anyone have the map from halfway to chapleau?

skidooboy

Looking for a hard copy of the wilderness trail from halfway to chapleau. trying to figure mileage from halfway to chapleau to flame lake lodge. how hard of a navigation is it from halfway to chapleau via this trail/bush roads? is it marked at all? gonna try a two day loop up to halfway and onto flame lake, stay the night. then go from flame lake to aubrey falls and back to echobay, searchmont or the soo. any info appreciated. also, anyone have a place to safely park rigs for an overnight in searchmont? i have no problem on navigating and have gps just looking for confidence markers to make this happen. ski

We just did a 5 day loop out of Searchmont and left our truck and trailer in the back of the ski area parking lot. I called the resort and they had no issue with us parking way out in the lot. They didn't even plow that area in the 5 days we were out. I have a hand drawn map from Halfway that I picked up on the wilderness trail. I will try to scan it and upload it.

Skidoo boy, you might want to look at riding the bush trails from Aubrey falls into Searchmont. We just did that and it was an awesome last day ride back to the truck, short and sweet to cap off a nice loop. It's only about 90 miles as you take the Domtar back to witman dam road.

i got it handled thanks to jerry on dootalk (sleddude5). will have loop report early next week. see ya! gone sleddin. ski

well, we made the first leg of the trip, were in the soo (whoooo, hoooooo). truck will stay in searchmont for saturday night. we'll try to update from flame lake tomorrow night. i'll have the gps on and we'll get some tracks for our forum group for future trips. we'll be up early tomorrow have a big day 225 miles or so. cannot wait to get out there in the snow. we'll take lots of pics too. ski

skidooboy have a great trip enjoy,I am checking the weather for the soo for next week and they are saying rain for tuesday I am getting scared now we where not going to be back to Heyden until thursday.will ahve to keep a eye on it.

zrtkat

kat, saw your truck at the mountain ash inn last night, looked safe and sound. was gonna spray paint skidooboy was here but figured i'd get into trouble. LOL! ride safe. watch the water crossings. there starting to open here and there. t

he chapleau south trail is only packed not groomed and very little brushing was done. so we did some brushing where large limbs were head level. also a reroute on one creek north of flame lake lodge may mess some people up comming south on the F trail to flame lake/elliot lake way.

be carefull if you take this trail. its tight, rough and unbrushed at this time. it is listed as limited, and i would say that is pushing it at this time. it has open water crossings in a few areas and with the warm up it is going to get worse. dont assume, call and ask. might be better to wait for them to groom, brush and sign the trail better.

if you get to chapleau and you are comming south just out of town you have to follow the road to the trail for a block or so, the trail signs say D trunk to elliot lake aubrey falls. THIS IS THE F TRAIL take it south towards flame lake and onto aubrey falls the signs will change to F down the trail alittle. not sure why it say D trunk on the sign.

ski

Skidooboy thanks for the report (thanks for not signing my trailer) :D I read your earlier post about the wilderness trail so I think we are going back to wawa and then back to the truck.

we took that trail on the way out of Heyden to aubrey falls never again scratched my sled all up and my new electric shield :?

it was not too bad it could be a nice trail

zrtkat

On the 106 then or ???

Needed brushed? Or sapplings bending over from all the snow?

the above was for the F trail south from chapleau to aubrey falls.

the d106 was decent from aubrey falls to the echobay/soo/searchmont intersection. then once on ssm1 (D) and ssm5 (to searchmont) it was super rough from heavy weekend traffic, and there was one large MUD HOLE that you can run the logging road to avoid.

but i figured that section would be rough due to the traffic, no biggie really. they really need another dump of snow and avoid this warm up. they need alittle more snow and another groom or two and alittle help from the weather gods, and the trails would be super.

the new d106 route around premeau lake is nice. no more slush riding, and no more portage across the penninsula with 3 foot whoops for a mile.

mileages trail report as of sunday:

searchmont to halfway 88 miles (good) from general store to down to whitman dam road is plowed and sanded for 3 miles.

halfway to chapleau via wilderness trail 60 miles (first half good, second plowed road)

chapleau to flame lake lodge 60 miles packed, not groomed, not brushed well at this time, water crossings use caution) this trail is just starting to get opened be pacient.

flame lake to aubrey falls 50 miles packed not groomed, needs brushing, water crossings, use caution) this trail is just starting to open, be pacient.

aubrey falls to searchmont 88 miles large unavoidable water crossing 3-4 miles south of aubrey falls use caution. from there to soo trails (D) little choppy but decent. ssm trail to searchmont one large mud hole near ski resort (can get around by back tracking to logging road).

i have the gps tracks, trying to figure out how to load and send them out.

there is not an over abundance of snow from aubrey to chapleau. they dont get the lake effect like the soo, wawa and halfway haven. just a heads up. they need a bit more to work with in there. they have snow dont get me wrong, its not causing the brushing issue for sure. gary at flame lake says the chapleau groomer has a new power brusher they are trying out, to clean some of the trails. hopefully they get it working so it is easier on the man power. ski

wawa to dub 35-55 depending on route, dubreuilville to ernies about 30-35, ernies to chapleau 90, chapleau to halfway 60, halfway to wawa 80. bout 315 miles round trip + or minus. ride to chapleau stay the night, ride back to wawa. good two dayer. if you tried it all in one day you wouldnt see a thing. LOL! just a blur. ski

super easy, just 8-9 miles south of halfway haven. the D trail turns right under the hydroline and heads into the bush, another trail turns left around the rockcut, one of the first trees has a smileyface sign that says to chapleau. your on that road and one other all the way to chapleau (60 miles). be hard to explain comming from chapleau unless you know what to look for. ski

lets see if this works. probably be too small for great detail. ski

92_cd1c5613cae655854b1fa00c9549912c

Add in the co-ordinates for the corners and folks should feel warm/fuzzy aboot that trip - ESPECIALLY going west!

Archived