Old Hastings / Paudash Snow Conditions?

WEFusion900

Most of the afternoon Heritage (B106E) was great from fresh grooming but warm temps and traffic took its toll.

Top E from Ormsby junction to Coe Hill was ruined, heard E west to Apsley was real rough too. Was groomed but still soft can\'t stand up to the traffic.

Limerick and Mephisto lakes very good some slush.

Mayo Lake in the maze had some bad slush if you got off the cut. Wouldn't recommend playing on some of these lakes unless you know.

Weslmekoon was in good shape as well, some frozen over slush but good running the stakelines.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys commming up to ride from Chandos this weekend. Would appreciate an update closer to the weekend. I am brining up some new riders and am hopeing to show them some good trails like the area is known for.

I think you'll be OK to run TOP E up to the clubhouse. W/o the forecast snow, I don't want you to get their hopes up.

I ran up from buckhorn on saturday e211 wasn't bad but it got worse the further north i went, e-108 was very rough, main e to harcourt was manly a right off, and E back into haliburton was downright terrible, whoever decided that e from hali to paudash 601 was worthy of green status needs a new job,

Rail line from kinmount to fenelon was decent, best part of the trip, think I'll stay on the lakes for a couple weeks

Things were better Sunday as groomers were through most of the system. E rail trail east from Coe Hill still gruesome as groomer driver stops at Ormsby.

E trail around Paudash clubhouse groomed but they can only do so much with the thin base. Keep knocking chunks off the carbides but willing to pay the price.

E110 north up to Bancroft was surprisingly good as its usually trashed by Sunday. Noisy from the hits but snow gets deeper further north you go.

We get the snow this week should be good.

Stay to the stakelines as slush is widespread.

Don't know if Chandos is staked can't tell from the new (don't get me started) OFSC reporting system, would appreciate any reports about this.

The E north of the Club house south of the E108 all the way to 118 is scrapped for logging. The 612 logging. The 178 Trail Logging.

The restaurant in Madawaska is closed and the LCBO has move from the Gas station across the street to the building the restaurant was in.

The E north of the Club house south of the E108 all the way to 118 is scrapped for logging.

I guess I won't be heading to the clubhouse then for the rest of the winter. Road running to the Eel's Lake Marina to avoid the reroute to E108 & the state TOP E will be in for the rest of the winter.

All in all things are shaping up to be a write off in that part of the world :banghead: .

So maybe i will reroute the group south of chandos and go to fenlon falls or something along them lines. I do not want bad terrain, two of my guests are newbies and i do not want to scare them off the trails. We were planning on attending the club bbq, oh well maybe next year thanks for the updates. I know down here in hamilton we are getting hammered today and tomorrow maybe it will reach upthere. Heres hopeing i will make the call closer to the weekend

If coming from Chandos with this new snow I'd head north to top E then east towards Coe Hill.

Grooming will be done right out to Heritage (B106E) rail trail. (on good authority)

From there perhaps south on 106E to Limerick Lake trail, across the 2 staked lakes then run north back to the B106E.

Could take the E110 south back to Chandos if it isn't run too hard (often is). If E110 is trashed run the rail trails back (B106E - Top E)

A good long loop but with lakes and rail trail not too hurtful on newbies like 6 hours of bush trail.

awsome suggestion is there a shorted option six hours may be to much for them but i guess we could make more frequent stops to let them reenergize the only issue with newbies they do not have the endurance built up. But if you are getting hit up there like we are here then things should really shape up good. Thankd Coe rider

Just talked to my plow guys wife, 8" of new snow and blizzard like conditions Yow....

Three of us headed up to Steenburg Lake tonight, three more joining us tomorrow.

Just wondering if a lot of people will be riding in for the Madawaska Cup Snowmobile races and what that will do for the trails north of Bancroft. Will there be extra grooming runs????

Make sure they stay on the stake line on Limerick, slush reported off the beaten track.

Nothing worse than that cold water running into your boots trying to unstuck buried sled with a track full of slush.....

Went for a hundred mile loop up to L'Amable, so her goes.

On the Paudash side:

TOP E has been groomed to the Crowe R. bridge. Both the Chandos & Tallan's lake trails have been groomed.

On the Old Hastings side:

The L'Amable groomer has groomed 930 from L'Amable to the TOP E jct & TOP E west to the bridge. TOP E on the railbed south of #928 to Ormsby Jct. was in good shape. I passed the westbound groomer near Ormsby. The railbed to Coe Hill west of the groomer needed grooming as did the new part of TOP E north to #930.

The Boundary Road has been plowed for log hauling (shown in black on attached map. I've also shown 2 reroutes of TOP E (old trail in grey). One of the changes is that TOP E isn't rerouted north of Mindle Rd (east of the Crowe R bridge like it was last winter. The changes north of Coe Hill that were previously mentioned are shown as well (the District 2 map is incorrect).

I've also tracked a connection (road running) from TOP E to E107. The road was OK today, some sand, but not horrible though.

TOP E Old Hastings.doc

TOP E to E107 CONNECTION.doc

Trail report for Thursday 2/3 - Sat 2/5

B106E from Elderodeo to Bancroft good to excellent. This trail saw a lot of traffic but gets consistent grooming. Trail spots in the sun did soften up but in the woods & shade stayed firm and flat.

Trail across Limerick and Devil's lake to the forest access roads - nice. Stay on the packed trail as there are numerous slush spots.

Forest Access Roads & the Maze - Excellent. Best trails we saw all weekend!!

B106E to the Airstrip - this trail had been groomed but was thin, corners washed out, a lot of rocks tickling the carbides or pulled up by the drag. Needs more snow.

E110 from Bancroft to Cardiff - fair to good, could use some more snow

Trail report for Thursday 2/3 - Sat 2/5

B106E from Elderodeo to Bancroft good to excellent. This trail saw a lot of traffic but gets consistent grooming. Trail spots in the sun did soften up but in the woods & shade stayed firm and flat.

Trail across Limerick and Devil's lake to the forest access roads - nice. Stay on the packed trail as there are numerous slush spots.

Forest Access Roads & the Maze - Excellent. Best trails we saw all weekend!!

B106E to the Airstrip - this trail had been groomed but was thin, corners washed out, a lot of rocks tickling the carbides or pulled up by the drag. Needs more snow.

E110 from Bancroft to Cardiff - fair to good, could use some more snow

Planning on coming up next weekend and I'm hoping the forecast for warm weather doesn't happen. Any updates would be appreciated.

Planning on coming up next weekend and I'm hoping the forecast for warm weather doesn't happen. Any updates would be appreciated.

I haven't been out since last Sunday (fuel pump(?) issue w/ the sled). Chandos & Copper lakes are slushy. It's been trying snow today.

It rained overnight in Apsley. Supposed to get snow on Sat' & Mon'. I imagine the trails will be quite icy when the temps drop tonight. Probably not the best for the sliders & cooling those LC sleds.

Its over for any bush trail in Old Hastings, rail trails held up somewhat, very icy.

Spent a good portion of Sat/Sun clearing downed trees.

You have to hate your sled to attempt E trail west of Coe Hill.

Any road sections anywhere are gravel. Not snow + gravel just gravel.

Left another carbide somewhere on the adventures.

We got a grand total of 1/2 an inch of snow Sunday night. We went out for what is probably the shortest ride on record. Left the house & headed south on E107. Turned around by the pond beside Tuckers Marine. My sled's temp gauge normally runs @ about 8 o'clock. Today it was around 10 o'clock (just below the red zone).

We'd better get @ least 6" before riding will be possible (IMO) around Apsley. Looking @ the radar last night during the snowfall we were @ the upper range of the "storm". No idea how far north was affected by last Thursday's rain. Folks may have to head a ways north for any riding.

460 miles for the season.

so the GREEN rating is not acurate? I was reading the info on The Paudash site and it indicates that things are not bad too. I am planning on trying it tomorrow from Apsley, but now I don't know.

so the GREEN rating is not acurate? I was reading the info on The Paudash site and it indicates that things are not bad too. I am planning on trying it tomorrow from Apsley, but now I don't know.

Man, I wish I had the info on the E trail before we went! The E trail north of the club house was terrible! It should be shown as CLOSED. This is usually one of my favourite section of trails. I have to read more carefully!

Started at the Swiss Bear in Apsley this morning after 9. Headed over to E108 using the detour. The trails were passable. Took the 608/606 to Wilberforce. The rail bed was really nice. Hooked up on the 601 to E trail and then to Harcourt. 601 was OK but trails near Harcourt were not. Then there was the E trail!

It was cold and there was about 1 cm of fresh snow. This was our only lube. All in all 200km and no damage. Although I probably need new carbides. I would not go again unless there is more snow. Kudos to the Paudash club for having the trails flat, but they should have been at best Yellow. They are now, but early this morning they were GREEN.

Saw a couple of different groups up by the park. One heading west and one east. Botrh were doing overnight stays. That was the only sleds we saw all day.

I spoke w/ a rider that was up in the Bancroft area on the weekend. The railbed was pretty much toast.

Just a half an inch of snow. Flurries have stopped.

Radar.doc

Archived