Abitibi Canyon Loop (pics)

jigger

We did the Abitibi Canyon Loop today. Left from Kapuskasing Top A to Smooth Rock Falls, had breakfast at Smoothies. 90km up to the extreme tours camp. Passed four sleds on the way up no oncoming traffic. Trails were in great shape. Saw a couple of blown belts this side of the loop has some long straight runs. Fuel up took 18L on the RX-1 17L on the Apex. Passed approximately seven sleds on the way back to Cochrane. Sign stated 160km to Cochrane but I think it was more like 135 km-140km. The plowed section of the trail was a little rough but passible. A construction company is taking out a road bridge and has signs up at the Top A just north of Cochrane. We never saw any signs on the other end. The front end loader moved out of the way and we made our way through. Filled up in Cochrane 30 L for the RX-1 31L for the Apex. Coffee break then back to Kap. Approximately 500km loop in all. The Abitibi canyon loop is a must for any sledders traveling or living in this area. Here's some photos. Most were taken on the fly.

Trail north from SRF

P1020898.jpg

P1020899.jpg

P1020900.jpg

View of the dam (old photo) the river was flowing today

P1020416.jpg

Plowed road section about 15km long

P1020901.jpg

P1020902.jpg

River crossing

P1020910.jpg

Trail on the Cochrane side

P1020907.jpg

P1020908.jpg

P1020918.jpg

Great Pics. I love the loop up to the canyon.

Awesome

:)

I'm heading up to Kirkland tonight.. riding up to Cochrane, Smooth Rock, Abitibi Canyon all tomorrow! Can't wait... looks like some fresh snow in the area!

WOW! Sounds like a long day! Have fun!

Great pics jigger

That was my buddy and I that were talking with you during lunch at the trailer.

Thought I would add a couple of pictures to your post.

The power line through the canyon

NorthernOntario022.jpg

This is the 20 km plowed section of the Cochrane side of the loop, as jigger said; it’s passable.

NorthernOntario024.jpg

This is a sign that we think the construction crew had put up to reduce trafic even though the OFSC lists the trail as limited/open.

looking north from the A trail on the Cochrane side of the loop.

NorthernOntario020.jpg

The Canyon trip is still a great tour even with the plowed section.

:cheers:

There was talk that they may keep the ice road to Moosonee open doo to the increased traffic as opposed to puting everybody on the rail. How has that panned out? Have they opened the ice road to Moosonee the last cpl yrs?

Great pics, this is a trip I am hoping to do one year.

Coldbeer nice meeting you guys that was a nice run this is what happened to my skid about 10km from my house.

This is my skid looked like before.

100_0531Medium.jpg

Broken shock axle shaft. Ordered the parts on Friday hopefully I can get the skid back in before the weekend.

P1020920.jpg

Thanks for the post Jigger; and especially the Pictures !

Can anyone comment on the plowed road section on the Cochrane side - why was it plowed this year and will it be plowed again next year ?

is that an expert x suspension jigger?

No it's a ZX-2 made my the same company but it's the composite suspension I broke one of the few metal parts on the suspension.

Thanks for the post Jigger; and especially the Pictures !

Can anyone comment on the plowed road section on the Cochrane side - why was it plowed this year and will it be plowed again next year ?

I believe it was plowed to remove an old road bridge. There is a new OFSC trail bridge beside it. I don't think it will be plowed next year but that's only a guess.

No it's a ZX-2 made my the same company but it's the composite suspension I broke one of the few metal parts on the suspension.

how do you like the suspension, is it worth the price? is it expensive for the tuning components and are the shocks rebuildable and revalveable?

how do you like the suspension, is it worth the price? is it expensive for the tuning components and are the shocks rebuildable and revalveable?

I bought the skid when they initially introduce them onto the market. I think I paid $1200 cnd, I think they retail in the $2200 area now. I would say they are worth the price that I bought it at but the new price I'm not sure. It could be that I've been spoiled riding with the suspension and forgot what it was like using the stock suspension on the RX1. I guess all the aftermarket skids are in the 1500 to 2500 price range. If and when you order a skid you talk with the sales department and they'll set-up your shocks for weight and riding style. The shocks are completely rebuildable I talked with Ad Bovin and they told be it was approximately 40 bucks to rebuild. I put around 8000 km on this skid with no problems until the broken shock axle. A lot of guys on the ty4stroke site are running these and they all like them. As far as I know I'm they only guy on the site that broke the skid. The slides last for ever on theses skids you get about 3000 km per set if not more.

I bought the skid when they initially introduce them onto the market. I think I paid $1200 cnd, I think they retail in the $2200 area now. I would say they are worth the price that I bought it at but the new price I'm not sure. It could be that I've been spoiled riding with the suspension and forgot what it was like using the stock suspension on the RX1. I guess all the aftermarket skids are in the 1500 to 2500 price range. If and when you order a skid you talk with the sales department and they'll set-up your shocks for weight and riding style. The shocks are completely rebuildable I talked with Ad Bovin and they told be it was approximately 40 bucks to rebuild. I put around 8000 km on this skid with no problems until the broken shock axle. A lot of guys on the ty4stroke site are running these and they all like them. As far as I know I'm they only guy on the site that broke the skid. The slides last for ever on theses skids you get about 3000 km per set if not more.

Not many of those out there bu I have seen that before. Put the stock suspension back in and you will soon rmember why you bought it they do really help your sled huge.

Not many of those out there bu I have seen that before. Put the stock suspension back in and you will soon rmember why you bought it they do really help your sled huge.

I bought the first production zx2's as well. I have just over 10,000km on mine. Never broke a thing. It is a 121" though. I checked all of my idler wheel bearings last fall and couldn't find any bad ones. That really amazed me. Rubber on the wheels isn't even worn yet. They are very easy to adjust for rider weight. When the girl friend comes riding with me, I just crank up the preload. The skid is adjustable from 100Ibs to 300Ibs with stock springs. Ad bovin told me the shocks are good for 10,000 miles before rebuilding. They are fully rebuildable. No need to revale because of the huge adjustablitly in the skid. My shocks aren't even soft yet. They have a variable rate shock. It is very responsive to the small chatter bumps yet firms up and resists bottoming on the huge sucker holes. The faster you ride the sled, the smoother the suspension seems. I'm keeping mine forever, since I can just get rail exentions and put it in a long track. One huge advanatge to this skid, is it holds in alot of snow, sticks to the composite. I have gone several miles down roads with no snow on them and this snow slowly melts away, saving mysled from over heating. The stock skid, I couldn't never do that. Hyfaxes are barely worn after 4 seasons. The stock skid I could barely get a season out of the sliders. I'm very pleased and say they are worth the money for sure. Cheers

Steve

Archived