Haliburton - changes to trail designations

Fred Quimby

So here goes. The TOPB that used to run from the Pine Springs area south across Hwy 118 to Minden (closed all last year, and most of the year before) has been designated as TRAIL 2. Trail 2 now runs from Pine Springs (intersects TOPB) south to Minden, over the new floating bridge, through Minden and out to the Rail line that runs out of Haliburton. The rail line used to also be TOPB but now is an extension of B103.

Old TRAIL4 that ran north from basically hwy 118 is now TOPB up to Pine Springs and the former TRAIL 1 that ran across the county is also now TOPB, into Haliburton and up to where TOPE starts. The TOPB still continues over to Whitney and Lake St.Peter as before.

There is no re routes or new trails just re naming the above mentioned sections. TRAIL 5 is no longer (used to run out of West Guilford up towards Eagle Lake). Long standing land issues have forever closed that section. TRAIL 6 still runs into Maple Lake area. Trail 4 still runs south from roughly hwy 118 into Minden as well. This meets up with trail 2 and runs into MInden. B103 is now the Rail Trail that runs from Haliburton down to Fenelon.

The really good news is that there will be a floating bridge over the Gull River in Minden. That means with the new bridges over the Anson Creek and this floating bridge, the access in and out of Minden will be much improved and much needed!!

From what I have seen there is loads of signage all around. The bridges have either been fixed or replaced and sectioins have been widened and straightened in spots. Everything is ready to go.

The Wig A Mog Inn n will be closed this Winter so there will be no food or accommodations there (Trail 7). The Highland cup will run this year at the Pine Stone Inn.

Another area to check out :woot:

Rented sleds in that area in early 90's, and have great memories.

have great memories.

....but short! :poke:

Fred, it appears that these changes are on the 2010 HCSA map. I'll revise my GPS files then. Also, thanks for the update on Wig A Mog.

Fred, it appears that these changes are on the 2010 HCSA map. I'll revise my GPS files then. Also, thatnks for the update on Wig A Mog.

They are reflected on the 2010 map. I don't think the club had uploaded the new map to the website just yet. Last time I checked they still posted the 2009 map.

The Wig A Mog Inn n will be closed this Winter so there will be no food or accommodations there (Trail 7). The Highland cup will run this year at the Pine Stone Inn.

Hey, Fred -- do you know what happened to Wig-A-Mog? :wtf:

From my years of cottaging/sledding in Haliburton, I remember it being a busy place in the winter, popular with both sledders and cross-country skiers.

From my years of cottaging/sledding in Haliburton, I remember it being a busy place in the winter, popular with both sledders and cross-country skiers.

I checked their website & I get a "technical difficulties" message. Also, I have a listing for Wigamog Villas. Is that the same place or not?

I checked their website & I get a "technical difficulties" message. Also, I have a listing for Wigamog Villas. Is that the same place or not?

revrnd -- I stand to be corrected, but I'm almost sure that is part of the same resort complex...as I recall, the "Villas" are newer cottages which were built as condo units and are owned separately by individual investors, but leased back and managed by the resort as tourist accommodation, with guest access to all of the resort facilities.

revrnd -- I stand to be corrected, but I'm almost sure that is part of the same resort complex...as I recall, the "Villas" are newer cottages which were built as condo units and are owned separately by individual investors, but leased back and managed by the resort as tourist accommodation, with guest access to all of the resort facilities.

I believe the villas are timeshare units :whatever:

Nobody knows for sure what happened to Wig A Mog. What the local paper was saying is that it is closed for the winter and will re open in the Spring under a new management group. Apparently they will be doing renos over the Winter and changing some things around. I personally think it was poorly managed the last few years. My Wife and I went there for Dinner last Summer and the kitchen was closed at 6 P.M.! The resort was busy though. There were always cars there and in the Winter, the place was usually packed to capacity. I understand that it was booked solid for a hockey tournament this Winter and just shut the doors and did not refund, or has yet to refund deposits!

This year has been terrible for Minden and Haliburton. They lost their junior A franchise (Riverkings), the Canadian Tire that was to be built did not happen (except they tor down the properties they bought for the land, leaving an eyesore), the rebuilt Beaver theater seems to be bottoms up again, and the trails and tours operation has ceased as well. BAD times are still looming.

On a positive note. The Pine Stone Inn will be hosting the Highland Cup this Winter. Pine Stone backs onto Wig A Mog. It shoulf be a great event for sled racing fans.

I think you are correct. All in the same area though. Trail 7 of HCSA runs between the rail line and Kashagawigamog Lake (Wig A Mog Inn), and back up towards Haliburton.

I think you are correct. All in the same area though. Trail 7 of HCSA runs between the rail line and Kashagawigamog Lake (Wig A Mog Inn), and back up towards Haliburton.

And out the back of the property, behind the TeeBox for the 16th hole and right past the entrance to Delta Pinestone. Pinestone is a great destination for sledding. Accomodations, Food, everything.

And out the back of the property, behind the TeeBox for the 16th hole and right past the entrance to Delta Pinestone. Pinestone is a great destination for sledding. Accomodations, Food, everything.

Pine Stone also just sunk some $$$ into the resort too. "Delta" no longer owns the Inn. It was a great place to stop.

We had a SW weekend get together @ Pine Stone a few years ago. Great time except for 1 dick.

We had a SW weekend get together @ Pine Stone a few years ago. Great time except for 1 dick.

UTS is not that bad once you get to know him.

UTS is not that bad once you get to know him.

No I don't think anyone in the present company was involved. If I ever met up w/ you guys I'll fill you in.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a paved portion of the B103 that runs out of Haliburton on the rail line. That small section is not for sledding. It should be clearly marked and a suitable route around the paved portion will be open for use.

Is this south of the F-85 Sabre or north of the road (across from the gas station & motel)?

Thanks !

Will be interested in knowing what kind of a distance difference these changes make. For instance, we used to go from Gravenhurst to Haliburton via Minden. Not so now, it appears. I wonder what the difference in distance the trail change will mean to a trip like that.

Thanks !

Will be interested in knowing what kind of a distance difference these changes make. For instance, we used to go from Gravenhurst to Haliburton via Minden. Not so now, it appears. I wonder what the difference in distance the trail change will mean to a trip like that.

GPS route via C101D - TOP D - SCR #3 - TOP B - B103 (West side of Gravenhurst by L. Muskoka to south shore of Head L. in Haliburton) is 88 miles or 142 klicks.

W/ the rerouting of TOP trails B & E, I've got some route/mileage revisions for my mileage spreadsheet to get done.

Great, thanks as always !!

Your welcome. STG, When I drove across 118 on Friday & saw the sign for the Housey's Rapids turnoff, (which I've seen many times before), I wondered why the local chamber of commerce/visitor's bureau/municipality hasn't put up a billboard stating this way to the dancing mouse's house?

Great, thanks as always !!

Your welcome. STG, When I drove across 118 on Friday & saw the sign for the Housey's Rapids turnoff, (which I've seen many times before), I wondered why the local chamber of commerce/visitor's bureau/municipality hasn't put up a billboard stating this way to the dancing mouse's house?

That sign is incorrectly placed. It should be destroyed. There is no access to the MouseHouse from hwy 118. Nor from hwy 11. Nor from 35 or 169 or any highway. You can't get here from there. :D

There is a paved portion of the B103 that runs out of Haliburton on the rail line. That small section is not for sledding. It should be clearly marked and a suitable route around the paved portion will be open for use.

Is this south of the F-85 Sabre or north of the road (across from the gas station & motel)?

It is CF-100 Canuck built by AVRO in Malton and was powered by two Orenda engines.

Archived