2011 permit

Big Reg

i heard somewhere GG might make his way down

I haven't bought from my local club in about 15 years. I still believe in buy where I ride and have done so for a long time. It's high time I buy from the Dub club. I've done Hornepayne the past couple of years, but to be fair, the best trail in the world is the Dub club and I've ridden there enough that I feel like I owe them.

Yeah - sure - I understand that too. Heck - if you live in S Ontario and are anything like me - you don't ride anywhere's close to home at all and would much prefer to buy yours up north.

That's where me and my chumm bought our sleds as well.

I had heard some talk of Ontario residants not buy from local club not being Kosher. It must have been something that they were talking about implimenting then - rather than was already a rule then. ???

I always buy from the smaller and poorer clubs in the north. Sometimes a club that I only git to their area every 5 yrs or so...

Anything west of the Soo/Wawa/Hornepayne/Hearst corridor has little to no resources. And quite frankly - about that much traffic as well. I hafta wonder if there is more than a dozen riders out of TB? Hardly EVER doo you hear from anyone living or riding west of Manitauwadge/Longlac. And when I have been there - the trails showed zero use on a friday night. We did see a group of 2 or 4 on Sat out of Nip/TB area near Jellicoe was all. :whatever:

I know this is second hand information but I often wonder if the locals in the north are the cause of their own demise to some extent. I hear comments even down in Muskoka about why would you buy a trail permit. I heard a group of sledders from the north who seemed proud to say they haven't bought trail permits in years and why would you want to throw away good money. They say there is little or no enforcement of people checking for permits so why bother. Then they say if you are caught just tell them you are heading to your hunt camp, checking your trap line etc. They figure they can cover it with the legal exemptions. Is this real common in the areas farther north? I don't know. This is just what I heard from one group. If it is common place then they are placing a huge burden on the honest folks that do but permits. Perhaps what is needed is for the trails they like to ride and not pay for to close down for a period. Then they may actually see the value in buying the permit.

• 2 weeks later...

zrtkat, glad to hear you'll be back riding up here. Enjoyed your reports.

Yes, buy where you ride, not buy where it's convenient.

Archived