Shining Tree – 3 Bears Camp

SlowTouringGuy

February 2009

The Three Bears Camp is but a driveway�s length off the trail; good access. It was great to visit there again as one is always made to feel welcome. Kelly is a good hostess; welcoming, good natured and full of fun. The Main Lodge where food and drinks are served is filled (filled) with knick-knacks to attract your attention and filled with other sledders telling terrible stories and carrying on to all hours. :D The lodge is a fun place to visit and one is rewarded with hearty meals (hungry man version) at all sittings. The kitchen seems to be open and ready to greet sledders throughout the day.

The cabins, unfortunately, can �charitably� be described as Rustic. We had a 5 bedroom cabin for the 7 of us and had it been for sale I�m sure it would have been listed as a Handy Man�s Special. Furnishings included. The water needs treatment too. It has a very heavy mineral odour (sulphur?) that is so strong it permeates the entire cabin and surrounds you even in the outdoors. Don't light a match when the faucet is open. :shock: The combination of cabin condition and smell knocks the ranking down considerably but it is a destination that won�t fall off my list.

The Three Bears Camp driveway is right on the trail at Shining Tree. The main lodge contains the kitchen, restaurant and bar. It is LLBO licensed. Gas is on-site.

Park the sleds at your door.

We paid $40.00 per person plus meals.

888-315-4540

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STG, we stopped by there a few winters ago & the cabins (on your left as you ride in) looked decent (from the outside). Or are these cabins not used in the winter?

STG, we stopped by there a few winters ago & the cabins (on your left as you ride in) looked decent (from the outside). Or are these cabins not used in the winter?

Same ones. We were in the first one on the left as you drive in. Down closer to the lake. From the outside it didn't look too bad. But inside it was in pretty rough shape. "Rustic" :lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

A friend advised that last week he and his group paid a really riduculous rate for a nights sleep and supper.( $145 per-sleep,steak,breaky and 16 L of gas) Ouch :o:o:o:o

A friend advised that last week he and his group paid a really riduculous rate for a nights sleep and supper.( $145 per-sleep,steak,breaky and 16 L of gas) Ouch :o:o:o:o

Yup. That's the way the bill looks at check-out. 40 bucks a night to sleep over. But you'll easily drop another 100 on two meals, a couple of beer and a half tank of gas.

Stopped for lunch there last week. 1 Soup, 1 grilled cheese sandwich, 1 club sandwich, 1 iced tea, 1 soda water and 23 L of gas. $63.00.

• 10 months later...

February 2009

The Three Bears Camp is but a driveway�s length off the trail; good access. It was great to visit there again as one is always made to feel welcome. Kelly is a good hostess; welcoming, good natured and full of fun. The Main Lodge where food and drinks are served is filled (filled) with knick-knacks to attract your attention and filled with other sledders telling terrible stories and carrying on to all hours. :D The lodge is a fun place to visit and one is rewarded with hearty meals (hungry man version) at all sittings. The kitchen seems to be open and ready to greet sledders throughout the day.

The cabins, unfortunately, can �charitably� be described as Rustic. We had a 5 bedroom cabin for the 7 of us and had it been for sale I�m sure it would have been listed as a Handy Man�s Special. Furnishings included. The water needs treatment too. It has a very heavy mineral odour (sulphur?) that is so strong it permeates the entire cabin and surrounds you even in the outdoors. Don't light a match when the faucet is open. :shock: The combination of cabin condition and smell knocks the ranking down considerably but it is a destination that won�t fall off my list.

The Three Bears Camp driveway is right on the trail at Shining Tree. The main lodge contains the kitchen, restaurant and bar. It is LLBO licensed. Gas is on-site.

888-315-4540

just to let you know all cabins have been re furnished...would be nice though if people let us know their problems before they let the world know.

KELL

A friend advised that last week he and his group paid a really riduculous rate for a nights sleep and supper.( $145 per-sleep,steak,breaky and 16 L of gas) Ouch :o :o :o :o

Yup. That's the way the bill looks at check-out. 40 bucks a night to sleep over. But you'll easily drop another 100 on two meals, a couple of beer and a half tank of gas.

Stopped for lunch there last week. 1 Soup, 1 grilled cheese sandwich, 1 club sandwich, 1 iced tea, 1 soda water and 23 L of gas. $63.00.

just to let everyone understand we are 2 hours from town and we only jack our prices according to what we are charged. but you are welcome for fuel in the middle of no where even though we have to have an arm and a leg for it. sorry

Kelly I understand you frustration but I feel that your posts are not helping you as they seem angry.

What I do see is the following facts . That your lodge is welcoming and the food is plentiful and good . That the Beer is cold and the atmosphere welcoming and the hosts are more than pleasant . That the gas is clean and of good quality. That being a remote operation greatly increases costs that must then be passed on to the user . I have paid more than 145 to sleep in a hotel at the airport have dinner and breakfast with no gas . This was in a sterile uninteresting environment that had no adventure or history to it . Keep up the good service and try to keep smiling it is one of the reasons that people do love three bears.

I agree with WB. I am pretty sure there was no malice in the original post. The purpose of the thread is to highlight good services, and not so good services, right? To some, accommodations might be of higher importance than the quantity of food or quality of food. Where others may want some cold beer, a shot or two, a heap of hot home style food and just a place to rest your head after all that. I think that after reading the original post,I would not hestitate to stay and eat at your place. I just would not expect satin sheets and a pillow fluffing service either. It is not Deerhurst! It is a nice place to rest after a day on the trails. Having said that, it is easy to understand that as the owner, you might feel that you were not judged fairly or correctly? Perhaps even attacked? Nobody wants to hear that their experience at an establishment was less then A1. I have first hand experience of staying at a place that was pretty much the only "joint in town". It was a joint! The owner stood on the premise that if you don't like it, then too bad, there is no other option, and you will pay what I say!! If there was no negative or positive feedback to food and accommodations owners as yourself would naturally not do better or improve things or keep what is working going. It is just feedback.

Just 2 weeks ago I paid $160 at the best western in pembroke and at the lakeview motel in Haliburton.......without gas........without a steak dinner......without breaky. I think your friend did quite well.

Overall, from all that I talked to, the price of gas is what it is, it is the reality of being remote. You have to pay, but you have no choice. Thank you 3 Bears for having it.

On the topic of food/bar/restaurant, everyone always seems to enjoy themselves and this keeps them coming back. Keep up the good work.

As far as the cabins, yes, some are better than others. I have stayed in the big one by the lake and one of the new ones up top (a few years back). The smaller one up top was nicer for sure, with a gas fireplace. My only challenge in that trip was we were in need of a light bulb as one was burned out and we surprisingly (to us) weren't supplied soap in the cabin. We asked at the time, and were provided soap.

Overall in my opinion, you are staying at a rustic "camp" vs. a chain hotel/motel and you have to factor that in to your expectations. I have always enjoyed my time and my only recommendation is that the cabins and amenities (like water, soap, etc.) could use some work.

It is nice to hear that it sounds like there are improvements.

Kell - I don't think anyone hear really means anything negative (other than possible improvements) and I would be willing to bet most of the people here who travel district 14 have stayed / stopped at 3 Bears more than once and will continue to do so.

We value your input to our forum and condition updates so please keep it up and view these comments (by all) as possible improvements to make 3 Bears more enjoyable for your guests.

WOW!!!!!!!!...Some of these comments have really PISSED me off.......I think some of you should maybe stick to your little day trips and that is it if you can not actually afford to go away !!!!!!.

We stayed there last Wednesday night and the service and accomodations were nothing less than excellent. A delicious steak dinner...3 beers...full breakfast, room and 30 liters of fuel....$136 .

Further more Kelly was more than concerned about 9 pm that 2 guys ice fishing had not showed up yet. See if a big establishment would give a rats ass! So they finally showed up at 11pm wanting supper which she did then was up and coffee ready for our group at 7 am. And still smiling !!!I too have run a small company for over 20 yrs now and some of you guys have no idea how much some comments hurt.

Feedback, good or bad is important. It should never be a personal attack. How else will you know how to change things without feedback? Things can't remain the same forever. Feedback offer the chance to learn about customers likes and dislikes and helps evaluate your business. Again it should be without malice. Negative or positive, it is all important.

Well, I'm a fan of 3 Bears! This is one of my favorite places to go for lunch and back! I've also stayed there before with no issues!

Wow. I go out of town for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose. :-D

Kell, it's a great place to visit. That post is a year old and if the cabins have been restored, even better. If they haven't been restored, I'll still go back but I'll ask for another cabin.It wasn't my first visit and it sure won't be my last. I love it in the Bear's Den but that one night we had a less than great cabin to stay in and I reported it as I saw it.

I also reported some pretty good stuff:

February 2009

.......it is a destination that won�t fall off my list.

888-315-4540

It's a balanced report and I stand by it.

I couple of years before I also posted a review that not only said similar about the Bear's Den and the hospitality but was much more positive about the cabin we had - no issues.

Glad to see you and your trail reports on board here and hope to see you in the Bears Den again too.

Well,STG... Welcome back.. similar,if you're planning a trip it's nice to know cost. I asked and was told and thought the cost was up there..Have travelled and normally figure $200 per day per couple including food and gas. So..having said that..this is an information thing not to disc anyone but information.

I stayed at three bears a dozen years ago and it was an increadible special $50 bucks a head for steak dinner/breakfast and accomodation in one of the cabins. I know they cannot afford to offer that rate any more and saty in business. Its a fishing/hunting lodge type of establishment. The food and hosptality is very good. The accomodations were clean but dated. I would visit there again. The fuel was available on site which is a big plus as you cannot pass a chance for fuel up in that country and for that I was grateful. It has to be trucked in hence the greater cost.

We have stayed at 3 Bears, every year, for a long time. When you consider all of the variables, it is at par with other places. How much is gas in Fraserdale? How much would a 32 oz. steak and a room cost at Deerhurst? It's all relative. (I'm sure there's a West Virginia joke in there) The people and the atmosphere at 3 Bears is one of those that you have to experience. We have a huge bonus now that Kelly has signed on here. It would be nice if the beds were a bit more comfortable or if they didn't run out of the beer of choice, but where else would you rather be when it's -30 out. I appreciate all that they do for us.

• 1 month later...

We have stayed at 3 Bears, every year, for a long time. When you consider all of the variables, it is at par with other places. How much is gas in Fraserdale? How much would a 32 oz. steak and a room cost at Deerhurst? It's all relative. (I'm sure there's a West Virginia joke in there) The people and the atmosphere at 3 Bears is one of those that you have to experience. We have a huge bonus now that Kelly has signed on here. It would be nice if the beds were a bit more comfortable or if they didn't run out of the beer of choice, but where else would you rather be when it's -30 out. I appreciate all that they do for us.

Been going to 3 Bears for over 15 years and my only issue is the Cheating Hendrick "48" room. Otherwise a awesome place to visit and stay at and who cares about the cost in the middle of no where. If you don't like it - then drive by and wave.

• 9 months later...

We have reservations at the Three Bears Camp for Saturday night (Feb 5th, 2011).

Just wondering if the conidtion will permit us to sled from Cochrane to the Camp this year. We are leaving for New Liskeard this Thursday the 3rd for our Gold Rush Tour.

• 3 years later...

I just returned from three bear camp we stayed in a five bedroom camp for 2 nights and was totally disappoited with this place first off the driveway going in is rough the the camp itself was ok untill you try to use the lights or appliances trying to use two appliances at the same time they will not work you open up the cupbaoard and you are exposed to electrical wire fuse box with no cover definety a safety hazard the water smelled the gas barbeque that was provided was definetly a problem one burner stayed on all the time had to shut the tank down and 2 of the 3 burners had large hole so no even flame, the first night I paid $80.00 for me and my wife I refused to pay another $80.00 so second night slept in my vehicle which was more comfortable than there beds this cabin definetley needs work if there is one postive it had nice deck and even nicer view of the lake but even this I would not be going back

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the forum.  Three Bears is a special kind of place.  It's not for everyone, I don't think I would take a family vacation to Three Bears.  However, it is one of the finest places at which I have ever stayed.  It has kind of a cult-like following, I feel a need to make at least one annual pilgrimage there.  Once you've stayed there a few times you'll understand.  There are few places left with the same ambiance and hosts like Three Bears.  I can't wait for my visit there in a few months.

Never stayed there, but have gassed up on trips thru the area.

Camping in Algonquin in June this year I met a couple & sledding came up in conversation. When I mentioned gassing up when you had the chance she mentioned a place on the way to Timmins. She couldn't think of the name of the place or business, but had a fun time. When she mentioned that her name was carved in the picnic table, I blurted out Shining Tree and she added Three Bears. We both had a good laugh.

Archived