Some more Brushing on D

SlowTouringGuy

Saturday turned out to be beauty weather for a day in the bush. But, wow, is it wet !!! TONS of water out there, damns overflowing and lots of water on the trail. It's going to be a while freezing it up.

A lot of exposed rock and rough terrain on this section of D

IMG-20111126-00416.jpg

Intersection of Snowcrest 3 and TOP D

IMG-20111126-00412.jpg

The '3' trail is looking a little Damp !

IMG-20111126-00411.jpg

IMG-20111126-00410.jpg

IMG-20111126-00409.jpg

It's a long slow day on this section but could have been much longer and much slower. The majority of work was clearing up pine branches that came down in last week's heavy snow. There couldn't have been more than a half dozen occasions when the chain saw was working.

IMG-20111126-00408.jpg

It's a trail that needs LOTS of snow to get open. Pack with sleds, then start pulling snow in from the bush to start filling the holes and crevices, before packing and before grooming. It was easy to follow the trail Saturday - just follow the stud marks in the Canadian Shield !

IMG-20111126-00417.jpg

Here is a pic from the same area but last season

District7riding011.jpg

District7riding009.jpg

love riding those trails....only hear the rock on runners...usually .don t get to see it

Great work, group.

Just noticed that the area to the west of you is under a weather advisory (Parry Sound, Rosseau). Glad you weren't fighting the elements on Saturday.

love riding those trails....only hear the rock on runners...usually .don t get to see it

Carbides "clicking" the rocks is a familiar sound on D between Kahshe and Gravenhurst. ! :-D Kudos to the Groomer Operators that can give us a smooth ride on that terrain !!

Great work, group.

Just noticed that the area to the west of you is under a weather advisory (Parry Sound, Rosseau). Glad you weren't fighting the elements on Saturday.

Or, even, in yesterday's rain ! We have more than an advisory here now. We have a 'freezing rain warning in effect'. Bold and RED background. Looks like the next 48 hours are a mix of freezing rain, rain, snow, ice pellets and temps ranging from +1 to -9. Thank goodness I made a mercy run to the LCBO in time to be storm stayed. Then we are into a mixed bag of rain/snow/whoknowswhat'sgoingtohappenI'monlyaweatherman. It sure would be helpful to trail prep to have a number of days strung together with highs below zero and nightly lows in the minus double digits.

Or, even, in yesterday's rain ! We have more than an advisory here now. We have a 'freezing rain warning in effect'. Bold and RED background. Looks like the next 48 hours are a mix of freezing rain, rain, snow, ice pellets and temps ranging from +1 to -9. Thank goodness I made a mercy run to the LCBO in time to be storm stayed. Then we are into a mixed bag of rain/snow/whoknowswhat'sgoingtohappenI'monlyaweatherman. It sure would be helpful to trail prep to have a number of days strung together with highs below zero and nightly lows in the minus double digits.

At least you're seeing minus digits, all we're seeing in Lambton is above freezing for the foreseeable future ,up to 50mm of rain near term. Hope they're wrong but doubt it.

I remember that day ! Do I ?

It was in march I think. We had rain and melt all day Saturday, then it got cold and snowed all night. It was probably one of the best rides of the season. The traffic was quite because everyone thought all the snow melted and there was no base. Awesome ride.

Archived