District 16

revrnd

The funding should come from the local economic development NOT the OFSC this would open up a torrent of funding requests that would quicly paralyze what little ability the OFSC has.

Why not have the OFSC sponsor/maintain the main trails [basically the thoroughfares] and maybe the local clubs handle/develop some local trails/loops off the main trail? If the local club ends up having to groom the main trail, they should be reimbursed from the OFSC for their efforts.

Also, how is the OFSC officially funded for it's operations?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not have the OFSC sponsor/maintain the main trails [basically the thoroughfares] and maybe the local clubs handle/develop some local trails/loops off the main trail? If the local club ends up having to groom the main trail, they should be reimbursed from the OFSC for their efforts.

Good points, snobaron.

There's a Quantified Trail Matrix, which spreads permit revenues around the province 'equitably'. I believe District permit sales are one part of the equation, but can't provide the other elements.

This topic has been reviewed in the past, and maybe a search of oc.com can provide further details.

Not sure how the Matrix works when northern industries slow down, and permit sales decline in those areas.

And permit sales aren't down in Barrie?

There was a similar thread started about this here:

The A107A will also not be open this season. We will as always be riding into Longlac to stay at Klotz Lake Camp. we're either going to find a place in town to keep the sleds and get a ride to Klotz or pay a couple of locals to break trail for us.

Seems that the "touring" riding is becoming a thing of the past. I see the trails closing and think how fortunate I am that I was able to ride some of these great areas.

Stay safe, have a great season

Why are they closing trails ? And do you have to leave sleds in town and hitch a ride to Klotz ?

Why are they closing trails ? And do you have to leave sleds in town and hitch a ride to Klotz ?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, too many km of trail, not enough permit sales. The Nipigon club, for instance had about 300 km of TOP Trail to maintain, and less than 20 permit holders last year. The two major employers in town shut down, and most of the people left looking for work. The major employer in town is now the Husky Truck Stop. Minimum wage doesn't afford for gas for a sled, never mind a permit. I am fortunate to have a good job, but I'm in the minority. As has been stated here before, I think the days of destination sledding, at least in this area, are done. Too bad, as we had some awesome trails.

BP

Like Bucking Pig said; Permit sales are down. It could also be said that there is a disproportionate distribution of trail fund dollars. There are many opinions within this thread, one thing is for sure; trails are closing.

We will not be visiting Klotz Lake year, it has just become too difficult even for our group and the great folks at Klotz Lake.

• 3 months later...

Flipping through the online version of American Snowmobiler this afternoon (flippin rain!!), and noticed an archived story about Ontario snowmobiling.

Here's a picture of their route. Sadly, a lot of the northwest trails are now closed.

(Interesting observation by the author in Dec. 2007, as they navigated an ungroomed trail west towards Longlac - "But the Hurst(sp.) groomers don't like to smooth the trail toward Longlac, say the snow club members. Seems if you groom only toward Hearst, a lot more folks take the trail, and their vacation dollars toward Hearst. Subtle marketing!

post-19774-0-35487800-1305413172_thumb.jpeg

Haven't been for a while. The message is the same, "we" need to maintain the integrity of the system. How else do we get from here to there? It is the "Ontario FEDERATION of Snowmobile Clubs" isn't it? Pull together as a whole! I can, with less expense stay here in the States, golfing in the south or whatever.

There are truly wonderful people throughout the north; Toni and Mike at Klotz, Kelly at 3 Bears, Ross in Chapleau and nameless others that want for us to visit, not just for the financial gain, but because they care, all over northern Ontario. These people, places, need us. Not only our $$$, but us. They need to know that we care about them. What happens when there is no income in Longlac, Shining Tree and Chapleau? What happens when we all stop coming to northern Ontario in January, February, and March? The answer: you don't know how much you miss something until it's gone. Once it's gone, it's gone.

I'm nearly 50 years old, I have had the pleasure to know these people. I love these people, they're all special - they all care - they all need our help. I hope the next generations have the pleasure of know people like this. I am a better person because of these people. People that know what it means to work and to care.

I want for AO II, Snowberg II, Canuck II and STG, nevermind there will never be another STG. I want for this experience to continue for future generations. I am growing tired of the war, we have won some of the battles, but the war wages on.

Lets keep going, lets keep fighting, I'm not done yet, I want to help, I want to ride.

Good points, snobaron.

There's a Quantified Trail Matrix, which spreads permit revenues around the province 'equitably'. I believe District permit sales are one part of the equation, but can't provide the other elements.

This topic has been reviewed in the past, and maybe a search of oc.com can provide further details.

Not sure how the Matrix works when northern industries slow down, and permit sales decline in those areas.

The matrix is based on a number of things including:

kilometers of trail

permits sold

grooming hours (weeks)

There is a complicated formula and it calculates a shortfall an area will have to operate based on total provincial sales and each club(district) with a shortfall gets a portion. Since some clubs sell many permits and have less trail there is no shortfall and while others have few permits but lots of trail they get the lion's share. There is also a method to determine what the costs should be provincially and this also in the matrix. It actually works quite well.

And while we get no gas tax back each year the province grants us dollars to keep the trail open - this along with the permit dollars fund our programs and costs along with part of the shortfall funding.

• 3 weeks later...

as mentionned there is only one trail,can't really rationalize that

My thing is why should locals be concerned for that one trail

If I live in that area I would want local trails vs a main trail in and out of town, this IMO is a huge reason why locals don't buy permits

This is a 3 fold problem

A-locals want their $$$ going towards local trails vs one,why should I pay for a trail that goes one way or another

B-touring riders want to be about to ride through that town/those towns to get to the next as the TOP trails interconnect

C-riders in the south that never see those trails do not want there $$$ funding a trail that serves few

You are totaly right.. thats the problem that we have around here... why would locals pay for just a trail in and out? You guys know how far are the towns are from each other so for a local rider that too far to do. One BIG problem that we have in the North is the clubs can't aford to go to the AGM to go and voice the problems and work on fixing the problems.... our club would like to go to every AGm BUT we can't. We are lucky this year we where able to scrape some money here and there to be able to pay to go. I pay my own meals to get there and sometime in the past even the gas.

I like this Idea...... very interesting. One thing is for sure... with the new GPS tracking its going to help cut down on costs and we will able to see... have more detail of our grooming in the province.

One BIG problem that we have in the North is the clubs can't aford to go to the AGM to go and voice the problems and work on fixing the problems.... our club would like to go to every AGm BUT we can't.

I still find it hard to believe that it's 'pay your own way'. At the very least, support should be provided for 2 members from each club to attend.

Many conferences also have satellite access. Equipment (camera and microphone) is placed in the satellite site (ie Wawa, Hearst, Cochrane, North Bay and other northwest/northeast as well as southern edges of Ont.) and a camera broadcasts events at AGM to satellite areas. Input from satellite areas is via the cameras in those areas. This may already be happening - who knows.

Nothing beats actually being there and exchanging ideas in person,.

One good thing for you guys is that Porter flies direct from Sault Ste Marie to Toronto Island for $56 plus tax during their frequent 30 percent off promotions. $232.58 per person all in, return. 3 flights per day.

I still find it hard to believe that it's 'pay your own way'. At the very least, support should be provided for 2 members from each club to attend.

Many conferences also have satellite access. Equipment (camera and microphone) is placed in the satellite site (ie Wawa, Hearst, Cochrane, North Bay and other northwest/northeast as well as southern edges of Ont.) and a camera broadcasts events at AGM to satellite areas. Input from satellite areas is via the cameras in those areas. This may already be happening - who knows.

Nothing beats actually being there and exchanging ideas in person,.

One good thing for you guys is that Porter flies direct from Sault Ste Marie to Toronto Island for $56 plus tax during their frequent 30 percent off promotions. $232.58 per person all in, return. 3 flights per day.

Perhaps we're the exception, I live near Toronto and drive right through cottage country to get to the north, and I have little reason to care what is thought of me. I am 2 hours from Toronto. I would be happy to attend a meeting to express the concerns of the "north", currently I only pay my $200 to ride, if I can contribute ( at my own expense) let me know.

Archived