That may delay our visit by a day.

Kelly, I'm attaching a map of your area that includes the TOP C reroute that was used in 2010 (highlighted). I hope I'm not asking too much, but could you print it off, mark where this years reroute will be, then scan that & post it? I'm not sure all of us are familiar w/ the road names. I've only driven thru there once in the offseason & that was back in '92. Thank you for your help over the years.

As a sidenote, if anyone has a GPS track for A106C, could you let me know? I can then PM my email address. I have portions of it, but not a complete track.

post-19781-0-77000000-1326850914_thumb.jpg

Where are you going to be on what dates do you think ? We (3 couples) might be in the same area at the same time. I only ask because I'm trying to avoid SnowBerg !

All we can ask is that you don't go flying past us. Keep an eye out for a couple of AC Turbos and please don't run us over on your way by, we'll get out of your way. We'll even buy you an Export when we finally catch up.

Not sure of the exact timing yet. Tentatively:

Late 1/26 arrive Travelodge

Later 1/26 arrive Fanny's

Not too early 1/27 ride to 3 Bears

Not too early 1/28 ride to New Liskeard

Early 1/29 ride to North Bay and then drive to WNY.

World's colliding. Akron et al and groupe STG. This can't be good.

(The .pdf mentioned above would be very helpful. The 'southern' route appears to have the best chance of opening, if I understand the above -

New Liskeard to Elk Lake

Elk Lake to Gowganda (107C)

Gowganda to Three Bears

Three Bears to Timmins (C Trunk Trail - as it's called on IG).

A popular route, and any local info. would be greatly appreciated.

Very sad to not have a route to 3 bears out of Suds. Maybe we will get dumped on Feb 10th and be able to have a few weeks of riding from here to your place. Thanks for all your hard work guys!!

SADDER FOR ME.......IMISS ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly, I'm attaching a map of your area that includes the TOP C reroute that was used in 2010 (highlighted). I hope I'm not asking too much, but could you print it off, mark where this years reroute will be, then scan that & post it? I'm not sure all of us are familiar w/ the road names. I've only driven thru there once in the offseason & that was back in '92. Thank you for your help over the years.

As a sidenote, if anyone has a GPS track for A106C, could you let me know? I can then PM my email address. I have portions of it, but not a complete track.

I LL LOOK AT IT TOMMOROW...BUT IT IS THE SAME RE ROUTE WE HAVE USED FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS......IT GOES ALONG THE 560 HWY.

KELLY

I am sooooo sorry to miss all of you this year. Unfortunately for my employees who have had to be let go this season and for all those who love the Sudbury C Trail...............we are shut off to the South this year. I am VERY unimpressed with the backing of the OFSC once again this year..............missing business for the North and 6000.00 taken out of District 14's pocket.

Kelly

Wow is all I can say. There have been dealers here in the south selling for various clubs and districts too. I can buy from a local dealer and I might end up supporting a club 150km away. They should make the whole thing one big pot and dish out the funds based on various factors.

Put it in the hands of MTO. Include permit with licence so that every licenced sno machine in province has permit. Permit sales would triple and cost could come down.This system seems to be working in USA and Quebec. Funds would be distributed to where the snow is. Currently too much money going to areas with too little snow. Clubs would have to adapt to new way of doing same old thing. Not likely to happen as the clubs enjoy having control of what they think is there money. Just think there has to be a better way.

Great Idea Revrnd. Having a little trouble keeping up with the interchangeable road names and trail numbers.

Put it in the hands of MTO. Include permit with licence so that every licenced sno machine in province has permit. Permit sales would triple and cost could come down.This system seems to be working in USA and Quebec.

Are you sure about that? I know that Quebec clubs / districts sell the permits, just like here. I do not think it is part of the val tag.

I do agree, however, that tying the permit to the Val Tag might be workable as long as the funds are distributed to the clubs in a timely manner. As it is now, the clubs get the money from the permit sales and then pay the OFSC for the permits sold at the rate that is prescribed according to the matrix.

Funds would be distributed to where the snow is.

So we have to wait until there is snow to find out if we should repair the bridges, buy signs, prepare the trails, buy the fuel, run the groomers? All these things cost money and much of that money is either spent or committed before a single snowflake falls.

surely there would be a way to release funds prior to need. Revenue would be created all year not just in dec. I am not implementing the system just trying to suggest maybe a better way. There are many great people working within the system. Problem always seems to be distribution of funds....

surely there would be a way to release funds prior to need. Revenue would be created all year not just in dec. I am not implementing the system just trying to suggest maybe a better way. There are many great people working within the system. Problem always seems to be distribution of funds....

As I said, there may be a way for it to work, but it is a complex distribution formula that has to take the "buy where you ride" philosophy into account as well.

I know that there are many minds struggling with this problem and hopefully someone will come up with a workable and acceptable idea.

I am not sure if everyone realizes, but not all Clubs even earn enough off permit sales to run in the winter months, never mind the summer and fall. When we have a good long season, our camp still has to kick into the club ( STTP ) by the end of the year..........whether it be for fuel or groomer operator or repairs to the groomer. Just a little FYI

Kelly

Archived