Haliburton - Update

Fred Quimby

Leaving in the AM for what will probably be the last or second last ride of this winter. Gonna try for Whitney.

Would love to hear an update on that trail as soon as you get back. I'm heading up that way tomorrow morning.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leaving in the AM for what will probably be the last or second last ride of this winter. Gonna try for Whitney.
Would love to hear an update on that trail as soon as you get back.  I'm heading up that way tomorrow morning.
Sadly, things are pretty brutal up here. This area was blessed with a good dumping of snow early on and that was like a golden invite for sledders to come to Haliburton from far and wide. I have seen huge volumes of traffic on the trails this year and it has taken it's toll. This weeks warm up and lack of snow for much of the winter had left the trails in bad shape. The snow that is here is like sand. Trails are so so in sections and some sections are decent. Many points where trails cross roads are down to dirt and muck. Thanks to those who insist on spinning their tracks at crossings!! It has eroded things badly.Lakes are still good but getting slushy during the day. Nights have been cold enough to refreeze things and that too has helped the trails. I am not banking on making the run to Whitney. Going to run the lakes instead.This will probably be the last week to a very weird season.Cheers.

Thanks for the update...gonna head to Barry's Bay and give it a try up to Whitney.

Sadly things are winding down in Haliburton. My Wife and I were lucky to be able to head up to Haliburton Forest for one last ride yesterday. Looking at the HCSA trails at our back door, things seemed pretty thin. The base is so soft and in many places there is no base left. Mud is very common to see already and there are lot's of rocks showing. Anywhere there is road running, it is down to bare road and no shoulder to edge up on. Road links to trails are out.

When we arrived at HF there were lot's of sleds and trailers to fill the lot. Out on the trails things were actually very good up the East road and the spin off trails in that section. The lakes were frozen solid as the night before was still dipping down to minus nine or so. As the day progressed the main runs and in particular the North road was also down to dirt and there was lot's of water and slush on that section of trail. It was really bad near where they are logging towards little Kenisis. The Lookout trail and the Gorge trail was still spectacular and well worth it to see on such a beauty of a day. A good last ride. Staff at HF were hoping to still be open for a couple of weeks, but I can't see that happening. The daytime temps are pretty warm and even the nights are just cool at this point. I logged only about 1400KM's for this year but then again I also enjoyed other Winter activities such as ice fishing and snowshoeing too. It was a good well rounded Winter. Just not like two years ago when we were still riding into April and March break saw the best trail conditions all season!

Soon it will be time to service the sleds, clean them from ski tips to rear flap and give 'em a high quality wax job and a coat of Krown to the appropriate places. Then to rest for the Spring/ Summer. ATV time is just around the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all at HCSA for a great year. Sad to see the trails close and wishing it was like two years ago. The best rides of the Winter were in March break that year, and we rode into mid April!

Time to summerize and think of other powersports and outdoor activities.

Archived