Kahshe/Bracebridge Trails Today - Report

SlowTouringGuy

It was a picture perfect day; minus 15 this morning, minus 10 midday, sunny, blue sky. So......around 1:30 I could only look out the window so much more. Fresh Air is healthy, eh ?? The Lake beckoned....

P2082529.jpg

and, so, a few clicks down the lake to clear the cobwebs and onto the D trail north. Ugh. Too bad. All the weekend damage was still evident. Quite unfortunate. If anyone sees my kidneys ..............

The world changed at Bethune Drive in Gravenhurst. Sweet, flat, wide, white asphalt trails. All the way to Bracbridge, and beyond. I really think they are being groomed wider now as well. Brilliant trails and a terrific run.

A little bit like spring running. Paved roads are dead bare. Even at sub zero temps there are puddles of water in town. The sun is warm and the snow, in some case, is a bit like that ball-bearing stuff you get late in the season. We investigated a couple of dead-end trails we usually just drive on past. Trail 32 out to Indian Harbour/PattersonKaye/Touchstone. And Trail 31, apparently, to nowhere special. Trail 31 is a throw back to early sledding. Narrow, through a tall stand of forest, joins the Trans Canada Trail for a while and then arrives at Kirby's Beach (?) on Lake Muskoka. Why? There must be some history here as to why Trail 31 was struck some years ago. That reason is no longer readily apparent but I would be interested in hearing if anyone knows !

We had some farm trail:

P2082530.jpg

We had some Forest Trail :

P2082531.jpg

P2082532.jpg

We had some tempting snow highways:

P2082533.jpg

P2082534.jpg

P2082535.jpg

And home as the sun was lowering itself over 3 Mile Lake...

P2082536.jpg

Only 70 miles or so, but not bad for a little break on a Monday Afternoon!

Trails look great! Too bad the bridges are out! :rotflmao:

Nice little Monday ride....good for you!

Great photos - thanks.

Down here in SW Ontario our local trails have not been open yet this year. I have yet to ride because of family commitments but am heading -2- Parry Sound for a week on the 20th.

Keep up the good work with the pics. It is great therapy looking at something other than green grass.

Great photos - thanks.

Down here in SW Ontario our local trails have not been open yet this year. I have yet to ride because of family commitments but am heading -2- Parry Sound for a week on the 20th.

Keep up the good work with the pics. It is great therapy looking at something other than green grass.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about the SW conditions but hopefully you will have a great week up in 'TheHoot' later this month.

No PIX Today, sorry !

I think I had a bout of SJitis. I thought I left my camera at home but when it wasn't next to my computer I looked in my sled jacket and there is was. :oops::oops:

Another little 70 mile head freshener this afternoon. Trails were great.

Went south on D, B to Couchiching from here. D south was a treat. B from the D junction to about 1 mile north of the Black River was great. 1 mile of ugh and then over the bridge to fresh groomed all the way to the big Lake. Some areas south of the Black River are suffering for snow. There are a couple of farm fields that have been blown pretty light for cover too. There are also long stretches of well snowcovered trial that have been groomed up very nicely. Even in the skinny sections, the Orillia club is out there grooming - there may not be the optimum amount of snow but they are making it as smooth as they can. Congratulations on their tenacity. A quick zip across Couchie and now let's decide; 204 land or 204 lake. We chose 204 land and what a pleasure. The railbed was in super shape and 204 had either been groomed very recently or there has been little traffic on it since last grooming. Snowcrest 4 was a delight from the 15 interchange up to the Severn River Inn. Northbound from Cowbell Lane still showed the effects of last weekend and the Sun/lack of snow. Still, that section is only about 12km and there are spots of beaver pond across which one can zip. Hardly another soul to be seen. Gas at the Hawthorne, chat with other riders, a stop or two along the way to compare trail notes and all in all about 3.5 hours. Nice way to slide from early afternoon to Happy Hour !

...Nice way to slide from early afternoon to Happy Hour !

Speaking of pickled livers... :poke: :-P

Have you ever heard of a place called Kerry's or Korry's or something like that? I can't remember, but I think I heard someone tell me that the wait-staff there is very quiet and doesn't whine. :?:?

Freakin' weekday warriors tearing up the trails whilest we slave away at our mundane jobs…we work hard ALL week only to get to the trails on Friday to have them destroyed by reckless retirees in their bid to be the next Jacques Villeneuve!! Unacceptable...something should be done *shakes fist*

Have you ever heard of a place called Kerry's or Korry's or something like that? I can't remember, but I think I heard someone tell me that the wait-staff there is very quiet and doesn't whine. :?:?

:coffeespit: And also has a strict 'no smoking' policy...in fact, breathing is optional.

Freakin' weekday warriors tearing up the trails whilest we slave away at our mundane jobs…we work hard ALL week only to get to the trails on Friday to have them destroyed by reckless retirees in their bid to be the next Jacques Villeneuve!! Unacceptable...something should be done *shakes fist*

Think of us as your favourite snowmobile publication. We're dedicating our precious time toiling away to provide you with up-to-date trail information to make your weekend excursion as productive as possible !!

You're Welcome ! :-D

:coffeespit: And also has a strict 'no smoking' policy...in fact, breathing is optional.

I went to a place like that last week. (?) ok, maybe yesterday. They had a BYOV day. Bring Your Own Ventilator.

I thought the number of sleds outside Bass Lake House were awe-inspiring. You should have seen the Walkers at the entrance to this place !!

Think of us as your favourite snowmobile publication. We're dedicating our precious time toiling away to provide you with up-to-date trail information to make your weekend excursion as productive as possible !!

Yeah...what he said! Actually, our mid-week riding is totally in the public interest... 8-);-)

[...similar to the actions of the Muskoka Landowners Association]

Yeah...what he said! Actually, our mid-week riding is totally in the public interest... 8-);-)

What is this?? Gang up on the workin' man day??? Wait 'til the union hears about this!

What...jealous...nooooooooo

trails and pic look great.

What is this?? Gang up on the workin' man day??? Wait 'til the union hears about this!

What...jealous...nooooooooo

By the time the union can react it will be summertime. :rotflmao::-P:-P :poke: :poke: :rotflmao:

oh, pardon me, I'm hilarious some days - that was 2FF ! Where is the "I must change me Depends" emoticon??

Went south on D

Two trips to return the empties.

:-)

Way to go. Orillia area trails were great last year - sounds like they have a lot to offer this year as well.

(Thanks for the photos. Trail reports with photos speak volumes).

Went south on D

Two trips to return the empties.

:-)

Way to go. Orillia area trails were great last year - sounds like they have a lot to offer this year as well.

(Thanks for the photos. Trail reports with photos speak volumes).

No way. My SkiBoose is not large enough to carry the empties.

You're right about Orillia. They were great last year and they have improved even more this year. A big tip of he OC Helmet to the ODSC for the reroutes and the effort they have put in to this year's trails. I'm sorry that the snow conditions don't show off your work, OD, but don't worry, we riders are very appreciative of all you are doing !!

Archived