2011 Trip Plan - Results Pics Added

AkronOrange

Looks like we're doing the following trip starting the 19th. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. We will only ride "open" trails and will not exceed the 50 kmh limit. Thanks in advance:

Day 1 North Bay to Kirkland Lake Comfort Inn

Day 2 Kirkland Lake to Hearst Companion

Day 3 Hearst to Wawa Whitefish Lodge

Day 4 Wawa to Chapleau Valentine Farms

Day 5 Chapleau to Shining Tree 3 Bears

Day 6 Shining Tree to North Bay Somewhere near the ballet

I am sad to report that this will be the first year in 5 that we cannot go to Longlac. "A" from Hornepayne to Hillsport and west are too uncertain, no fault of the locals, they just don't have the necessary support from the OFSC and there is a lack of local club members. I forecast that District 16 will be cast off just like district 17 has been.

We have not been to the Whitefish Lodge or Valentine Farms. Are they snowmobile friendly?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

valentine farms is snowmobile friendly.

Yes it is :right_on: .

Looks like we're doing the following trip starting the 19th. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. We will only ride "open" trails and will not exceed the 50 kmh limit. Thanks in advance:

I am sad to report that this will be the first year in 5 that we cannot go to Longlac. "A" from Hornepayne to Hillsport and west are too uncertain, no fault of the locals, they just don't have the necessary support from the OFSC and there is a lack of local club members. I forecast that District 16 will be cast off just like district 17 has been.

We have not been to the Whitefish Lodge or Valentine Farms. Are they snowmobile friendly?

I didn't know whitefish lodge was open in the winter. Now I know.

We haven't groomed past the intersection of trails 8 and 9 but there are ussually sled tracks running up to the whitefish rd, about a mile.

Wow Kirkland Lake to Hearst is aggressive!

We just got back from three days up in Kirkland Lake and Cochrane. Amazing trails!!

Not much snow at all in New Liskeard. Really not much until you get to Kirkland Lake. Trails start getting really good from Matheson north.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give a call to Whitefish and make sure they're open, from the web site, it appears they should be.

Has anyone ridden the C101F, it appears to be about 170 miles from Chapleau to Timmins. Can anyone let me know about how long that will take and if there is gas in Foleyet?

Thanks in advance

Looks like we're doing the following trip starting the 19th. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. We will only ride "open" trails and will not exceed the 50 kmh limit.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:twisted::tongue::blink::devil:

:poke2: :poke2: :poke2:

Ya ... right...

Thanks for the advice. I'll give a call to Whitefish and make sure they're open, from the web site, it appears they should be.

Has anyone ridden the C101F, it appears to be about 170 miles from Chapleau to Timmins. Can anyone let me know about how long that will take and if there is gas in Foleyet?

Thanks in advance

Done this trip, there is gas was gas in Foleyet at the General store when we did it. I assume that would still be the case. This trail is a mix of tighter twisty stuff and typical northern ontario trails. It also requires decent snow coverage too to cover things up.

I sent you a PM but your Chapleau to Shining Tree is a decent day despite what I said about C101F. You should make up time on the Timmins to Shining Tree stretch if u take L143.

I sent you a PM but your Chapleau to Shining Tree is a decent day despite what I said about C101F. You should make up time on the Timmins to Shining Tree stretch if u take L143.

Got the PM. Thanks. We're going to do the run from Chapleau to Shining Tree, it's better than having to run from Timmins to North Bay on the last day.

The trip has been booked. I appreciate all of the help and the fast reply to the various PM's I sent.

Have a safe season everyone.

Got the PM. Thanks. We're going to do the run from Chapleau to Shining Tree, it's better than having to run from Timmins to North Bay on the last day.

The trip has been booked. I appreciate all of the help and the fast reply to the various PM's I sent.

Have a safe season everyone.

My pleasure Akron, enjoy your trip. Look forward to the report when you get back.

Thanks for all of the help and answers to the various PM's I sent.

I see on the interactive map that a few trails are still listed as closed. There is a chunk of "F" that is still closed, that appears to be a lack of snow problem if what I read on the "F" thread is correct, "C" from Shining Tree south appears to be also closed, I'm surpised at this one, we rode it a couple of weeks ago and it appeared that there was adequate snow for grooming. The last trail we would like to ride is the L143, Grassy Lake trail.

I would appreciate any info anyone might have on these trails.

Thanks again,

So as luck would have it, a rather significant warm up is forecasted just as we're about to begin our trip. It appears, unless information here can convince us otherwise, that we would be better to sacrifice a day of riding and drive to what would have been our first riding destination and begin our ride on Sunday. I am worried that the warm up will cause those areas, like Latchford to New Liskeard, that have had marginal snow to have poor riding conditions on our first day.

I would appreciate any information and opinions. Thanks in advance,

• 2 weeks later...

So our original plan was:

Day 6 Shining Tree to North Bay

Because of the poor snow conditions we needed to adjust our trip. It went as follows:

Day 1 Drive to Kirkland Lake Comfort Inn

Day 2 Kirkland Lake to Hearst (317 miles) Companion

Day 3 Hearst to Wawa (230 miles) Wawa Motor Inn

Day 4 Wawa to Chapleau (180 miles) Valentine Farms

Day 5 Chapleau to Cochrane (223miles) Westway Motel

Day 6 Cochrane to Kirkland Lake (139 miles) Drive Home

Day 1 - First we had to adjust our trip because of the warm-up, now our drive was delayed by 3 hours because the 400 was closed because it was snowing too hard. I didn't make reservations for this night because I wasn't sure how far we would need to drive, took us 12 hours to drive to Kirkland Lake. The HoJo, which is no longer a HoJo, was booked solid so we drove to the Comfort Inn ($140/night ouch)

Day 2 - Go up early for a long day. Rode "A" to "C" around Timmins to Smooth Rock then "A" and L123 to Hearst. Stopped at Moonbeam for a bite to eat. The trails we awesome. 317 miles, we were at the Companion by 6:00.

post-19964-0-54449300-1298686315_thumb.jpg

Day 3 - This was a great day of riding. "A" to Bambino's was in good condition, it had been a while since it was groomed but it was smooth and well signed. The trail to Hornepayne was outstanding, wide, smooth and recently groomed. Rode through D'ville, had lunch at the sports bar then rode over to meet the Groomer Guy, we had a few questions about the new "F" trail with which he helped us. Thanked him for all of his hard work and were on our way to Wawa via the Magpie. Another Great day.

post-19964-0-36391500-1298686349_thumb.jpg

Day 4 - This began the more technical portion of our trip. The new "F" trail is tight and twisty and should not be rushed. The clubs and volunteers should be commended for their diligence and hard work, this was not and east trail to install nor will it be easy to groom. We stopped at Ernie's for gas and the Best Burger in Northern Ontario. We continued on "F" into Chapleau where we stayed to Valentine Farms. This is probably the best place I have stayed with on all of our trips. Ross, the owner, has built a multi-bedroom facility with a kitchen, living room and dining area. There is also a beautiful hot tub room. Ross will arrange to have food brought in for dinner and then come in himself and prepares breakfast in the morning. All of this for a really low price. I encouraged him to increase the price and advertise.

post-19964-0-33275800-1298686377_thumb.jpg

Day 5 - We were uncertain about how long it was going to take for us to get from Chapleau to Timmins on the C101F trail. It took us about 5 hours, we stopped in Foleyet for gas and lunch then we stopped again for gas in Timmins before we left for Cochrane. We arrived in Cochrane at about 4:30, there were more sleds there than I can ever remember. The Thriftlodge was full so we stayed at the Westway. It was nice and clean and fairly priced ($110) and close enough for us to walk to JR's for dinner.

Day 6 - Woke up to about 4" of fresh snow. We started off back to Kirkland Lake at about 9:30, rode the 130 miles and arrived at about 12:30, cancelled the reservations we had at the new Holiday Inn Express in New Liskeard and drove straight through back to western New York.

post-19964-0-07775200-1298686816_thumb.jpg

It was one of the shorter trips we have taken, but one of the better one. The conditions we very good and we experienced a wide variety of trails. Thanks to all of the clubs and volunteer for making this possible. Some notables from the trip:

Best Trail - "A" from Bambino's to Hornepayne - wide, smooth, fast

Worst Trail - C101F near Foleyet. These people need help keeping these trails open.

Best Lodging - Valentine Farms - everything about this place is great.

Worst Lodging - Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake - too much money for average accommodations. Getting to a trunk trail is confusing.

Best Meal - There were a bunch. The Ernie Burger stands out.

Worst Meal - JR's - The chicken I had was dry and flavorless.

Get up there and enjoy the great conditions and the wonderful people.

Great Report! Where are the PICS! :icon_photo:

Heading to Cochrane Sunday - looks like more snow on the way up there - so conditions should be good! :woot: :woot:

Haven`t put many miles on the sled this year - so I am really looking forward to it!

:wavey:

Thanks for the info Akron. We did that run a while back Hearst to Kirkland Lake. That is an awesome run and doable especially at 50kms LOL :rotflmao::rotflmao: . Lots of good info. We were planning on running out of Kirkland lake and doing some loops or a trip. I can't believe that getting out of the motel in Kirkland Lake (comfort inn) is still screwed up. Again thanks for the posts and we're planning on going that way March 2nd. :right_on:

In the two middle pics.... there is blue stuff at the top of the pics.

????

You WERE riding in Ontario eh? :confused:

6 days on the snow is a shorter trip?

We did one trip of 7 days on the snow in 96/97 and haven't ever came close to that since.

So our original plan was:

Day 6 Shining Tree to North Bay

Because of the poor snow conditions we needed to adjust our trip. It went as follows:

Day 1 Drive to Kirkland Lake Comfort Inn

Day 2 Kirkland Lake to Hearst (317 miles) Companion

Day 3 Hearst to Wawa (230 miles) Wawa Motor Inn

Day 4 Wawa to Chapleau (180 miles) Valentine Farms

Day 5 Chapleau to Cochrane (223miles) Westway Motel

Day 6 Cochrane to Kirkland Lake (139 miles) Drive Home

Day 1 - First we had to adjust our trip because of the warm-up, now our drive was delayed by 3 hours because the 400 was closed because it was snowing too hard. I didn't make reservations for this night because I wasn't sure how far we would need to drive, took us 12 hours to drive to Kirkland Lake. The HoJo, which is no longer a HoJo, was booked solid so we drove to the Comfort Inn ($140/night ouch)

Day 2 - Go up early for a long day. Rode "A" to "C" around Timmins to Smooth Rock then "A" and L123 to Hearst. Stopped at Moonbeam for a bite to eat. The trails we awesome. 317 miles, we were at the Companion by 6:00.

post-19964-0-54449300-1298686315_thumb.jpg

Day 3 - This was a great day of riding. "A" to Bambino's was in good condition, it had been a while since it was groomed but it was smooth and well signed. The trail to Hornepayne was outstanding, wide, smooth and recently groomed. Rode through D'ville, had lunch at the sports bar then rode over to meet the Groomer Guy, we had a few questions about the new "F" trail with which he helped us. Thanked him for all of his hard work and were on our way to Wawa via the Magpie. Another Great day.

post-19964-0-36391500-1298686349_thumb.jpg

Day 4 - This began the more technical portion of our trip. The new "F" trail is tight and twisty and should not be rushed. The clubs and volunteers should be commended for their diligence and hard work, this was not and east trail to install nor will it be easy to groom. We stopped at Ernie's for gas and the Best Burger in Northern Ontario. We continued on "F" into Chapleau where we stayed to Valentine Farms. This is probably the best place I have stayed with on all of our trips. Ross, the owner, has built a multi-bedroom facility with a kitchen, living room and dining area. There is also a beautiful hot tub room. Ross will arrange to have food brought in for dinner and then come in himself and prepares breakfast in the morning. All of this for a really low price. I encouraged him to increase the price and advertise.

post-19964-0-33275800-1298686377_thumb.jpg

Day 5 - We were uncertain about how long it was going to take for us to get from Chapleau to Timmins on the C101F trail. It took us about 5 hours, we stopped in Foleyet for gas and lunch then we stopped again for gas in Timmins before we left for Cochrane. We arrived in Cochrane at about 4:30, there were more sleds there than I can ever remember. The Thriftlodge was full so we stayed at the Westway. It was nice and clean and fairly priced ($110) and close enough for us to walk to JR's for dinner.

Day 6 - Woke up to about 4" of fresh snow. We started off back to Kirkland Lake at about 9:30, rode the 130 miles and arrived at about 12:30, cancelled the reservations we had at the new Holiday Inn Express in New Liskeard and drove straight through back to western New York.

post-19964-0-07775200-1298686816_thumb.jpg

It was one of the shorter trips we have taken, but one of the better one. The conditions we very good and we experienced a wide variety of trails. Thanks to all of the clubs and volunteer for making this possible. Some notables from the trip:

Best Trail - "A" from Bambino's to Hornepayne - wide, smooth, fast

Worst Trail - C101F near Foleyet. These people need help keeping these trails open.

Best Lodging - Valentine Farms - everything about this place is great.

Worst Lodging - Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake - too much money for average accommodations. Getting to a trunk trail is confusing.

Best Meal - There were a bunch. The Ernie Burger stands out.

Worst Meal - JR's - The chicken I had was dry and flavorless.

Get up there and enjoy the great conditions and the wonderful people.

Thanks for the great report, Yeah that F trail is a Bitch to groom and hard on the groomer.. we broke down on it 2 days ago.... agrrr the groomer is fixed and back in town. it dont help that the snow is thin in some spots of the F trail and hopping next season we will get a ton of it so it can be smooth. One hiil is so bad that it need to be blasted....... summer project for next summer.... its going to make for a cool video lol

Check out my youtube page for videos of groomiong the f trail http://www.youtube.com/user/GroomerGuy?feature=mhum

Grooming the F trail for the first time 2011

you will see 2 videos of when we made that first pass this year just before you rode it.

Thanks for the great report, Yeah that F trail is a Bitch to groom and hard on the groomer.. we broke down on it 2 days ago.... agrrr the groomer is fixed and back in town. it dont help that the snow is thin in some spots of the F trail and hopping next season we will get a ton of it so it can be smooth. One hiil is so bad that it need to be blasted....... summer project for next summer.... its going to make for a cool video lol

Check out my youtube page for videos of groomiong the f trail http://www.youtube.com/user/GroomerGuy?feature=mhum

Grooming the F trail for the first time 2011

you will see 2 videos of when we made that first pass this year just before you rode it.

Luke,

Can't thank you and all of the volunteers around Ontario enough, without all of you we couldn't enjoy this great sport.

That curve on "F" near Missanabie is a real tough one. There was a tour group behine us, 22 inexperienced riders, one rolled the sled down the bank. The rider was okay, not sure about the sled, they had it back on the trail before we could finish our burgers and beer and get back to help. Maybe some additional signs coming from the west would help.

Thanks again. See you next February.

Luke,

Can't thank you and all of the volunteers around Ontario enough, without all of you we couldn't enjoy this great sport.

That curve on "F" near Missanabie is a real tough one. There was a tour group behine us, 22 inexperienced riders, one rolled the sled down the bank. The rider was okay, not sure about the sled, they had it back on the trail before we could finish our burgers and beer and get back to help. Maybe some additional signs coming from the west would help.

Thanks again. See you next February.

We sent a Crew out to put up some signs but they ran out..... we are waitting for signs...... I'm not sure what curve you are talking about...... I"m trying to think with one it is....... hmmmmmmm we cut alot out with the new upgrades this fall...

We sent a Crew out to put up some signs but they ran out..... we are waitting for signs...... I'm not sure what curve you are talking about...... I"m trying to think with one it is....... hmmmmmmm we cut alot out with the new upgrades this fall...

From Dub to Missanabie, just before you cross the lake, there was a left turn with a steep bank on the right that surprised all of the riders in our group.

Thanks

Archived