Algoma Trip Booked Feb 6-11 th

Big Pussy

I am with a group of four who planned a complete Algoma Loop tour to start in Elliot Lake on Feb 7th, with a ride to the Sault, Goulais River Then the 8th, Searchmont, Half Way Haven, Wawa. Then the 9th, Hawk, Missinabe, Chapleu. Then the 10th, Flame Lake, Aubrey Falls, Elliot Lake.

I don't see much happening on the east side of the route and there seems to be some missing sections down south and near the Sault. If anyone can give me an update as the what is really happening and the chances of this ride being successful, I would greatly appreciate it. We have to cancel soon and make other plans as vacation is booked and can't be changed.

Thanks,

BP

well things are really only getting started so, the report at this time shows most of your loop ungroomed, unbrushed, unsigned, and closed.

i know the entire length of the F trail from dubruilville to missanabi, on to chapleau and south to aubrey falls has not been opened yet due to lack of snow. this is first hand info from contacts in all those afformentioned cities.

you have about two weeks before your trip for those trails to open so, i would keep checking here, and contact the algoma aspa contacts and get up to date info from there.

dont be suprized if the trails north and south of chapleau do not get groomed by the time your trip starts.

they need lots of snow to open those hilly rock covered sections of the trail from flame lake to aubrey falls.

for that reason we do not schedule trips in advance for this area but do them on the fly as conditions permit.

ski

I am with a group of four who planned a complete Algoma Loop tour to start in Elliot Lake on Feb 7th, with a ride to the Sault, Goulais River Then the 8th, Searchmont, Half Way Haven, Wawa. Then the 9th, Hawk, Missinabe, Chapleu. Then the 10th, Flame Lake, Aubrey Falls, Elliot Lake.

I don't see much happening on the east side of the route and there seems to be some missing sections down south and near the Sault. If anyone can give me an update as the what is really happening and the chances of this ride being successful, I would greatly appreciate it. We have to cancel soon and make other plans as vacation is booked and can't be changed.

Thanks,

BP

Hi BP,

Just came back from a run up around the top and can tell you that you could change your trip to start from Goulais River and run up to Wawa or Dub, then to Hearst. Then reverse and hit all the loops you want. To spend more time up on some great loops of Hornepayne or Hearst or even farther east like over to Moonbeam you could start up at Wawa and ride "Perfect" trails all the way.

Passed about 20 sleds in 860 miles and none from Wawa to Hearst or back. All the sleds we saw were from Hearst to Timmins. The trails have never been better up north! Those trails are easy and fast for the most part.

I too am wishing for more snow to open the "F" Trail and D106.

Do not trust the interactive map! It seems to be wrong as much as it is correct. All the Hornepayne trails are beautiful and the map keeps going "RED".

Hope it works out.

Archived