Prince Edward County is open

dweese

Saw some limited opens on the OFSC site today for The County, wasn't like that yesterday, but I know they did get a good hit of snow over the last 48hours, and more coming tonight.

I think I may have to go for a ride tomorrow and just see how good those trails are :rolleyes: if I can find a place to park and unload :banghead:

:right_on: keep us posted,never rode there before but always a first time,,,,, :right_on:

Hey Dave.. That's that great to hear.. Is the ice fishing started yet? I love that area.. We go on a fishing trip every year (at the end of May) to Pickerel Park on Hay Bay.. That's my favorite fishing spot in the province!!!!! I'd love to do an icefishing and snowmobile weekend there sometime..

Tightlines and brap brap brap..

I don't know about Hay Bay but there are huts out on Bay of Quinte at Belleville, they say there is 8-10 inchs of ice.

The ride was good Friday, set my new GoPro camera up on the sled and away I went, only to figure out I forgot the SD Card in my PC at home :banghead: than rode all afternoon kicking myself in the a$$ for that bonehead move. Than remembering my GPS has an SD Card in it as I was loading back on to the trailer :banghead::banghead::rotflmao:

Trails wheren't bad, little light in some spots but over all it was a good 100km.

The county is nice to ride because there are no main TOP trails that connect to the 200km of club trails. The OFSC map shows a trail from E108 in Campbellford that connects but, I've never been able to find it south of Brighton. So there is not a lot of traffic as you either have to live on the trails or trailer in. The nice part is, you can be running a railbed, than in to a farmers fields followed by thick woods, to hydro lines and hills, all with in a few minutes of each other so you don't get board by the same thing km after km of riding. Oh ya and the lake effect snows they get too can make you feel like your in the north.

Ah yes such beautiful scenery!!! I drool when I drive there in May thinking how awesome the trails must be in the area.. I also see the snwomobile trail signs and then daydream for awhile..

I am looking forward to seeing your video when you get it working.. Uploading to YouTube can posting it in the forum would be the easiest way imo.. Enjoy your toys while you can.. Rick

I don't know about Hay Bay but there are huts out on Bay of Quinte at Belleville, they say there is 8-10 inchs of ice.

The ride was good Friday, set my new GoPro camera up on the sled and away I went, only to figure out I forgot the SD Card in my PC at home :banghead: than rode all afternoon kicking myself in the a$$ for that bonehead move. Than remembering my GPS has an SD Card in it as I was loading back on to the trailer :banghead::banghead::rotflmao:

Trails wheren't bad, little light in some spots but over all it was a good 100km.

The county is nice to ride because there are no main TOP trails that connect to the 200km of club trails. The OFSC map shows a trail from E108 in Campbellford that connects but, I've never been able to find it south of Brighton. So there is not a lot of traffic as you either have to live on the trails or trailer in. The nice part is, you can be running a railbed, than in to a farmers fields followed by thick woods, to hydro lines and hills, all with in a few minutes of each other so you don't get board by the same thing km after km of riding. Oh ya and the lake effect snows they get too can make you feel like your in the north.

Dweese, can you give an update of the area, is it worth a 1hr drive? considering it for a friday ride. is there enough trails open to make a nice day ride? Also, any suggestions on where to drop, will be coming in on the 401 from the west into Brighton.

Dweese, can you give an update of the area, is it worth a 1hr drive? considering it for a friday ride. is there enough trails open to make a nice day ride? Also, any suggestions on where to drop, will be coming in on the 401 from the west into Brighton.

Is it worth the drive, thats a good question, we got 10-15cm of new stuff today so hopefully they get out and groom it tonight.

I was thinking about riding Friday as well so we may run in to each other.

Best place to park is the baseball feild in Carrying Place "Google Map" Its on the south side of CR63 at Hwy33. The OFSC map shows a trail from there, but I didn't ride the area last year because it never opened. So I'm not sure where the trail starts or if its even signed. There was parking right at the trail head, but Quinte West sold the old rail bed off and they are building houses on top of it now, so I guess this is a rework of the trails.

If you can't find the trail, its about a 1km or less along CR64 to Parkview rd where you pickup the old rail bed or Millennium Trail, and your good from there.

But unless they open up some more, I wouldn't make the trip. Its all rail beds open at this time.

So I rode today trails where good a few spots need some more snow but over all its all good. I think hoewever they forgot to open a gate because there was sled tracks on bothsides that have had to turn around so I could get in to the south end. I did get 50km of new tracks for Reved's GPS stuff the OFSC GPS map doesn't even have :)

Got some GoPro video I'll post up once I figure out the editing software

So I rode today trails where good a few spots need some more snow but over all its all good. I think hoewever they forgot to open a gate because there was sled tracks on bothsides that have had to turn around so I could get in to the south end. I did get 50km of new tracks for Reved's GPS stuff the OFSC GPS map doesn't even have :)

Got some GoPro video I'll post up once I figure out the editing software

I always wanted to ride down there but never did.

We had a trailer at Log Cabin Point on East lake for about 7yrs and every year I said I have to come down and ride, but it never happened. :banghead:

So well I was out Firday I shot some more video with my GoPro, and I think I've got the settings work out for the best qualty at the smallest file size. And I'm getting a better handle on the video editing software, this took about 3hours to put together today, most of it was going over the 4hours of video I had shot, to the point of filling my 8gig SDcard.

Skidooer will be happy because for once I have to agree with him that Apple makes the best coding for videos :banghead: I own a PC but the software codes out to a MP4 apple format thats actaully ment for iPods and iPhones. But it gives you a 3m40s video in 720HD under 90meg, everything else puts it at almost 500megs :whatever:

Looks Great! Thanks for posting it!

Looking to try this area this Friday. Not sure how the conditions have held up with the recent thaw. Anybody got up to date info?

Great work on the video dweese! Have you by chance been on the trail from the river rats clubhouse to 401? It has been a few years since I ran it last and I heard the rest stop is open again, thought it may be worth a try one day soon.

Looking to try this area this Friday. Not sure how the conditions have held up with the recent thaw. Anybody got up to date info?

Trails are listed as limited but should be good in my mind lots of snow and little traffic, calling for 5-10 by Friday down here so the riding should be good.

Great work on the video dweese! Have you by chance been on the trail from the river rats clubhouse to 401? It has been a few years since I ran it last and I heard the rest stop is open again, thought it may be worth a try one day soon.

No, wanted to last Sunday but it was too damn cold. The rest stop is open again so I would guess the trail will be too. Great place to drop from as its on the 401 how easy it that.

Maybe this weekend I'll run it if I get time and let you know.

Thanks. I think we are going to give it a go, looked great on the video. Do you know if there is much road running?

Thanks. I think we are going to give it a go, looked great on the video. Do you know if there is much road running?

There is no road running in the county, one or two places you may have to ditch bang for a few hundred meters but the club is really good at keeping you off the roads and on a trail. Even getting gas they have managed to get a trail next to fuel.

Thanks I would appreciate any input. Thinking of riding from home and going that way on Tuesday. Ian

Best of luck there Ian, I don't know how you get around Brighton. I lived in Brighton for 10 years but was on the bay so I just came across the bay. I never once was able to find the trail the guide shows getting you from the 401 down the east side of Brighton. What the trail giude shows as a trail is a 15km run though peoples back yards, well used paved roads, and some open water :headbang:

I have to work Friday or I would have finished my plans to run this area and find this mystery trail for the GPS track. Calling for -14 all weekend so I'm not sure if I'm going to get out. I'm getting soft when it comes to cold LOL.

Best of luck there Ian, I don't know how you get around Brighton. I lived in Brighton for 10 years but was on the bay so I just came across the bay. I never once was able to find the trail the guide shows getting you from the 401 down the east side of Brighton. What the trail giude shows as a trail is a 15km run though peoples back yards, well used paved roads, and some open water :headbang:

I have to work Friday or I would have finished my plans to run this area and find this mystery trail for the GPS track. Calling for -14 all weekend so I'm not sure if I'm going to get out. I'm getting soft when it comes to cold LOL.

Last time I went down that way we went down the side of Wooler Road to Carrying Place. Conditions were favourable that day. Made our way to the old rail bed from there. I know the phantom trail you are refering to but, I saw the tracks heading west but unsure from the rest stop down to Brighton area. I wonder if the trail is an old one. I think it was you that had mentioned that the trails on the island were a lot different than those on the OFSC site. Maybe you can fill me in...is there a tunnel under the 401? Where the trail crosses it there is no road junction. I'll let you all know what I find...if anything! lol

btw....the odd water skip doesn't bother me a bit :mrgreen:

What is the name of the club that looks after the trails in that area? The OFSC has some outdated stuff on Prince Edward County trail Riders. We will need to find this 401 crossing tomorrow or ride on different trails.

- I wouldn't be suprised if the 401 crossing was the bridge that is WEST of the Wooler Rd. Truck Stop.

- It goes up to the Brighton Wildlife preserve and I think that's where the trail is, isn't it?

- I've atv'd up there, and to get to the bridge you need to get off at Brighton.

- A loooong time ago I remember seeing sleds cross another little brisge on the NORTH side of the 401 WEST of the Brighton cut off.

- There could be something there too???

I hope so. The district map doesn't show a trail, but the OFSC interactive map does. Not sure why they are different.

I hope so. The district map doesn't show a trail, but the OFSC interactive map does. Not sure why they are different.

I would guess if the interactive map shows the trail as Open then the trail exists but if the guide shows closed and others around it as open then it my be an old trail the doesn't exist anymore.

- I wouldn't be suprised if the 401 crossing was the bridge that is WEST of the Wooler Rd. Truck Stop.

- It goes up to the Brighton Wildlife preserve and I think that's where the trail is, isn't it?

Yup that is the bridge to cross the 401.

- A loooong time ago I remember seeing sleds cross another little brisge on the NORTH side of the 401 WEST of the Brighton cut off.

- There could be something there too???

That would be Lake Road, and no it was most likely people just running the ditches. Thats too far west, the trail does run out of the Brighton Wildlife preserve.

I think thats all Percy Boom River Rats trails down to the Murry Canal than it becomes Prince Edward County snow riders. I've email the river rats before, and the guy that was in charge of the trails at the time didn't have email the person who answers the club info email on thier website didn't know where the trail goes.

I remember something in the Brighton Paper few years back when they cut the trail in to Brighton, how the town had alowed them to go in and clear old unsed township road allowances and turn them in to OFSC trails. But driving around the area that year and years after I never could find any of these trails.

I'm going out tomarrow and I'm going to try and hit this area and see what I can find, than I'll fire out my GPS tracks.

I contacted both clubs a couple years ago. Turns out the town of Brighton doesn't want sleds riding down there way (south of the 401). The trail now ends at the 401 bridge. If you ride directly south after crossing the bridge the road sweeps to the right, in the sweep you'll see a farmers field and entrance on your left, this is where the trail used to run. Don't waste your time trying to find the trail, the township shut it down a few years ago and the OFSC hasn't updated their maps. There is other trails in my area (district 3) that are shown as "Green" right now that haven't been open, signed or groomed in years.

Although the ride from Warkworth south to the 401 is a nice ride, you'll just be turning around once you get to the 401.

tried to get down there today. Followed a trail that ended and said trail closed. OFSC map must be outdated, but where did the info come from to show it green? Had a great ride! Bewdley to Wooler, to Campbellford. Lots of great trails.

Archived