Rice Lake 2010/2011?

InFa_ReD

Has anyone been out on the trails or lake in the Rice/Keene area?

Nothing is open on that side of the lake. And i sure wouldn't trust the ice this early. I would trailer down to the Bewdley/Ganny area where you can ride West for a couple hours to Port Perry.

Drove by there on Tuesday, rice lake still looked open in spots from what I could see on hwy28. But the trails in the area that are open look good. I may trailer up some day next week well everyone is at work and go for a ride.

I rode from the trail cut off west off Harwood to Bewdley and back this morning. Didn't slow down much below 60 but ice is about 8 inches where I was talking to some fisherman near Gores Landing. I didn't see any dark spots but the snow cover is sketchy at best. I think the trail will be staked pretty soon and then it will be safe.

I rode from the trail cut off west off Harwood to Bewdley and back this morning. Didn't slow down much below 60 but ice is about 8 inches where I was talking to some fisherman near Gores Landing. I didn't see any dark spots but the snow cover is sketchy at best. I think the trail will be staked pretty soon and then it will be safe.

Hey i have a cottage on rice lake and this is gonna be my first year going up on sled/fourwheelers. Im from cambridge Ontario which is about 2 hours away. Im just wanting to ensure that the ice is going to be good before i waste the 2 hour trip. My cottage is on Whites island by gores landing and Sandercocks resort, i was just wondering if u could keep me posted on the status of the ice and if there are alot of tracks?

Howdy Neighbor and welcome to the Forum. :mrgreen:

Hey i have a cottage on rice lake and this is gonna be my first year going up on sled/fourwheelers. Im from cambridge Ontario which is about 2 hours away. Im just wanting to ensure that the ice is going to be good before i waste the 2 hour trip. My cottage is on Whites island by gores landing and Sandercocks resort, i was just wondering if u could keep me posted on the status of the ice and if there are alot of tracks?

I think you will be fine. There was guys fishing in that area and I think there should be lots of ice to get to the island. I would keep your speed up just to be safe though....it is early. Just be carefull near the south shore. There are alot of springs and dock bubblers, etc. I wouldn't start crossing to the north side of the lake either. There have been more than myself out there in your area too but it still isn't staked.

Wait until the club stakes the trail on the lake, then you know it is safe. A friend of a friend measured the ice in Harwood and it was 5" last week. Due to the rain a week or so ago and current of the river, I wouldn't trust the ice yet.

Wait until the club stakes the trail on the lake, then you know it is safe. A friend of a friend measured the ice in Harwood and it was 5" last week. Due to the rain a week or so ago and current of the river, I wouldn't trust the ice yet.

thanks guys, keep me posted.. im planning on heading up the second weekend of january so hopefully mother nature will play night right

Hey guys little off subject but where can I park and ride from in Bewdley? I want to ride tomarrow and not knowing the area the biggest pain is trying to find a place to park.

Hey guys little off subject but where can I park and ride from in Bewdley? I want to ride tomarrow and not knowing the area the biggest pain is trying to find a place to park.

There is a parking area right on the coner of #9 and hwy #28 at the lights. The trail passes through it.

There is a parking area right on the coner of #9 and hwy #28 at the lights. The trail passes through it.

E108 is showing as closed in that area today :angry: it was open yesterday...

E108 is showing as closed in that area today :angry: it was open yesterday...

Lol. I imagine it has gotten ridden pretty hard over the last few days! You can follow west on the ninth line about 15 km to the forest center, it is well signed. Free parking and a decent spot to ride from but honestly, I heard there are a lot of rocks, etc coming up...riding is limited.

Lol. I imagine it has gotten ridden pretty hard over the last few days! You can follow west on the ninth line about 15 km to the forest center, it is well signed. Free parking and a decent spot to ride from but honestly, I heard there are a lot of rocks, etc coming up...riding is limited.

Ya unless we get 25cm tonight maybe I'll just ditch bang the trails behind my house. I think they where OFSC at one time, but I think the club was forced to give them up when the City wanted to build a new horse track about 10 years ago.. Still no horse track most likely never will be :headbang:

What are the chances Rice lake will be staked and open for the holidays?

It would be nice wouldn't it :) We're getting pretty cold at night so it should be pretty soon you would think???

I went Fishing at Harwood Yesterday. About 12" of ice. Lots of sled traffic heading Bewdley direction.

Just curious if anyway has been out in the direction of whites island/ sandercocks resort area? if so please let me know what the conditions were like

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyway has been out in the direction of whites island/ sandercocks resort area? if so please let me know what the conditions were like

Ran Rice Lake today right by that area and it is good. Lake still isn't staked but great riding from Bewdley to Harwood and over to the Elmhirst on the north shore. Indian river was good up to where the old bridge supports are in the river (north of Keene) but I was running solo and didn't want to go any further! :(

Ran Rice Lake today right by that area and it is good. Lake still isn't staked but great riding from Bewdley to Harwood and over to the Elmhirst on the north shore. Indian river was good up to where the old bridge supports are in the river (north of Keene) but I was running solo and didn't want to go any further! :(

I have heard it is a great run up Indian River, never been but I would like to.

Would also like to continue on and head to our trailer in Marmora, any idea if it is a fairly easy jaunt getting there or Crowe Lake?

I have heard it is a great run up Indian River, never been but I would like to.

Would also like to continue on and head to our trailer in Marmora, any idea if it is a fairly easy jaunt getting there or Crowe Lake?

Ya it is pretty easy riding. It is rail bed from Indian River through hastings and to Cambellford. The rail bed picks back up on the other side of Cambellford. Not sure what the trail is from there to Crowe Lake though. If you don't know the river make sure to stay on the tracks....you will go through lol.

Ya it is pretty easy riding. It is rail bed from Indian River through hastings and to Cambellford. The rail bed picks back up on the other side of Cambellford. Not sure what the trail is from there to Crowe Lake though. If you don't know the river make sure to stay on the tracks....you will go through lol.

Thanks for the info, might just take the south trails south of Rice Lake and go up that way, not into swimming much in the Winter!

Is there an alternate to taking the river and going up that way? I am thinking heading North from Rice would be a hell of a lot quicker that taking the south trails?

Thanks for the info, might just take the south trails south of Rice Lake and go up that way, not into swimming much in the Winter!

Is there an alternate to taking the river and going up that way? I am thinking heading North from Rice would be a hell of a lot quicker that taking the south trails?

Ya its a straight run along the rail bed E108 thought Campbellford than you pick up E106 just west of Stirling in to Marmora.

The interactive trail guide is actually very good east of Campbellford and the E108/106 junction can't be missed it was an old switch yard for train back in the day. If you look at the area on Google Maps you would think its a hwy ramp, even Google Maps shows it as if it was a road.

Archived