Shining Tree Trails

3 Bears

Where are you going to be on what dates do you think ? We (3 couples) might be in the same area at the same time. I only ask because I'm trying to avoid SnowBerg !

Hey STG those are pretty strong words for a turtle, I mean moose...........Oh I forgot tell you I think Kelly has a message for you at 3 bears........... :cheers: :cheers:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay....home from an overnighter in Sudbury to pick up supplies. HOPEING it is the last FRIDAY I am able to get out of here. Can t recall the last time I could leave here on a Friday after Jan 1 :icon_snow: The groomer operator (Derrick) has signed to Gowganda and to the our side of Gogama leading to Timmins. He is now working on signing the lake route over to us from the 560 route North. We are looking very hard for a reroute to Sudbury, but it is on hold for a couple days until we see what Monday is going to bring as the latest Sudbury weather report is low -3 and high 6 with rain :angry-smiley-005:

Will keep in touch........gotta go make soup for the die hards :drool-1:

Kelly

Kelly,

Sounds good. Keep us in the loop, we'll be there Friday one way or another. Would love to come in from North Bay via "C" but if we have to drive to New Liskeard, that's what we'll do.

BTW - Junior will not be joining us.

Kelly,

Sounds good. Keep us in the loop, we'll be there Friday one way or another. Would love to come in from North Bay via "C" but if we have to drive to New Liskeard, that's what we'll do.

BTW - Junior will not be joining us.

Okay, see you Friday....4 of you? So you can have your cabin on the lake then....

Will get the beerr on ice, cut the thick steaks (3) and find the biggest baked potatoes.

Safe ride and see you then.

Okay, see you Friday....4 of you? So you can have your cabin on the lake then....

Will get the beerr on ice, cut the thick steaks (3) and find the biggest baked potatoes.

Safe ride and see you then.

Thats exactly why we are coming................cause Kelly takes such good care of us :cheers: and the fact that she puts up with us :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Good morning

Just spoke to Derek and he is leaving to groom North again this morning and to fix any signs that may have dropped after the rain. Spoke to Pat in Gogama , he has completed a pass with his trails. So, looks good for Timmins and Gowganda. Much help is being reported for the C trail South which is a huge relief after 7 years of Brandon and Derek trying to fix this problem. I do wish this had happened before Brandon stepped down....but it is what it is........THANKS TO ALL.

Will keep you posted.

Kelly

So what about C south, will there be a trail anytime soon? Like in the next 2 days?

So what about C south, will there be a trail anytime soon? Like in the next 2 days?

Won t know until tommorow, but I would not think it will be ready in 2 days, now Derek did say he will be in by 4 a.m. tommorow and may start Thusday as he can clear brush as he grooms....after he sleeps I will call and will post what he answers me. Wish I had more for you, but it so ify right now.

Kell

Won t know until tommorow, but I would not think it will be ready in 2 days, now Derek did say he will be in by 4 a.m. tommorow and may start Thusday as he can clear brush as he grooms....after he sleeps I will call and will post what he answers me. Wish I had more for you, but it so ify right now.

Kell

Thanks. I'll keep watching maybe I'll PM. We have reservation in both North Bay and New Liskeard for Thursday, so we'll be there.

All we can ask is that you don't go flying past us. Keep an eye out for a couple of AC Turbos and please don't run us over on your way by, we'll get out of your way. We'll even buy you an Export when we finally catch up.

Not sure of the exact timing yet. Tentatively:

Late 1/26 arrive Travelodge

Later 1/26 arrive Fanny's

Not too early 1/27 ride to 3 Bears

Not too early 1/28 ride to New Liskeard

Early 1/29 ride to North Bay and then drive to WNY.

Update on this trip:

Not too early 1/27 ride to 3 Bears

• Left Travelodge as planned and headed for 3 Bears. The trails around North Bay were okay, was able to get to AD without bruising a kidney. AD was very nice and smooth, rode it to the closed portion of "D". It was freshly groomed but not listed as open, we continued up to A104D, not wanting to cross an unstaked Tomiko Lake. A104D was rough, choppy for the whole length. Got back on "D" and ripped the old railroad bed ro River Vally. I think I hit 50 kmh once! Fueled up in River Valley and continued on C206D to the Sportsmans for lunch and topped off the sleds. Took C206D to 78 which was also listed as closed but we rode it anyway, it was in better shape this time that it was last time I rode it when it was listed as open. All of C206D and the south "C" were in very nice shape. We knew we were about to get into nthe closed portion of C", it was our intent to ride "C" for as long as we could and get onto Sandy Lake Road and ride that into Shining Tree. Didn't exactly work out that way, we got on the new "C" trail, it had only been traveled by snowmobiles, we rode it for quite sometime until it linked into A107C, we weren't sure where we were. 118 miles after getting gas at Smortsman, we arrived at Auld Reekie and learned about our error. We called Kelly and assured her we would arrive soon, fueled the sleds and too Route 560 to 3 Bears, arrived at 9:00. Total miles ridden 265. Kelly made us a wonderful steak dinner then joined us for a stimulating conversation about carpeting and Canadian cultural dancing....

Not too early 1/28 ride to New Liskeard

• Because of the wonderful conversation the night before which last until 1:00 for me and 2:00 for the rest of my group we didn't have our breakfast until 9:00, which, by the way was outstanding. We said our goodbye's with our heads still pounding and headed off to New Liskeard. There was about 4" of new snow on the ground, the conditions were very nice. We rode "C" to A107C, after a short time we saw that Urs had a flat tire on the groomer, he asked that we stop at the lodge and have them send some help for him, which we did. We wnet across the lake to top off the sleds at the Gowganda Lake camp and meet Ron and Giselle only to learn they went to Toronto for the weekend. Maybe next time. We continued on a very nice A107C all the way to Elk Lake. Just before Elk Lake we helped a couple of guys pull one sled out of a stream that had opened up on the trail, the skis and half the front of the machine were under water when we arrived. After the 6 of us pulled the machine out we blocked the hazard with some trees. The rest of the trip to New Liskeard was fast, again there is an old railbed that is used as part of "A" trail leaving Elk Lake. I think I may have hit 50 kmh again! The fields that comprise most of "A" trail outside of New Liskeard were in very good shape. There is not too much base but there is plenty of snow for riding. We walked down to Xante Bar and Grill for dinner, the ribs are worth getting. Not too many hockey moms hanging out at the pool at the Quality Inn, they probably read my posts.

Early 1/29 ride to North Bay and then drive to WNY

• "A" trail south all the way to North Bay. It was in very nice shape all the way. This trail is more technical than most we had ridden this trip. It's only about a 130 mile ride but it's a bit slow going in many places, Again, there was plenty of snow. Once approached North Bay it began getting rough very rough, the corners had been pushed in one direction and near town were those 2' mogels that just seem endless. I think I bruised kidney on these.

Over the 3 days we rode about 550 miles or 900 km and I would say on a scale of 1-10 the trails rated an 8. Get out and enjoy and be safe. I'm going to bed!

Glad your ride was all good........nice to see the carpet is still there......sometimes I lay down and have a rest on it while cleaning....haha

It was great to see all of you again.

Kelly

Great trip, great friends, great hosts, great trails, what more could a guy ask for? By the way Kelly we stake claim to that carpet....... :woot: and no carpet for you unless we are there :icon_lolsign:

Good afternoon Kelly, Do you have 2 chairs at my regular table for tonight. I'm bringing my own carpet. Also, Super Bowl, if you have those 2 same chairs Sunday evening we'll be there. Let me know. As an after thought, no I'm not shaving or cutting my hair. I hope it doesn't scare your guests. That's a fair ride and I don't want to get cold.

WE WILL BE ALL GROOMED, SIGNED AND STAKED ....... SHORT SEASON...BUT NONE THE LESS A SEASON.

PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH US AS I HAVE LOST MY WAITRESS.

KELLY

Archived