Halfway Haven - Summer Only

Ox

I can tell u, part of the problem with lack of northern traffic this year was largely in part due to the conditions in the south. Warwick S/C struggles to get 200h/groomer. This past season they had 900h between the 2 groomers and that was with substantial down time. It was an extremely good winter down here. Riders typically get a bit of riding in here and head north when our condition deteriorate, well it didn't happen this year, in March we had a solid 15" of base on the trail.

The north has seen 2 bad winters in a row, 1 because of the economy and 1 because of snow conditions in the south. It will come back if there are places to go, North Bay, through Liskeard, Cochrane and on to Hearst will survive and will reap benefits when the southern conditions falter. I wish the same could b said about the central northern portion of the province.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve and Gail have had Halfway for sale now for 3 years. They had an investment group fly in and look at it for $325,000. Unfortunately they didn't buy it.

They are building a retirement cabin in da bush right now and can't be blamed for bailing. The cost of fuel to run the generator and the work involved to keep fuel and supplies on hand would take a toll on a younger couple. They've earned their winter retirement. Fortunately for 6 Snomads, we were the last winter guests on the last weekend in Feb this year.

Prior to them opening in '98, we used to buy gas from sheds just north of Halfway, supplied by Willie Smedts from the Bristol in Wawa. Willie and his son groomed from Wawa to the Sault taking 29 hours of nonstop grooming each way! He had a rack on the drags that held fuel cans for the sheds. We'd call the Bristol with a credit card number and he'd give us the combination to the locks.

Gas was $28 for 5 gals plus a $15 drop fee. Those were the days.

I'm planning a snow train trip from Searchmont to Hearst for next March and without gas at Aubrey Falls, it won't work. Please keep me posted as to fuel availability. :logik:

Combination?

THAT sounds like the best bet!

In '96/'97 he had a key hanging in the tree with (I think) a float type keychain. (think boat key)

I saw that deal as a :icon_doh: if someone ever dropped that key in the powder. Or worse - thought that they hung it up fine and it dropped in the snow at the base of the tree and the next guy wouldn't have a clue where to look! :icon_doh::cry2:

When we got to the first gas box - it was dry. We didn't make it to the 2nd gas box - after burning 16 gal while breaking the best snow ever seen!

Missedturn3-97.jpg

Ever sort through 32 jugs of air (twice!) looking for an extra drop? :wtf:

Back then - that trail was listed on the map as 150 miles, but at 120 miles we still hadn't found our gas supply, was empty, and hadn't even made it to the R/R yet. I knew the trail was a lot longer than 150! :logik:

It was 170 then, and I think the way it is used these days it is still about 170. (Chopped some off on the S side and added some on on the N side since then)

One thing that you never had to worrie aboot was if you were on the right track. Willie had more smiley faced arrow signs that read "Bristol - Wawa" than Carter had liver pills! It was one of those signs that I saw at the very last second that made me hang a hard left into the bush where we ran down into that ditch in the pic above. I think a few still exist in the unused sections of the old trail.

March18SaultStar.jpg

Fortunately for 6 Snomads, we were the last winter guests on the last weekend in Feb this year.

Me and my Chumm were of the very first group of sleds in 12/98. Again - after breaking trail 90% of the way there - and thinking that we passed it in the dark somehow. Slept in the snowbank that night, and a group from the Soo and a cpl from DownState that was planning on being an hr or two behind us the day before finally cought up and gave us a swig of gas each and we all pushed on to Halfway for the night. :mrgreen:

...leaving about 3 sleds on the trail out-of-gas - but all close to Halfway that it wasn't a big deal. :right_on:

What a story, Ox!

You not only know the local history, but you're a part of it.

awesome history lesson sleddog and Ox. Remembering the way it use to b. The sad part is,it looks like there is a real good chance that this situation is going to go full circle. Will the touring sledders b so lucky to have someone drop gas again as they did back then? I think the answer is "probably not". To bad some millionaire wouldn't put some fang dangled solar powered cardlock system in at Halfway, that would b the way to do it.

BTW - That was the trip that we burnt 20 gal EACH trying to push it open just to git to Halfway! It's a real good thing that Halfway was there! That 20 gal should have gotten us to Wawa any other day...

It was 3 to 3-1/2' deep very heavy snow in one fell swoop. Breaking trail was a monumental feat! Spent several hours on one hill (long grade really) that doesn't even appear to be a hill in the summer or when the trail is broken/groomed. We stopped and made camp at 12:Midnight after 15 hrs of fighting the trail.

Earlier in the day - just as dusk was setting in (flat light) the trail turned into the bush and I was plowing along and thought the trail went straight, but just as I got to a certain point I saw the trail open up to my left, and that "open spot" ahead of me was a giant snow covered boulder. Kind'a puts you in mind of Loony Tunes drawing an escape circle or whatnot eh? I grabbed brake, but it was too late. Wiped out the F/R suspension completely. Broke another 50+ klicks of trail that night w/o able to tell any difference. But returning on broken trail was a real PITA! :blush:

LOTS and LOTS of work, but remember it like it was yesterdee. Abso-posati-lutely love it! :mrgreen:

Haven't had any trips with our new ('02) sleds that are anywhere's as memorable as the early days sporting only 600 x 136's. Maybe b/c they are so much more capable of what we doo with them?

Combination?

THAT sounds like the best bet!

In '96/'97 he had a key hanging in the tree with (I think) a float type keychain. (think boat key)

I saw that deal as a :icon_doh: if someone ever dropped that key in the powder. Or worse - thought that they hung it up fine and it dropped in the snow at the base of the tree and the next guy wouldn't have a clue where to look! :icon_doh::cry2:

When we got to the first gas box - it was dry. We didn't make it to the 2nd gas box - after burning 16 gal while breaking the best snow ever seen!

Missedturn3-97.jpg

Ever sort through 32 jugs of air (twice!) looking for an extra drop? :wtf:

Back then - that trail was listed on the map as 150 miles, but at 120 miles we still hadn't found our gas supply, was empty, and hadn't even made it to the R/R yet. I knew the trail was a lot longer than 150! :logik:

It was 170 then, and I think the way it is used these days it is still about 170. (Chopped some off on the S side and added some on on the N side since then)

One thing that you never had to worrie aboot was if you were on the right track. Willie had more smiley faced arrow signs that read "Bristol - Wawa" than Carter had liver pills! It was one of those signs that I saw at the very last second that made me hang a hard left into the bush where we ran down into that ditch in the pic above. I think a few still exist in the unused sections of the old trail.

March18SaultStar.jpg

Me and my Chumm were of the very first group of sleds in 12/98. Again - after breaking trail 90% of the way there - and thinking that we passed it in the dark somehow. Slept in the snowbank that night, and a group from the Soo and a cpl from DownState that was planning on being an hr or two behind us the day before finally cought up and gave us a swig of gas each and we all pushed on to Halfway for the night. :mrgreen:

...leaving about 3 sleds on the trail out-of-gas - but all close to Halfway that it wasn't a big deal. :right_on:

Ox,

My freinds from Waldron, Mi. told me this story years back when I first told them I was riding in Ontario from the Soo north. (They have the grain elevator in town)

It made me think twice the first time I took off north from Searchmont.

The sleds are so much more capable now, but to not respect what you are heading out into would be a big mistake!

I knew you had a lot of experience out between Halfway and Chapleau, but I never realized you were one of those guys!

Fantastic story!

Waldron is more my chumms stomping grounds. (The guy in the ditch)

He actually ran the bar in town for a few yrs back.

I have been to the elevator there with my chumm once several yrs ago, and talked to your chumms. Was very likely around this same time...

Fortunately for 6 Snomads, we were the last winter guests on the last weekend in Feb this year.

Hmmm ..... The e-mail that I got said that you guys cancelled your trip for this spring.

Now I see how y'are.... :blink:

:poke2:

OurTracksDontLast.gif

Here is a pic of my chumm on Wednesday before our weekend in the bush in March '97.

This was at Mary Lake in S Michigan.

I helped him pull in his boat lift the previous Dec after he took his last trip around the lake. :headbang:

If you have never experienced it - let me tell you how cold that water is when you find that your 15 yr old chest waders have dry-rotted at the seams... :-o

Samski3-97.jpg

Hmmm ..... The e-mail that I got said that you guys cancelled your trip for this spring.

Now I see how y'are.... :blink:

:poke2:

OurTracksDontLast.gif

Here is a pic of my chumm on Wednesday before our weekend in the bush in March '97.

This was at Mary Lake in S Michigan.

I helped him pull in his boat lift the previous Dec after he took his last trip around the lake. :headbang:

If you have never experienced it - let me tell you how cold that water is when you find that your 15 yr old chest waders have dry-rotted at the seams... :-o

Samski3-97.jpg

We did cancel the March Boondockers Bonanza. I had 4 Newbies that had never been to Ontario riding and took advantage of the opportunity while there was still snow, the last weekend in Feb. We played off trail some, but due to the exposed land mines we had to be careful. Plus, when we did find a 20 mile diameter of good snow, we had to keep digging out the Yamapotamous 4 stroke we had with us.

Enjoyed your story Ox. Sometime I'll tell ya one about 5 guys riding in March that got caught in a freezing rain storm and had literally a 1/4 inch of ice covering them. Couldn't even unzip your jackets. Had to chop the locks of the gas shed with a roofing hammer.

Although Halfway is closing for the winter, we will still ride that area, even if we have to trailer to Wawa and off load at Anjigami. See ya in da bush Ox.

oh there is no doubt we will still ride this area but, in what capacity? truely this isnt about us, those that are prepared, and the seasoned off trail veterans we know what to expect. this is about the liability for the clubs, the districts and the ofsc for those not prepared thinking there is fuel. food, shelter and or lodging in this no mans land, between wawa and searchmont.

i havent saw a warm up shack on either the D or the F in this area in the last 5 years, are there still any there??

i hate to think someone could get turned around out there, in bad weather or -30,-40,-50 for any length of time with no shelter, or services. it might not be pretty. i am hoping the new ofsc printed maps, and online maps have GREAT BIG DISCLAIMERS, THAT THERE IS NO FUEL, OR SERVICES AVILABLE FOR OVER 170 MILES.

ski

Good point Ski. The warming shack 12 miles north of Halfway no longer has a stove and the other shack that used to be where the gas sheds used to be, just south of the tracks at Anjigami was gone this year.

Hopefully Jonesy and the Wawa Trail Riders can help out with a couple new shacks along the way.

They could take a look at the awesome job done by Luc and the Dubreuilville gang with their shacks. Stoves, firewood, fridge, Lazy Boy recliners and a 40 inch flat screen with satelite dish featuring the Hockey channel and the Peeler channel. :rotflmao:

oh there is no doubt we will still ride this area but, in what capacity? truely this isnt about us, those that are prepared, and the seasoned off trail veterans we know what to expect. this is about the liability for the clubs, the districts and the ofsc for those not prepared thinking there is fuel. food, shelter and or lodging in this no mans land, between wawa and searchmont.

i havent saw a warm up shack on either the D or the F in this area in the last 5 years, are there still any there??

i hate to think someone could get turned around out there, in bad weather or -30,-40,-50 for any length of time with no shelter, or services. it might not be pretty. i am hoping the new ofsc printed maps, and online maps have GREAT BIG DISCLAIMERS, THAT THERE IS NO FUEL, OR SERVICES AVILABLE FOR OVER 170 MILES.

ski

Well said, Old maps are a real problem for this type of thing, Im just sorry I had not yet done the trip when they were open.

Rich

Good point Ski. The warming shack 12 miles north of Halfway no longer has a stove and the other shack that used to be where the gas sheds used to be, just south of the tracks at Anjigami was gone this year.

Hopefully Jonesy and the Wawa Trail Riders can help out with a couple new shacks along the way.

They could take a look at the awesome job done by Luc and the Dubreuilville gang with their shacks. Stoves, firewood, fridge, Lazy Boy recliners and a 40 inch flat screen with satelite dish featuring the Hockey channel and the Peeler channel. :rotflmao:

so both of the "shacks" you speak of were north of halfway? now there is only one??? there are about 80 miles of hydroline/trail from halfway to wawa.... no shacks between searchmont and halfway at all???? and there 90 miles of trail, mostly bush roads there... lots of things can go wrong in 170 miles. with no FUEL, shelter, tools, ect... bad things are going to happen to someone or some group.

i dont think we can lay this on the clubs, as much as the districs and the OFSC. the clubs in question dont have the funds or man power, let alone the time to provide in building these shelters. are they needed? YOU BET! but, who will pay for the materials, time ect???? the ofsc will need to step in here and help or provide the money to add these shelters to this area to prevent the inevitable.

PERSONALLY.... THERE SHOULD BE A SHELTER EVERY 25-30 MILES FROM SEARCHMONT TO WAWA. then at your worst, you are only a 12.5-15 mile walk, ride, ect... to get to a shelter that WILL save a life. i really hope someone that can do something about this, is monitoring this situation and this thread.

ski

Historically - the first shack N bound was the one that we were cooped up in for a cpl days there at the Bauparlant Rd intersection just N of Halfway. The second one was just where the trail USED to turn S onto the hydroline at the Crossover Rd. I am sure the Crossover shack was the first as the Bauparlant Rd was brand new in the mid 90's.

I am sure some-one can scrounge up a pot-bellied stove for the mid-point one easy enough.

If they were to put another one in N of the Bauparlant shack I would think that they could put it at Anjigammi. And then there is usually some amount of traffic there on any weekend day. If The Soo was to put one in at Point Lake and Ranger North would be good and easilly serviced off season, as well - has good chopper access to it via Ranger N. (Many places on that rd large enough to set down...)

I have never known of a shack S of Halfway ever.

then at your worst, you are only a 12.5-15 mile walk, ride, ect... to get to a shelter that WILL save a life.

I can tell you from experience that you aint walking onward into deep snow 20 klicks.

"I can tell you from experience that you aint walking onward into deep snow 20 klicks."

Amen to that. That's why I have a nylon cover strapped to my rear bumper. It can be pulled over the sled and used like a tent in an emergency.

Been riding from Searchmont to Wawa since the early 90's and never seen a shack between Halfway and Searchmont.

The Point Lk Ranger Rd intersection would be a good spot for a warming shack. Problem is, the horse is already out of the barn.

Ski is right though, the OFSC needs to put a HUGE sign on Whitman Dam Rd out of Searchmont advising anyone from trying to get through to Wawa without knowing what is or better yet isn't out there.

A "sign" of the times.

I have never known of a shack S of Halfway ever.

I can tell you from experience that you aint walking onward into deep snow 20 klicks.

my thought was typed thinking, IF the trail was in and groomed.

if ungroomed, even if broke open by sleds.... all bets are off.

again, this just gives my concern more teeth. something bad could happen with or without proper warning to the travelers of this corridor.

ski

Ski is right though, the OFSC needs to put a HUGE sign on Whitman Dam Rd out of Searchmont advising anyone from trying to get through to Wawa without knowing what is or better yet isn't out there.

This season there was a warning sign on the road just past the trading post in Searchmont which stated no gas for 160 km. My wife and I along with another couple rode to Halfway for dinner and came across one of the "hot rods" who had come screaming past us earlier. He was out of gas and sitting on his sled waiting and hoping his buddy would return from Halfway Haven with a can of gas. I had an extra can with me in my pack and gave him a gallon of gas. It was just before the Chapleau trail turn off, dark and snowing hard.

He told me that there was a sign which said it was only "60 miles" to Halfway Haven and he had seen it in Searchmont, which is why he knew it would be OK for him to ride all out and not worry about gas!

He was from Michigan and was complaining about the sign being wrong! These two guys were having a great time, but had no idea about the trail and had not read the sign correctly. We spoke to Steve at dinner and he laughed when he heard the 60 mile figure thrown out.

The sign is going to have to be pretty big to save these guys, but could save many who are out of touch!

After dinner we rode back to the Blueberry Motel (124 miles - no gas open). The next time we stopped at Halfway, Gail told us everyone was in shock that the four of us were riding after dinner and leaving at 8:30pm in a snow storm. We all laughed.

Would it make sense for the District to purchase Halfway Haven as a 'clubhouse'?

I'm sure folks would like to see Halfway Haven continue as a private restaurant/lodge, but a variety of factors suggest that this may not work on a 'go forward' basis.

There's a sentiment that $$ should go into trails, and not clubhouses. An argument can be made, however, that a Halfway Haven clubhouse is necessary for rider safety and the continued operation of the north-west trail system. An investment in this facility is an investment in trails.

last i knew they wanted several hundred thousand dollars for the business and buildings. i dont think the ofsc would entertain any sort of buying of property for just budget reasons. signage, education, and multiple warm up shacks seem to be the only solution to avoid a no grooming temp/permanent closure.

4 shacks in 170 miles seems reasonable. now we just need to help get it done. still going to be almost impossible to go from searchmont to wawa, or wawa to searchmont without carrying ALOT of fuel.

on a groomed trail you may be able to get upward of 14 mpg or alittle more, now is not the time to boast about fuel mileage, your life or your groups life may depend on it. if there is fresh snow, deep or not... it will effect mileage, as well as how far you push the happy lever down. in deep snow you may not even see close to 10 mpg.

at 14 mpg you "could" need over 12 u.s gallons of fuel. at 13 mpg you would need over 13 gallons. at 12 mpg, you would need over 14 gallons. some sleds have tanks as small as 7 gallons, some have tanks up to 12 gallons. bottom line is you need to know your sled, and add for emergencies, problems, and a saftey margin.

it is going to be interesting for sure. i am hoping the snow train people add this to their brochures and website or there will be some very upset people on one end, or the other. or there could be a tragedy in this area, at some point due to the remoteness and lack of services for this wilderness type of trail. ski

Would it make sense for the District to purchase Halfway Haven as a 'clubhouse'?

I'm sure folks would like to see Halfway Haven continue as a private restaurant/lodge, but a variety of factors suggest that this may not work on a 'go forward' basis.

There's a sentiment that $$ should go into trails, and not clubhouses. An argument can be made, however, that a Halfway Haven clubhouse is necessary for rider safety and the continued operation of the north-west trail system. An investment in this facility is an investment in trails.

I trust that you have never been to Halfway?

THAT place is a full time job in the winter jist to keep the doors open. (and the frost out)

This is NOT a clubhouse...

I am sure that the Soo Trailblazers will have a 4 x 8 sign out - hopefully right at the point where the "trail" turns off into the bush off The Whitman just past the dump.

If the trail is "broken" it is about as good as groomed other than comfort. A day old broken trail is hard and traction is not an issue. Of course - you can "fall off" the hardpack and stuff a ski 2' down into the powder and nigh tip over a 4' wide snowmachine....

On our first ever trip to Ontario we had all kinds of provissions. Flares to start farrs is one thing that I can remember.... We had 6 gal gas each in jerry cans as well - ratt from the git go. However - my chumms short track machine had cracked the tunnel from carrying the can, and he opted to go can-less on our third trip there that yr. I had mine and he would buy from the "gas box" troll. (Better than calling Willie a Fairy eh? LOL!)

We have had 10 gal extra fuel capacity ever since then on two of the machines! Also started carrying blue tarps and -30* sleeping bags - which we have used in a snowbank as previously posted. :icon_naughty:

Pol02tankandseatmounted.jpg

Of course this was the ride that we neded it the mst as they got 15" of snow the day before. So - kind'a my point is, a known groomed trail that doesn't see so much traffic can become as an unbroken trail in a few hours - short of trail signs. This could actually be a bigger deal for those going S on Sunday after a huge storm on Sat. ???

In our case - it was mid March, and there wasn't eneyone else comming anymore that yr. We figgered the groomer would be past by Thursday at the latest, only to find out they were done grooming for the yr. :icon_doh:

If it was to be busy, the security issues wouldn't be too bad, short of a break down on Sunday afternoon somewhere N of the Domtar. ... Assuming that you are the last one comming S from Wawa for the weekend....

If your breaking trail on Fri / Sat you would think that others would be comming behind you, and the same going S on Sunday. But with the little traffic that they saw this last two yrs, it could be very hard jump-starting the trail aggin. Amazing tho - as I would say that this was THE most used trail in N Ontario in the last 10 yrs!

This will be the biggest issue:

(Pic taken Dec 99)

KiethDec99.jpg

in deep snow you may not even see close to 10 mpg.

On my old carbed 580 twin with a 136 and my chumm on board (after he ran out of gas - we didn't put any fuel in his) and breaking trail - I seemed to get 4mpg.

Yep,

Been there.

My suggestion was to utilize the existing structures as a 'clubhouse' ('a building used by members of a club'). Ofsc is the club and this is the structure.

I would think that this will lose "TOP Trail" status, and I would guess that the push will be on the trail from The Soo to Aubrey that was posted above will be the main trail N? I hafta think that trail sees more snow than D along the lake down in farm country. ???

As long as someone will be open in the Aubry area and Chapleau is open for business, I would bet F will be the main trial N - at least this next yr.

My suggestion was to utilize the existing structures as a 'clubhouse' ('a building used by members of a club'). Ofsc is the club and this is the structure.

They are NOT out of business by any means. These are NOT abandoned structures. They still are in full bloom for ATV's all summer, Bear and Moose hunters in the fall, as well as many times in the past loggers and road builders have stayed there for months at a time. (during the week)

The summer traffic has proven to be much more than expected, and they don't need to run the genset 24/7. The first yr I rolled through on wheels - they were not open in the summer.

truely, this is an issue that needs further SERIOUS review. signs are not going to cut it. we have all saw the citiots (idiots from the city). thinking there are services every few miles, similar to the southern trail systems. they cannot fathom the temps, the distances between stops ect... let alone preparing for any emergencies. "heck i dont need to prepare... i got a cell phone, i'll just call for help". NO CELL PHONE SERVICE IN THE CANYON!!!!

karen and gary at flame lake told us of a large group out of elliot lake, heading to timmins for lunch. yes that is right.... elliot lake to timmins, FOR LUNCH! you would be hard pressed to do that in 12-15 hours (or more) of straight running, no problems and very few stops. the "leader" said, it is only this far, on the map. LOL! the girls were in tears (seriously) when they found out their situation, and their misjudgement.

this is played out over and over, year after year. i have saw groups leave people out of gas and broken down on the trail. i have saw them on closed trails, wondering why they were not signed or groomed, while we are riding offtrail, asking why we carry axes, back packs and gas. i have saw groups with ofsc patches on their clothing not buying gas between dubreuilville and chapleau, saying they dont need it. it is insane what some people do (or dont do) to prepare to ride this truely wilderness area.

maybe the best bet is to contact the snow train people, and ask them to consider posting the warnings, disclaimers, or even making a policy not to drop people off, only to pick them up. because we all know what is going to happen... some group is going to get dropped at hawk or further north, and then try to make it from wawa south and run into the no gas or services sign in wawa, and THEN try to figure out what they are going to do. and what are they going to do? try it anyway. then the clubs, districts, opp, mto ect... will have rescue bills on their hands.

i am really glad the discussion has kept on track, and we really are not bickering about this. the powers that be need to see this. it will be a great topic to discuss at the agm, and any other meeting big or small. ski

Archived