The Weekend Report

sledjunk

Well this weekend, Moosifer and I decided that we would participate in the Trail Patrol Ckeckpoint weekend and ride locally. We also had some signage issues to address so that helped as well.

We headed out Saturday morning and did the signage and then setup a checkpoint near the point where sledders come ashore and onto the trail. There were a number of sleds without permits that we turned back to find another route off the river. There were also some priceless excuses!

One fellow said that the sticker must have blown off! So I instructed him as to how to get a replacement and turned him around. Another said that he had his permit stolen, but there was no trace of glue left behind, and they didn't steal a panel or windshield! Just amazing how someone was nice enough to steal the sticker AND clean the spot off. He said he had the green copy, but forgot it at home. Back into (ok, onto) the river with him as well!

We broke for lunch about 1:00 and after lunch went for a short run on the trails. The trails were in excellent condition, considering there was almost no base. Shortly after we left Pefferlaw, we met RotaxMike on the groomer, so we stopped to chat for a bit.

A number of our trails have been rerouted over the past couple of years but I haven't been able to get out locally for the last two years with so little snow. So, I now have some tracks of the reroutes for Reved.

On our little jaunt on Saturday, Moosifer came across a fellow on a sled playing in the powder off the side of the trail. He flagged him down and asked if he owned this piece of land or if he knew who the owners were. He acknowledged that he didn't, so Moosifer read him the riot act about how every year we lose sections of trails because of acts like that. Hopefully it will help, but we'll be watching for him.

On Sunday, we met with OntarioF7, and rode over toward Sutton for lunch. Again, the trails were in great shape.

Modern Sledders in action! Stop for two minutes and they have to check their BB.

DSCN0317.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

Can you tell which sled is mine?

DSCN0321.jpg

DSCN0322.jpg

After Sutton, we rode the lake around to the Pefferlaw River and stopped again at the river's edge to do another checkpoint. Turned a few more people back! One fellow said that he didn't know it was a trail, but that he thought it was private property. (If it is private property, and not a trail, then why would it be OK to ride there?!

After the checkpoint, OF7 headed home and Moosifer and I decided to head over to the clubhouse. We were barely out of Pefferlaw and were stopped in the forest when we were accosted by some guy on a an 800 'Doo. After a brief verbal exchange, RotaxMike headed off in his direction and we went ours. Good to see him out riding the trails that he spent so much time grooming!

After the clubhouse, we figured that we would head toward Uxbridge for dinner but would head toward Port Perry for a bit and then cut across PP101 back to the rail line. As Moosifer said earlier, the snow was very thin there. To the point that we couldn't tell if it was just dirt or if it had a little snow mixed in!

Once we got to the rail line, things were better and we zipped down to Uxbridge. By this point, it was starting to get colder. After a nice dinner at Swiss Chalet, where we were able to warm and dry our clothes a bit, we headed home.

All in all, we put on close to 300KM for the weekend which is not bad considering the time we spent doing checkpoints.

Here are the tracks of our riding on the weekend.

Saturday

Sled-110129-Local.gif

Sunday

Sled-110130-Local.gif

Sure hope this snow materializes. We need it!

Trails should be nice for this weekend with the snow we got today :drool-1:

Sledjunk,

Wonderful report, as usual.

Great report and Pics SJ! The trails should be in great condition with all this new snow for the weekend! :wavey: :wavey:

Archived