Haliburton Questions

sledjunk

I am thinking of going to a test ride this Sunday starting at the north end of Haliburton Lake (near 10 and B ) I was thinking of staying in Carnarvon at the Highlands Motel and sledding to the start figuring on a route of 8, 4, B, 10 or 8, 4, B, E, 10. Which route would be best and what kind of time do I need to allow to get to the start?

If I do this, I would probably go up Friday night and ride the area on Saturday as well, so any suggestions on loops would be appreciated as well.

Also, any other reasonably priced alternatives for accommodations are welcome as well.

Thanks

I am thinking of going to a test ride this Sunday starting at the north end of Haliburton Lake (near 10 and B ) I was thinking of staying in Carnarvon at the Highlands Motel and sledding to the start figuring on a route of 8, 4, B, 10 or 8, 4, B, E, 10. Which route would be best and what kind of time do I need to allow to get to the start?

If I do this, I would probably go up Friday night and ride the area on Saturday as well, so any suggestions on loops would be appreciated as well.

Also, any other reasonably priced alternatives for accommodations are welcome as well.

Thanks

The Highlands Motel is a sled/ATV friendly place to stay. Good choice. Not fancy but fine for a sledder! Both of your options are fine, that you mentioned. Pick up trail 8 right across from the motel and head over to trail 4 then up to the TOPB. From there as you mentioned tale the TOPB to TOPE and then trail 10. Where are you going from there? You can double back from the top of Haliburton Lake on the TOPB then trail 11 and follow Redstone-Little Redstone, Kenisis, Red Pine, Clear lakes, Big Hawk, and either pick up the TOPB back to Carnarvon or trail 16 to TOPB and up to Ox Narrows. I have not run the lakes up in the north part of the trail system this year yet. If "Shake It" is around perhaps he can let us know what Redstone/ Kenisis is like?

That loop is an easy days ride. The lakes in the south are fast right now. Tight with some good lube on top..nothing too deep to plow.

If you are looking for a good ride..why not stay on the TOPB at the top end of Haliburton Lake...and cruise up to Whitney and back home. A full days ride that should be well worth it. If you are looking for shorter rides let me know.

I just rode the TOPB out of Carnaarvon, up to OX Narrows, across St. Nora and along that section of TOPB by Pine Springs to trail 2 and south to Minden. Took trail 2 through town to B103 and up to Haliburton. Then the TOPB back to Carnarvon. Another smaller loop that is about a half day or so riding time (3-4hrs.) There is a huge wash out near Pine Springs about 15 minutes after you cross St. Nora. It is crossable but it sneaks up on you!!

Let me know if you need more info.

Fred Q.

Thanks

The Highlands Motel is a sled/ATV friendly place to stay. Good choice. Not fancy but fine for a sledder! Both of your options are fine, that you mentioned. Pick up trail 8 right across from the motel and head over to trail 4 then up to the TOPB. From there as you mentioned tale the TOPB to TOPE and then trail 10. Where are you going from there? You can double back from the top of Haliburton Lake on the TOPB then trail 11 and follow Redstone-Little Redstone, Kenisis, Red Pine, Clear lakes, Big Hawk, and either pick up the TOPB back to Carnarvon or trail 16 to TOPB and up to Ox Narrows. I have not run the lakes up in the north part of the trail system this year yet. If "Shake It" is around perhaps he can let us know what Redstone/ Kenisis is like?

That loop is an easy days ride. The lakes in the south are fast right now. Tight with some good lube on top..nothing too deep to plow.

If you are looking for a good ride..why not stay on the TOPB at the top end of Haliburton Lake...and cruise up to Whitney and back home. A full days ride that should be well worth it. If you are looking for shorter rides let me know.

I just rode the TOPB out of Carnaarvon, up to OX Narrows, across St. Nora and along that section of TOPB by Pine Springs to trail 2 and south to Minden. Took trail 2 through town to B103 and up to Haliburton. Then the TOPB back to Carnarvon. Another smaller loop that is about a half day or so riding time (3-4hrs.) There is a huge wash out near Pine Springs about 15 minutes after you cross St. Nora. It is crossable but it sneaks up on you!!

Fred Q.

Thanks Fred. The demo ride is put on by my Yammie dealer and the meeting place is at his cottage near the Winterdance DogSled Tours. The ride is supposed to go up to Whitney and back. That is Sunday's ride and I think it starts at 10 so that is why I was trying to get an idea of the timing to get to the top of Haliburton Lake. The other loops sound interesting for Saturday as long as the lakes are staked. I thought that I heard that Redstone and Kennisis were not staked yet but that may have changed with the recent cold.

Thanks

Fred Q.

Thanks Fred. The demo ride is put on by my Yammie dealer and the meeting place is at his cottage near the Winterdance DogSled Tours. The ride is supposed to go up to Whitney and back. That is Sunday's ride and I think it starts at 10 so that is why I was trying to get an idea of the timing to get to the top of Haliburton Lake. The other loops sound interesting for Saturday as long as the lakes are staked. I thought that I heard that Redstone and Kennisis were not staked yet but that may have changed with the recent cold.

FYI, SJ, as recently as today, the HCSA site still says that Kennisis isn't even totally frozen over yet, and that riders should STAY OFF!!...sounds like good advice to me.

2011 sled perhaps?

Never know!? I am interested in trying the Apex with power steering.

Thanks

Fred Q.

FYI, SJ, as recently as today, the HCSA site still says that Kennisis isn't even totally frozen over yet, and that riders should STAY OFF!!...sounds like good advice to me.

That is why I mentioned that if "shake it" is on here, perhaps he could comment on Kenisis. I believe he rode up that way recently. Moose and Eagle are staked and open now.

I was with Pete aka "Shake It". Both Redstone and Kennisis still have spots of open water and are not staked or safe for travel. :wtf: Hard to believe, but true. The wind f'd-up the first freeze over and they've been bad ever since.

I was with Pete aka "Shake It". Both Redstone and Kennisis still have spots of open water and are not staked or safe for travel. :wtf: Hard to believe, but true. The wind f'd-up the first freeze over and they've been bad ever since.

Thanks, that's what I thought I had read.

People are riding both (lots of tracks) and I'm told that there is 6 inches where the pegs usually are but 2 guys went into open water on Kennisis last weekend. I think I'll wait... :idea:

People are riding both (lots of tracks) and I'm told that there is 6 inches where the pegs usually are but 2 guys went into open water on Kennisis last weekend. I think I'll wait... :idea:

they've had the same message on the hcsa site for weeks and its not accurate. Kennisis is not open anywhere right now, but its a big lake so play safe!

also never heard about any clowns going in, probably the narrows or a new bubbler (unheard of until a few years ago right) because the rest of the lake is tight. even the area out from the sand bar at the dam is frozen.

there are pressure cracks to watch out for and they can pop up at any moment. there are lots of sleds on the lake and some huts are out now as well.

be safe out there & enjoy the "game changer"!

Am I hearing this right? You are discounting that two people went in the water? Because it looks frozen over and because other sleds are on it doesnt make it safe. If there arent 10" they don't stake it. If you don't know don't go. Lots of guys who end up dead thought it was safe. Unless you hear it from somebody who'd drilled a hole or the fact that its staked dont gamble because it looks frozen over.

Hey guys Kennyboy is right! There are lots of tracks out there and as of today there is no open water on Kennisis Lake other than under the bridge between big and little and at the mouth of the dam neither of which are on a trail. The lake has not been staked yet because the ice thickness is varying between 6-8 inches where the stake line goes. The HCSA wont stake a lake until there is a consistent 10 inches of good ice. (That is for the safety of all)!!!

This could possibly change by the weekend because it has been very cold at night in the area for 6 consecutive days now and more cold nights in the forecast. With any luck we will see the stake line soon.

Cheers

Thanks

The Pinestone is an excellent choice for price and location http://www.pinestone-resort.com/specials-packages/index.cfm $89 includes accommodation, Dinner and breakfast!! It is also located right smack dab in the middle of the trail system http://www.hcsa.on.ca/map.html only minutes from both Minden and Haliburton and lots of loop choices from there especially now that the bridge in Minden is open!!!

We recieved about 10 inches of fresh snow Sunday, Monday so the trails should be really good this weekend!!

Have a great time :wavey:

almost every lake in Haliburton has open water in 2 places,,,,always,,,if you do not know the lakes,,talk to the locals first and if you do not know,do not go...

My Uncle built the motel in Carnarvon in the 60's(he left in the 70,s),,,,I almost bought it 5 yrs ago,but went a different direction.Sledjunk,if you can manage a few days off during the week I will show you around the lakes up there:right_on: :right_on::right_on:

almost every lake in Haliburton has open water in 2 places,,,,always,,,if you do not know the lakes,,talk to the locals first and if you do not know,do not go...

My Uncle built the motel in Carnarvon in the 60's(he left in the 70,s),,,,I almost bought it 5 yrs ago,but went a different direction.Sledjunk,if you can manage a few days off during the week I will show you around the lakes up there:right_on: :right_on::right_on:

I'll work on that! Sounds like fun!

Well just a quick update.

Goliath met me this morning at the Highlands Motel in Carnarvon and we headed off on a 'little' ride.

No ride with me leading would be complete without at least one 'excursion'. I got confused at a junction and saw that it was the right trail number so we headed down. Turns out we were almost at Minden when we realized that I had gone the wrong way :oops: (Remember, it's not a trip; it's an adventure!!!)

We turned around and got back on track. We basically went from Carnarvon to Whitney for lunch and then to Barry's Bay, Combermere, Lake St Peter, a brief detour to Maynooth Station for fuel, then back to Carnarvon. Trails were quite good considering and we had a great ride. 2 kilothingies short of 400 for the day. :woot: :woot: :woot:

Goliath met me this morning at the Highlands Motel in Carnarvon and we headed off on a 'little' ride.

No ride with me leading would be complete without at least one 'excursion'. I got confused at a junction and saw that it was the right trail number so we headed down. Turns out we were almost at Minden when we realized that I had gone the wrong way :oops: (Remember, it's not a trip; it's an adventure!!!)

We turned around and got back on track. We basically went from Carnarvon to Whitney for lunch and then to Barry's Bay, Combermere, Lake St Peter, a brief detour to Maynooth Station for fuel, then back to Carnarvon. Trails were quite good considering and we had a great ride. 2 kilothingies short of 400 for the day. :woot: :woot: :woot:

:right_on::right_on::right_on: ,nice recovery,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Maybe you should consider getting a GPS

SJ, I think you need to carry more electronics.

(or plug them in) :-P:-P

SJ, I think you need to carry more electronics.

(or plug them in) :-P:-P

Or look at them before I get lost? Naw, where's the fun in that??

I went to the VIP Day today and rode the new Apex, both 128" track and 144". Great sleds and everything that has been said about them is true.

While there, Ceyhoopers, OnratioF7 and Andrew showed up as well. (Even the Cat guy was impressed.)

Afterwards, Ceyhoopers led us on a tour of a number of the lakes in the area. Let's see if I can remember all of them...

Kennisis Lake (Now Staked)

Lake Muskoka

Lake Kushog

and a number of others. It was a great trip and I put on another 276 kilothingies today.

I went to the VIP Day today and rode the new Apex, both 128" track and 144". Great sleds and everything that has been said about them is true.

While there,......... OnratioF7 ..............

The guy is probably a math whiz ! :-P:-P

He better be! He has a Cat name and rides a Yamaha. Guess he figured out the right ratio on that one! :poke: :poke:

Hey Sledjunk, thanks again for the ride yesterday, sounds like you had another good one today.

Glad you enjoyed the new sleds any surprise's unknown mystery sleds... how did the redesigned ski's look

He better be! He has a Cat name and rides a Yamaha. Guess he figured out the right ratio on that one! :poke: :poke:

Archived