"wilderness trail" (Pineal lake rd) to Chapleau condition???

700renegade

Anyone on here know if it will be rideable Friday March 20?

Is one of the two roads unplowed by chance?

Gail at half way hasn't seen anyone thru for quite a while I guess.

Also if anyone has info on condition of Chap to Foleyet to Timmins I'd like to hear it. Not worried about rest of loop around the top A If I can make Timmins.

I was there last week, the wilderness trail was better than the D trail from searchmont. If you can get up the D you will be fine. You should watch for warning tape on the wilderness trail, it is marking deep holes in the trail. As for Chapleau, it was all groomed and nice.....that was a week ago last Sunday.

which route are they running this year? north side ( Island lake past the sawmill) or Pineal Lake?

Plowed out? Ice base?

Sorry for asking so many questions - just that once I commit to going thru I can't make it back to half-way on fuel ( I don't stop at half-way).

How many miles again from turn off the D trail to Chap? about 50?

Pineal lake side. There was only a couple of miles of plowed road, and I'm not sure but I think it was the Shepard/Moris road that was plowed. It has allot of ice on it. It is 64m from the turnoff to Chapleau.......do you need gps co-ordinates? if so I will get them to you tomorrow. I took way points at both ends of the trail.

Got some pretty nice detailed maps that show the route and I think I collected my own GPS coords one time - Thanks for all your info.

FYI - I took the trail last Friday afternoon to Chapleau. Great condition most of the way, but there was about 3 miles plowed out near the north end before the highway. was able to get up on top of the bank for a while here and there, so doo-able.

p.s. what is that old set of buildings in the process of demolition about 1/2 way thru - big blue things. Maybe some sort of kilns or something?

p.s. what is that old set of buildings in the process of demolition about 1/2 way thru - big blue things. Maybe some sort of kilns or something?

I am pretty sure that is the "mill" that is on Steve's map.....not 100% sure though.

"Pineal Lake" is halfway from D trail to Chap, or doo you mean halfway from "Pineal Lake" out to Chap?

"Pineal Lake" the "town" is nothing more than a hardwood mill and the residences for those who werked there. The mill has been slow to closed for the last ??? 5 ??? yrs.

what I saw was along Pineal Lake Rd - all that was left was a blue building, a concrete silo and some other bits and pieces of buildings. There was a home off to the south - maybe abandoned also - didn't see a 'town' anywhere.

Along Island Lake Rd there was what looked to be a functioning mill of some sort back a couple years ago anyhow.

Matters not.

I really need to spend some time and make up a real map for Steve at 1/2way. I see last sunday he still has the photocopies of the napkin sketch hanging on the doorframe. Not much of a confidence builder for a new guy that might like to try it. He's a lot of things, but certaily not a cartographer.

Archived