back from a Fantistic Northern Tour

FishHog

Just noticed that I apparently can't spell Fantastic, but you get the idea.

Well we launched in Searchmont on Thusday morning (a little later than planned) and headed to Wawa. We thought about going on to Hornepayne, but it seemed like a long ride that late in the day, so we just stayed at the Wawa Motor inn and had a few extra beers that night.

Friday was Wawa to Hornepayne for Lunch at Uncles then on through Hurst to Kap. What a great ride. I've never been past Hornepayne, so that was nice to do new trails. Pretty fast ride, but by far the Dub trail (West side of the 100mile loop is still my favourite trail I've ever been on).

Sat we rode to Smooth Rock falls for gas, then did the Abitibi Caynon loop and back to Cochrane for Lunch, with the plan of staying in Timmins. That ride down to Timmins is pretty quick also, so we called ahead to Foleyet to see if there was a place to stay and then made the ride to there for the night. Snow was getting pretty thin by the time we hit Foleyet, but we woke up to 4" of fresh powder.

Riding towards Chapleau, we actually hit 1' of fresh powder 1/2 way in, but then things got pretty thin. By the time we hit Chap, the trails were pretty rough, but just due to a lack of snow. They did what they could with the snow they had, but they need more.

Had a good hearty breakfast in Chap, fueled up and and hit the wilderness trail. When we hit D trail off of Toll Creek road, we figured we had enough fuel to make it to Searchmont rather than swing back to Halfway. It was just under 200km total, so no problem.

Back to the truck at 4pm. We had planned to be later and to stay the night in Sault, but decided to just do the 7hr ride home that night.

I was pretty tired after that 1700km in 4 days, but overall it was a fantastic ride.

FishHog

FishHog

sounds like you had a great trip we are hoping to get up this weekend sunday we where planning on leaving at the soo but with the warm-up we are heading to wawa on sunday and launch from there.

Thanks for the report

how was the canyon we never rode there was thinking on doing it his trip ????

zrtkat

its well worth the trip, even if the fuel there is $2.40/litre

The ride up the Smooth Rock side is shorter at around 90km, the ride down the Cocharne side is 160km but well worth it (with the exception of about 5km that has been plowed by the loggers). I highly recommend it.

FishHog

Fishie, where did you stay in Foleyet?

Maple Street Lodging

Fax: (705) 899-2439

Phone: (705) 899-1050

they are small individual houses with 4 rooms, kitchen and living room with a large TV. Nothing fancy, but decent for $55/person/night. Our only issue was the breaker for the hot water heater was out and we didn't have hot water for a morning shower. I'm sure that was just a fluke, and I would stay there again.

Great trip! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the info. Maple Street had been mentioned last winter on someone else's trip.

Glad to see you had a fantastic ride FishHog.

My crew just got back from our ride in that area, similar loop but in the opposite direction. In fact, we were at the Wawa Motor Inn on Thursday night as well. We checked in about 8:00pm and sat down in the restaurant about 9:00 actually they sat us in the bar section of the restaurant as the restaurant section was about to close. We still got the full menu and had a great meal, great spot to stay! :right_on:

I took this picture of the Wawa Motor Inn as we left in the blizard Friday morning. Good thing it snowed or we would not have gotten too far on the icy trails after that flash freeze.

post-21778-0-03011600-1298310581_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you had a fantastic ride FishHog.

My crew just got back from our ride in that area, similar loop but in the opposite direction. In fact, we were at the Wawa Motor Inn on Thursday night as well. We checked in about 8:00pm and sat down in the restaurant about 9:00 actually they sat us in the bar section of the restaurant as the restaurant section was about to close. We still got the full menu and had a great meal, great spot to stay! :right_on:

I took this picture of the Wawa Motor Inn as we left in the blizard Friday morning. Good thing it snowed or we would not have gotten too far on the icy trails after that flash freeze.

I saw you guys in Dville. you were at the Homehardware store looking at your sled. I asked you if you needed anything

Archived