Shining Tree Trails

3 Bears

Well, the groomer went out last week and got our re route to Gogama done, not signed. The groomer had a flat tire and it is back to Shining Tree and hopefully will be repaired by Wednesday and will go back out next week.Last I talked to the Gogama Club ..... last Tues......... they had not been out grooming yet. Unfortunately, Sandy Lake Road is being logged on this year and is already ploughed which puts the ###???? to C trail to Sudbury. We have been told it will be down to gravel most of the winter. Will keep you posted on that and I will get in touch with the Gogama Club tommorow to let you know the status there.

Kelly

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the updates..

x2

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated

Thats too bad with all the logging going on, well GOOD that it is still going on, but too bad there isnt alternatives for when this

happens. I have seen many place, and up there at times, that they will leave a section wide enough for a groomer pass. Be just nice if they think of the folks that rely on the sledders to come to their establishments.

Any chance your heading towards gowganda? Planning on coming up this week. Was hoping the elk lake guys get out too.

Kelly, when we passed thru there in 2010, there was a reroute to the west of Shining Tree to get around the plowed road? It was a good trail. The only issue we had was following the route from your place to where the re-route started. Not sure if the signage had gotten disturbed or what. The trail north of 560 was great on the forest access road.

We are using the North trail along the 560 again, I will get ahold of Pat in Gogama today and see if he is grooming.....and will check with Elk Lake. Will be back on this aft.

Kelly

Just spoke to Elk Lake Work and Play......as far as they know, no grooming has been done and apoke to Gogama Club and they are not even CLOSE to starting to groom. Will update when I know more.......

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. We're hoping to come up in February. Please keep us updated on the logging. Did both ways in 2010, the reroute was much better and we coule really rip down the road. I need one of your famous steaks.

Will you have room for us sledders or are you full of Miners ( STG - that's with an "E") :tongue:

Kelly, just to confirm, is Sandy Lake road the C trail south to Sudbury? Heading north from your place to toward Timmins, is L143 called Grassy Road? Any word on whether or not that will be logged/plowed this winter? I recall 2yrs ago that the bottom end was plowed if I am not mistaken.

It was a good trail. The only issue we had was following the route from your place to where the re-route started. Not sure if the signage had gotten disturbed or what.

We were fortunate to come 'in' to the camp that year.

An awesome effort by 3 Bears to blaze a trail.

Also - are you guys still crazy busy due to miners and loggers??

Looking at the map, the Grassy Lake Rd is the part of TOP C between Hwy 560 & the C106A jct'. Grassy Lake is just east of here, Upper Grassy Lake is further south closer to 560.

Thanks Revrnd, I am really trying to figure out how L143 will be this winter. I may contact the Timmins club. I recall the mention of logging at the show and a possible future re-route of that trail onto a Hydro corridor.

I am going to drive to Grassy now and will let you know, but we re routed that trail along time ago ..... down the 560 and over to Gogama. Sandy Lake is plowed now. And always room for you Bob. We have miners in and hjad loggers in, Will let you know aboutg Grassy as of NOW....but Eacom, who is our forestry up here told us to assume Grassy is all done for sledding that we should find an alternative.

Kelly

We were fortunate to come 'in' to the camp that year.

An awesome effort by 3 Bears to blaze a trail.

Also - are you guys still crazy busy due to miners and loggers??

Some mining still going on...not crazy though

Went to Grassy...as of right now it is not plowed.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. I appreciate the first hand report. Based on your earlier report, you said the trail was re-routed years ago anyway so that means this doesn't impact the trails this year anyway.

Maybe you can clarify this for me, was this the old trail (Grassy Road) the one that was east of 3 Bears, when the trail into 3 bears was about 10KM or west off C? I rode this once, then a later year had the trail running righ in front of your drive way heading North and South. Just curious, I can also check my old TATA maps too.

Yes, that is correct...the only reason I update regarding Grassy is we get some sledders that like to know if it is plowed or not....as they will take it into Timmins if there is snow on it. We have some guys trailering here tommorow night and staying and then doing a run into Timmins Thursday.

Kelly

Just heard Sudbury is grooming tonight towards Shining Tree....we cannot yet as the logging is still going on Sandy Lake Road :icon_snow:

Kelly

Bro, (30cal4me) was asking @ the Dist' 14 booth about the trails south of Timmins for this winter. He was under the impression that L143 will be groomed this winter. Our last day (our shortest) takes us from Timmins to Gowganda via the L143.

Bro, (30cal4me) was asking @ the Dist' 14 booth about the trails south of Timmins for this winter. He was under the impression that L143 will be groomed this winter. Our last day (our shortest) takes us from Timmins to Gowganda via the L143.

Great, this is part of a possible day for me and L143 is a much nicer short cut to Gowganda, especially down L136 as well.

Kelly were going to try and get up from our place on Long Point lake, between gowganda and elk lake. I heard Urs groomed form gowganda towards you guys, have you guys done the section towards gowganda? Also can we go from your place to gogama?

Great, this is part of a possible day for me and L143 is a much nicer short cut to Gowganda, especially down L136 as well.

We've ridden L136 in the past, but I think it was getting a bit dusky, so I don't remember much about it.

Back around '04 a buddy & I rode from Timmins to Matach' via C & C106A when it was snowing pretty good. We hadn't gone to far east of TOP C towards Campbell Lake when we came to where the groomer turned around. The only thing I knew about Campbell Lake was from what I saw on TC.com, it always was slushy. Looked around & saw a goat path trail towards the lake. We take the goat path & get out on the ice. There was a staked line & the lake was fine other than the slush "pits" being frozen & pretty rough. Got to the other end of the lake where the other groomer had turned around. It was a great run on the old mining road towards Mistinikon Lake. We made it into New Liskeard later that afternoon, but it seemed to snow harder & harder the further south we rode.

We've ridden L136 in the past, but I think it was getting a bit dusky, so I don't remember much about it.

Back around '04 a buddy & I rode from Timmins to Matach' via C & C106A when it was snowing pretty good. We hadn't gone to far east of TOP C towards Campbell Lake when we came to where the groomer turned around. The only thing I knew about Campbell Lake was from what I saw on TC.com, it always was slushy. Looked around & saw a goat path trail towards the lake. We take the goat path & get out on the ice. There was a staked line & the lake was fine other than the slush "pits" being frozen & pretty rough. Got to the other end of the lake where the other groomer had turned around. It was a great run on the old mining road towards Mistinikon Lake. We made it into New Liskeard later that afternoon, but it seemed to snow harder & harder the further south we rode.

It is funny how the trail just goes from wide to goat path at the West side of Campbell lake... shoot across the lake up by the camp site and now your on the Elk Lake trail blazers trails if I am not mistaken. Great blast towards Matachewan. L136 is one of those hidden gems really. It is a beautiful access road almost all the way down to Gowganda except for the few km's in the middle that a groomer can't run through.... taking this route to Gowganda saves about 100K vs going all TOP trails.

Archived