New Bridge on the D Trail

SlowTouringGuy

I'm posting a Reprinted News Article:

SNOWCREST RIDERS SUCCESSFUL IN BRIDGE FUNDING BID PERSERVERENCE PAYS OFF

BIG NEWS for 2010: For those who have had to experience the 4.5 kms of road running on Doe Lake Rd (D-Trail) the last four years, a renewed experience is about to begin. Snowcrest Riders funding application for Federal Government Funding, and matching Provincial Funding was approved. As a result we are very pleased to announce we have replaced the bridge over Beaver Creek. The in-water work began on September 14, 2009 and was completed by October 1, and the construction of the 240 foot steel bridge is almost completed. (Just some finishing touches) We have some brushing and tree clearing to do, but after four years of trail closure, we expect this section of some of the most scenic Muskoka trail to be re-opened this season!!!

Our Club has worked on this project for over two years with the Federal and Provincial Governments, the MNR, DFO, Engineers, and the Town of Gravenhurst. After running in to a number of road blocks and previous funding requests rejected, we continued to persevere. We are elated that the hard work has paid off. This is something that is very positive for Snowcrest Riders, the Town of Gravenhurst, the Trans Canada Trails Association, the residents on Doe Lake road, and the numerous people who will enjoy this year round picturesque trail. ATV’s are strictly prohibited on this trail, as part of the trail runs through a Conservation Reserve. Snowcrest Riders have obtained all approvals necessary, to manage this trail for snowmobile use.

Special thanks to our Federal and provincial Governments for making this possible.

Pre-construction photo of 220 feet of water crossing. Soon, a 240 foot bridge will span this crossing for trail opening this season.

Bridge1.jpg

Construction of the bridge is completed and spans 240 feet across.

Bridge3.jpg

The decking is almost completed, protective decking is still to be placed to avoid damage from the grousers on the groomer and from carbides and studs on sleds using this crossing.

Bridge2.jpg

Excellent news! Congratulations and thank to the club and the volunteers who kept on pressing.

On another note, is there an OC sticker on the bridge yet?

While we're at it - can you believe this was only a couple+ weeks ago ? December 5th we headed out to do some sections of the D and B trails. B was impossible to access because of the flooding - I'll see if I can find a couple of pictures of the Bogs - so we did a short section of D from the B junction up to the Lake.

PC052516.jpg

PC052517.jpg

PC052518.jpg

PC052520.jpg

The next morning we woke to about 7 inches of snow.

The next week was when Huntsville declared a snow emergency and the accumulation on this stretch was hip deep.

Excellent news! Congratulations and thank to the club and the volunteers who kept on pressing.

On another note, is there an OC sticker on the bridge yet?

Not as far as I know. Not me, anyway - don't carry them in the Argo. :D

The trail leading up to the bridge still requires brushing and signage as it has been closed for 4 years or so. This MUST be completed before the club can safely re-open the trail.

The trail leading up to the bridge still requires brushing and signage as it has been closed for 4 years or so. This MUST be completed before the club can safely re-open the trail.

Post the details of the work party here when you know them.

It will take less than a morning; hardly any big stuff down through there.

This is great news, glad to see our permit dollars and most importantly our tax dollars going to good use. Please keep up the great work and trail system. Bah Humbug on people that say the permits are too costly.

IMG_0928.jpg

I think I know that section of the D.

[attachment=0]DSCN0070.JPG[/attachment]

Archived