April 4th, 2011

Big Reg

all loaded up, ready to leave. heading out in a few minutes. we will be fishing before dark if all goes well. forcast changed a bit from what i see. appears no rain till sunday now. temps are going to be warm but, with the base and the fresh snowfall that you guys rec'd on monday and tuesday.... today, tomorrow, and probably saturday, the trails will be decent. sunday when the rain comes in may hurt a bit in certain areas but, for all practical purposes, this weekend should be a good one to finish the season with.

if anyone makes it up, we are staying 3 houses north of the fuel pumps in dubreuilville on the same side of the road. #10 rue des pin is the address. we have a white gmc with a white trailer, we ride 2 white arctic cat m8's and we both dress like out of work circus folk so, you cant miss us LOL! :icon_naughty::headbang::icon_doh::rolleyes::wavey:

come look us up. or say hi on the trails. hoping ernie reads this and is at home this weekend. i could use an ernie burger. :poke2: ski

Hope you guys have a great weekend Eric. they've been way off on the forcast lately. It didn't get much above freezing yesterday and here it is 1030 am and still -2c today.

we'll see. Ride while you can.

This is an awfully late post for the subject, but:

There was mention of comming up from Searchmont into Wawa in the posts above earlier this week. Keep in mind that Halfway Haven is closed for the season and will re-open in a nother month for ATV's.

Steve and Gail may be there yet, but they will be out before the roads git impassable. They will likely be gone for a few weeks on vacation. If they are still there, they will likely stuff some gas in your tank, but don't bank on them being there w/o calling ahead first!

Some of you can prolly make the <300 klicks on one tank and maybe a 2 gal jerry tho. Just so long as you are not banking on fuel w/o calling ahead...

I too would agree that if you did make the treck up the D to Wawa, that you could prolly park behind a snowbank somewhere at the skewl near the trailhead and walk in from there. Not sure how you plan to fuel them up, but .. ????

Prolly be best jist to trailer to Wawa and ride N from there...

here's a teaser for those that decided to sit home and talk about riding, v.s just suckin it up and heading up to ride......

ski

post-19738-0-84063200-1302321934_thumb.j

post-19738-0-24623600-1302322004_thumb.j

post-19738-0-80820800-1302322176_thumb.j

post-19738-0-97011200-1302322252_thumb.j

here's a teaser for those that decided to sit home and talk about riding, v.s just suckin it up and heading up to ride......

ski

I tried really hard to find someone that wanted to go with me...no luck. I was tempted to go alone but its not somewhere I have been before and I wasn't sure how many people there would be up there riding. I wait to hear that the rain in the forecast doesn't happen or even better puts fresh snow on your trail!

Happy Riding!

Linda

thanks for the well wishes "linda". was hoping you would find someone to come up with too. you should have came up anyway. the house here at chez gaston has an upper and lower level, complete with bathroom and shower so, you could have your own privacy. my wife probably would have enjoyed having another female to ride with too. always nice to meet and ride with new people.

town really sux, i wont lie but, a guy was here on thursday doing the cochrane loop. he was heading back through hornepayne and hearst yesterday. although i didnt get a chance to talk with him, he seemed happy with the trails, and very adventurous to be traveling alone, from what the folks and chez gaston and my wife told me.

we trailered out of town yesterday and ended up with riding just shy of 100 miles on the sleds, with awesome conditions. we didnt start till about 200pm, and were fishin by 600pm so, you can still cover some ground if you choose. the snow on the roads took a beating yesterday. we trailered out on mixed snow, and gravel spots on the road. on the way back to town... almost all of the snow was gone off the road in most places, leaving water and mud, making it very messy for the trucks.

i am SOOOOOOOOO GLAD, i didnt opt to drop where i was going to. we would have had one heck of a time getting back to the trailer. the bad spot was not a trail, this was a plowed road out to where the grooming starts, heading toward missanabi. this is the road/trail the dubreuilville club groomed to access the newly revamped F trail section, that they worked so hard on (thank you guys!) the railroad plowed a 13.5 km section to get access to their tracks in the winter. this was a small inconvenience for the sledders at this time of year, but, needed by the railway to have their maintainence access.

the clubs have done an amazing job with the amount of snow they rec'd this year (lower than normal). mother nature blessed this area with late season snows, and normal seasonal highs and lows allowing the snow and trails to hang around well into april. this weekends riding has given us yet another, 5 month riding season. meaning, we have rode at least a few days in every month, december to april, all on what i consider premium riding conditions, no marginal conditions at all. was a great season. sad to see it go.

i will try to get more pics up later. ski

thanks for the well wishes "linda". was hoping you would find someone to come up with too. you should have came up anyway. the house here at chez gaston has an upper and lower level, complete with bathroom and shower so, you could have your own privacy. my wife probably would have enjoyed having another female to ride with too. always nice to meet and ride with new people.

town really sux, i wont lie but, a guy was here on thursday doing the cochrane loop. he was heading back through hornepayne and hearst yesterday. although i didnt get a chance to talk with him, he seemed happy with the trails, and very adventurous to be traveling alone, from what the folks and chez gaston and my wife told me.

we trailered out of town yesterday and ended up with riding just shy of 100 miles on the sleds, with awesome conditions. we didnt start till about 200pm, and were fishin by 600pm so, you can still cover some ground if you choose. the snow on the roads took a beating yesterday. we trailered out on mixed snow, and gravel spots on the road. on the way back to town... almost all of the snow was gone off the road in most places, leaving water and mud, making it very messy for the trucks.

i am SOOOOOOOOO GLAD, i didnt opt to drop where i was going to. we would have had one heck of a time getting back to the trailer. the bad spot was not a trail, this was a plowed road out to where the grooming starts, heading toward missanabi. this is the road/trail the dubreuilville club groomed to access the newly revamped F trail section, that they worked so hard on (thank you guys!) the railroad plowed a 13.5 km section to get access to their tracks in the winter. this was a small inconvenience for the sledders at this time of year, but, needed by the railway to have their maintainence access.

the clubs have done an amazing job with the amount of snow they rec'd this year (lower than normal). mother nature blessed this area with late season snows, and normal seasonal highs and lows allowing the snow and trails to hang around well into april. this weekends riding has given us yet another, 5 month riding season. meaning, we have rode at least a few days in every month, december to april, all on what i consider premium riding conditions, no marginal conditions at all. was a great season. sad to see it go.

i will try to get more pics up later. ski

Any recent pics

have pics and vid, just returned home last night late. trying to get things cleaned up, back to work ect... will post soon, probably in another thread, with a ride blog to finish the season. things are done up there now. it was

+10-+15 for 3 days, and with sundays rain and thunder storms really put a beating on the snow. it went from snow in all the yards on friday, to a bare town in 48 hours. the trails held up remarkably well though. we could have rode alot more even yesterday, if we would have trailered out further. very nice end to our season, never saw another sled on the trails in 3 days. ski

have pics and vid, just returned home last night late. trying to get things cleaned up, back to work ect... will post soon, probably in another thread, with a ride blog to finish the season. things are done up there now. it was

+10-+15 for 3 days, and with sundays rain and thunder storms really put a beating on the snow. it went from snow in all the yards on friday, to a bare town in 48 hours. the trails held up remarkably well though. we could have rode alot more even yesterday, if we would have trailered out further. very nice end to our season, never saw another sled on the trails in 3 days. ski

Glad you are back safe and sound! I will try to connect with you two next season. Did you manage to get some fishing in?

Linda

yep, we fished every night but sunday (to tired from riding) LOL! caught a few walleye, perch, and pike. lynne had a trophy class speckled trout out of the hole, and it broke the line, did a perfect somersault, landed head first in the hole. even though i was right there to witness, and dove my arm all the way to the shoulder in the frigid water, i was unable to catch it. LOL! she pouted, and was very upset all day long.

it was awesome to see her get that excited, to actually lift the fish out of the hole by the light monofilament, forgetting not to horse the fish out, and then to break the line, was heart wrenching. it would have been her very first trout caught ever, and it was a dandy. rough guess was 20-22" 2-3 pounds. we definately would have had it mounted. it looked like this one i caught 3 weeks ago.

the lakes still had over 2 feet of ice on them when we left monday. i have a video of riding saturday, but i cant figure out how to post it. it is about 500 kb. any help would be appreciated.

linda, dont hesitate to send us a private message here when you are interested in riding. would love to show you around up there or, at least point you in the right direction.

ski

post-19738-0-61057400-1302632034_thumb.j

I have only done a vid once, and I loaded it to Photobucket. It took about 4 hrs to load, but only 3 minutes to view. :unsure:

Go figger!

Was it too wet to break trail?

Archived