2009 Northern Blastoff "10th Annual"

revrnd

Well it's 2 more sleeps until we head out for Lillabelle.

This is the 10th year I've done a week long trip up north. The 1st was kind of a last minute invite from a friend who was going w/ 6 other guys leaving from Capreol. Highlight of that trip was pushing a sled across the motel parking lot in Hornepayne trying to free up the track.

That year we did 1300 miles in 7 days. Lucky for me as my whole total that year was barely 1600 miles. I think I got in 3 rides from Apsley that year.

Now it seems we're planning the next year's ride when we're up there.

Any of you folks that plan on riding up in Dist's 13, 15 & 16 next week watch out for 2 REV MXZs, a REV GSX & a 40th Ann' Ed' Apex, that's us.

Sun: Ride from Cochrane to Hearst

Mon: Hearst to Geraldton

Tues: Geraldton to Manitouwadge via Nakina Loop

Weds: Manitouwadge to Wawa

Thur: Wawa to Hornepayne

Fri: Hornepayne to Kapuskasing

Sat: Kap' to Cochrane

Have a great trip - say HI to Rod & Kim for me! Awesome area to ride! Looking forward to your trip report and pics upon your return. :wavey:

Have a great trip!!

1 more sleep, see you guys in a week. I'll post my pics & a trail report when I get back.

1 more sleep, see you guys in a week. I'll post my pics & a trail report when I get back.

Happy sledding!

Have a great trip. We're going to just miss you.

Sunday Wawa to Marathon

Monday Marathon to Klotz Lake

Tuesday Ride Longlac, Nakina area

Wednesday Klotz Lake to Cochrane

Have fun Kris!! :wavey:

Well we're back in Kap today. Nothing too eventful other than cutting a small tree down north of White River.

TOP A from Longlac to the "Closed" section west of Hillsport was OK on Tuesday. We made our way to M'wadge (I'll plead the 5th). Weds', we broke trail on the D108A down to TOP A. About 6" of fresh snow that day.

Now for the fun part, running TOP D to White River, on a cloudy day w/ light snow, made for a interesting trek. No sled tracks so, just watching for the last groomer "cuts" was a bit hard on the eyes. Got off the trail a couple of times. Nothing major. North of White River you could feel the ruts in the base from the thaw. The fresh snow was a godsend.

Once we got south of WR, the trail had about 6" of fresh snow on a recently groomed trail. Met a bunch of southern Ontario sleds in a group (3 or 4 had Birch Point Racing decals on the w/s). Trail was good over to D'ville. Down to Wawa it was chewed up a bit especially w/ the fresh snow.

Yesterday when we hit the D'ville section, you could tell it had been groomed, but we were following 40 sleds in a group ride so it was chewed up good until the TOP F jct'. They turned south to Chapleau, so trail was good to D'ville.

Stopped in & got gas & went to see Luc, but the lazy bones (JK) hadn't started his shift yet. Trail up to Hornepayne was smooth & snow covered, met 2 sleds south of the Kabi. Hornepayne had groomed recently to there & it was good into town.

Today we met the Hornepayne groomer about a 1/2 hour north of town. He'd done his run to Mooseland. Met 4 sleds between Hearst & Hornepayne. West of Calstock T/O we passed the Hearst groomer heading home.

That's all for now. I'll be back online Sunday night, so if anyone has any quesations I'll try to answer them then.

We got in last night. Snowing pretty good above North Bay. Only road hazard was a guy riding his bike on the shoulder to the LCBO @ McPhersons's Esso near Kirkland Lake.

1227 miles for the week. The only issue was the "cluster$%^&" east of Klotz Lake w/ a water hazard & non-existant detour.

It was fun to meet 600XC & zrtkat @ Lillabelle.

revrnd it was nice meeting you guys this weekend we made it too Hearst :D it was a great ride to here. we are just waking up and getting ready to go to wawa.

have a great day

zrtkat

Some more mileages from our trip, taken from my GPS. I'll add them to my mileage spreadsheet when I update it & the motel list.

Longlac - Manitouwadge: 98 miles/158 kms

Manitouwadge - White River: 87 miles/140 kms

White River - Dubreuilville: 68 miles/110 kms

Dubreuilville - Wawa: 53 miles/85 kms

Dubreuilville - Hornepayne: 83 miles/134 kms

Hornepayne - Hearst: 99 miles/160 kms

Archived