Shining Tree – 3 Bears Camp

SlowTouringGuy

I have never stayed there either. I have gassed up and eaten their burgers for lunch. The food was always good. I was last there in 2005.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just returned from three bear camp we stayed in a five bedroom camp for 2 nights and was totally disappoited with this place first off the driveway going in is rough the the camp itself was ok untill you try to use the lights or appliances trying to use two appliances at the same time they will not work you open up the cupbaoard and you are exposed to electrical wire fuse box with no cover definety a safety hazard the water smelled the gas barbeque that was provided was definetly a problem one burner stayed on all the time had to shut the tank down and 2 of the 3 burners had large hole so no even flame, the first night I paid $80.00 for me and my wife I refused to pay another $80.00 so second night slept in my vehicle which was more comfortable than there beds this cabin definetley needs work if there is one postive it had nice deck and even nicer view of the lake but even this I would not be going back

We stayed there one night when our trip from Timmins to New Liskeard was cut short due to a major storm going through. While a little "rustic" it sure looked like a 5-star that night. The food and hospitality were great. We ran the center of hwy 60 to Elk Lake the next morning as the groomers were off the trails locally until some sleds opened them up. We weren't volunteering for that job. If it wasn't for the stop signs at the trail heads you wouldn't even know a trail was there after that storm.

ZRTKAT and crew stayed there last winter and I will say the hospitality that we had was greatly appreciated, we where running late last winter getting to three bears , almost out of gas , got there late on our way to three bears Kelly had sent someone to look for us because we where late getting there. she checked the place we should have stopped at on the way to see if anyone had seen us,

anyways we made it late that night she cooked us a great meal and we had a nice warm cabin to sleep in.

will stay there next year when we are going through, 

enjoyed our stay and Hospitality

Zrtkat&crew

I just returned from three bear camp we stayed in a five bedroom camp for 2 nights and was totally disappoited with this place first off the driveway going in is rough the the camp itself was ok untill you try to use the lights or appliances trying to use two appliances at the same time they will not work you open up the cupbaoard and you are exposed to electrical wire fuse box with no cover definety a safety hazard the water smelled the gas barbeque that was provided was definetly a problem one burner stayed on all the time had to shut the tank down and 2 of the 3 burners had large hole so no even flame, the first night I paid $80.00 for me and my wife I refused to pay another $80.00 so second night slept in my vehicle which was more comfortable than there beds this cabin definetley needs work if there is one postive it had nice deck and even nicer view of the lake but even this I would not be going back

Well, Joe I am certainly surprised that you did not come to me with this before the forum.....when the ladies paid for the cabin on the Sunday they did tell me about the BBQ (which the guests before you did not report the prob) and I appreciate that the ladies did. There is 1 out of 14 electrical outlets we have a problem with and did just find out about it before your group came in....being 2 1/2 hours from town makes it difficult to have ALL problems fixed immediately. Also.....the CUPBOARD you speak of is a nice covering for our breaker panel in that cabin. I am very surprised at your comfort level as they are NEW Hotel mattresses which are so thick, they barely fit my twin sheet sets. As far as the water smelling, we are checked by the Sudbury Health Dept 3 x minimum a year and have NEVER had to put up a DO NOT DRINK sign.

I would like to mention that we were told the reason you slept in your car was "you were cheap" and I am sorry about your lack of happiness with your stay, but almost expected this as the camp across the lake had guests there that were outside when you went there and started a ruckus at the post office

Myself, if I was THAT unhappy with my stay would have come to the office and probably you wouldn't have been charged.

Well, Joe I am certainly surprised that you did not come to me with this before the forum.....when the ladies paid for the cabin on the Sunday they did tell me about the BBQ (which the guests before you did not report the prob) and I appreciate that the ladies did. There is 1 out of 14 electrical outlets we have a problem with and did just find out about it before your group came in....being 2 1/2 hours from town makes it difficult to have ALL problems fixed immediately. Also.....the CUPBOARD you speak of is a nice covering for our breaker panel in that cabin. I am very surprised at your comfort level as they are NEW Hotel mattresses which are so thick, they barely fit my twin sheet sets. As far as the water smelling, we are checked by the Sudbury Health Dept 3 x minimum a year and have NEVER had to put up a DO NOT DRINK sign.

I would like to mention that we were told the reason you slept in your car was "you were cheap" and I am sorry about your lack of happiness with your stay, but almost expected this as the camp across the lake had guests there that were outside when you went there and started a ruckus at the post office

Myself, if I was THAT unhappy with my stay would have come to the office and probably you wouldn't have been charged.

A lot of great comments you are a service provider were there are few others and you exibit care for your customers 

• 2 months later...

So everyone will know that I moved Kelly and Mychal out of Shining Tree.  She is no longer at Three Bears Camp.  She is starting a new beginning.  If you want to say good-bye to Kelly,  this would be the place to say it.

Spruce Shilling Camp

Shining Tree, Ont.

Wishing the best for Kelly , is Three Bears open for the /15 season ?

Yes it is open. Kelly is fine. Best to call them.

Are you going to have. Fuel this winter too dark side?

Kelly

Good luck on your new adventure

The snowmobile community will surely miss you in Shining Tree

Thanks for all you do .

Zrtkat And Crew :wavey:

Yes we will always have gas.  This is a Petro Canada gas station.  

Yes we will always have gas.  This is a Petro Canada gas station.

Great to know it will be there for us sledders. Still have to run the few Km's of road to get there?

Good luck Kelly!! Thank you for your hospitality!!

We enjoyed our visit last year.

So everyone will know that I moved Kelly and Mychal out of Shining Tree.  She is no longer at Three Bears Camp.  She is starting a new beginning.  If you want to say good-bye to Kelly,  this would be the place to say it.

Spruce Shilling Camp

Shining Tree, Ont.

Great News!  Once you rebuild the place (assuming you are bulldozing it) it may be a place I would visit again.  

Great News!  Once you rebuild the place (assuming you are bulldozing it) it may be a place I would visit again.  

I'm sorry i don't understand what you are saying.

I'm assuming you are rebuilding the accommodations, or some serious catching up on maintenance.

You read the post wrong.  I didn't buy Three Bears.  I already own a camp, gas station and LCBO, 3 km east of Shining Tree.  It's called Spruce Shilling Camp.  The same owner is still at Three Bears.  Just Kelly and her son have moved.  I just thought the guys on this forum who knew Kelly and have been at Three Bears every year would like to tell her goodbye.  That's all.  As far as work over there, that would be up to the owner, not me.

you're right, I did misunderstand...

Thanks for letting us know Darkside.  I wish Kelly and her son all the best and I hope they are doing well. 

Its a hunting/fishing camp, you aren't charged for nor should you expect first class accommodations. If you want that stay in Huntsville.

Kelly,

Thank you for all you have done for us over the years.  Our group and I will miss you.  There are so many wonderful memories we have of our time in Northern Ontario; the time we spent with Kelly at 3 Bears ranks right at the top.  Regardless of the bashing the camp gets from time to time, it is truly a spectacular place, made, in large part by Kelly's efforts.  Each year, we made our annual pilgrimage to 3 Bears, we may need to make an adjustment this year.    I know many of us would love to hear from you again, just to know how you're doing. 

Best of luck to you and Mychal,

AO

Kelly,

Thank you for all you have done for us over the years.  Our group and I will miss you.  There are so many wonderful memories we have of our time in Northern Ontario; the time we spent with Kelly at 3 Bears ranks right at the top.  Regardless of the bashing the camp gets from time to time, it is truly a spectacular place, made, in large part by Kelly's efforts.  Each year, we made our annual pilgrimage to 3 Bears, we may need to make an adjustment this year.    I know many of us would love to hear from you again, just to know how you're doing. 

Best of luck to you and Mychal,

AO

You are more than correct. The place "IS" Kelly.

What it will be like without her is something else.

All the best Kell and thanks for your hospitality !

Nor didn't plug up the ladies toilet on purpose, honest !

Stayed there  once and have to agree with most of the above.

The place itself is rather rustic, but what do you want for the more than reasonable prices.

I do remember the hospitality and the food from Kelly.

Hopefully she finds somewhere else to offer the same hospitality, and the owners find a suitable replacement.

Lots of places fold when they have shitty accommodations and a bad attitude.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck to you and Mychal Kelly. We will miss you greatly. Thanks for all your terrific service and hospitality. The place just won't be the same without you. How can i get a ruben that is not on the menu now???

Craig.

Archived