Charging Battery on SkiDoo

DooGTXFan

I killed the battery on my SKIDOO GTX 800 trying to get it to start. Another year off to a great start.

Anyone know if I can use a regular car battery charger to recharge the SkiDoo battery? Is a SkiDoo 12 volts?

TIA

Jim

It is a 12 volt battery . You need to be careful not to overcharge it . Usually the best way to charge it is with a charger intended for these batteries such as the "battery tender" as the automotive charger often does not offer a low enough charge rate to suit these small batteries.

It is a 12 volt battery . You need to be careful not to overcharge it . Usually the best way to charge it is with a charger intended for these batteries such as the "battery tender" as the automotive charger often does not offer a low enough charge rate to suit these small batteries.

Thanks for that info Bill i wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for that info Bill i wasn't aware of that.

You are welcome RODy

Can Tire has a charger that fit specs as described by WB...1 or 1.5 amps...normally about $27, but frequently on sale..got one for $10 last year.

Aside....Wild Bill ...studs are working fine...hit the big hill on C104D west of C101 today...Ms. Slomo didn't even have to get off sled! (and didn't realize what was happening until she looked back at the bottom)

Can Tire has a charger that fit specs as described by WB...1 or 1.5 amps...normally about $27, but frequently on sale..got one for $10 last year.

Aside....Wild Bill ...studs are working fine...hit the big hill on C104D west of C101 today...Ms. Slomo didn't even have to get off sled! (and didn't realize what was happening until she looked back at the bottom)

Glad to hear that you impressed your wife with the studding job.

Be careful with those maintenance chargers, if your getting one make sure it is an automatic one vs a manual one.

I wrecked 3 batteries this summer not knowing that they couldn't be left on for long periods of time.....especially on a small battery.

Question: Does Mrs. Slomo now call you a "stud muffin"????

:wavey:

Question: Does Mrs. Slomo now call you a "stud muffin"????

:wavey:

Nope....usually called 'couch potato'...describes activities on the trail and at home.... :D

as for 'stud muffin' ?....never could figure out whether the term referred to male or female...when you think about it.

I had to get a new battery as well this year. The battery place where I got it said to use a 2A charger rather than a 10A charger.

It pays to have a good charger. I bought the one shown below. Crappy will have them on sale for $69 occasionally.

0111520_450_CC_v1_m5657756983066516.jpg

Thanks for the info - but in case you guys didn't realize - I am in New Jersey - No Crappy tire.

Can I use the car charger just for as long as it takes to start the sled rather than actually charging it? Jump start it with the charger?

That is assuming why I can figure out why it cranks but does not turn over. I am thinking maybe the gas line is frozen, but I think I can smell gas

when I'm trying to start it.

If I can't get it started, I'm going to have to drag it all the way back to the dealer in Pennsylvania 50 miles from here to have it looked at.

When I picked up the sled from the shop last month after its tune up :wtf: I was talking to the salesman about trading in this GTX for the new one with the 4-Tec engine. You think the gods are trying to tell me something?

Thanks for the info - but in case you guys didn't realize - I am in New Jersey - No Crappy tire.

Can I use the car charger just for as long as it takes to start the sled rather than actually charging it? Jump start it with the charger?

That is assuming why I can figure out why it cranks but does not turn over. I am thinking maybe the gas line is frozen, but I think I can smell gas

You can boost it from any 12 volt battery (car etc.) with cables...it will just draw what it needs. Is the engine cranking i.e. turning over, but not starting? Check for two things, fuel and spark. Remove spark plugs, re-connect to plug wires, lay on engine to ground and crank. Look for spark at electrodes. Smell open cylinder at spark plug hole. Should see/smell evidence of fuel mixture.

Thanks for pointing that out Indy - re registered this year and forgot to update my Profile.

Thanks Slomo - I'm going to putz around with it today. The temp is going to be in the 40's (8 C) here today. Good day to work on the sled

CTEK 3300 will charge .5 amp, 2.0 amp, and 4.0 amp. i bought mine out of the states, i belive most auto parts shops carry them. they come with a pig tail to attach to batt. and they are "Smart Chargers" will not over charge. They are described as a Tender/charger. I bought mine at performance improvements they were on sale there at the time. and very compact easily transportable.

If I can't get it started, I'm going to have to drag it all the way back to the dealer in Pennsylvania 50 miles from here to have it looked at.

When I picked up the sled from the shop last month after its tune up :wtf: I was talking to the salesman about trading in this GTX for the new one with the 4-Tec engine. You think the gods are trying to tell me something?

Carefull it is not hard to overheat and burn out the starter.

Well Guys Thanks for all the advice.

I don't know if was the warm temperatures outside, the gas line anti-freeze or removing and testing the plugs, but while I had the second plug out checking for a spark it started right up. Put it back in and voila - starts like it's brand new. Never even had to put the charger on it.

One last dumb question - is there an alternator in the sled? I'm thinking not, so the battery won't get recharged unless I put it on a slow charger right?

Jim

By the way the local Auto Zone sold ATV/snowmobile batteries. That really surprised me. Checked the book for compatibility with mine, it said that battery model blah blah blah was good for all ski-doo except the deluxe 500 600 700 800 ? What the heck is a deluxe? :wtf:

Their smallest charger though was 2 amp which is the same as mine.

Well Guys Thanks for all the advice.

I don't know if was the warm temperatures outside, the gas line anti-freeze or removing and testing the plugs, but while I had the second plug out checking for a spark it started right up. Put it back in and voila - starts like it's brand new. Never even had to put the charger on it.

One last dumb question - is there an alternator in the sled? I'm thinking not, so the battery won't get recharged unless I put it on a slow charger right?

Jim

The sled does have a charging system so now you MUST go sledding to recharge the battery. :D

Should be nothing wrong with a 2 amp charger.It is a starting battery which will probably draw 20-30 amps on a start.I have the same battery in mine for the last three years and use the 2 amp setting to keep it charged.Probably the most important thing is to make sure the water level is up.

Those smaller battery chargers @ 500miliamps are great for a 12volt 7ampere fishfinder battery though.

Kerry

Should be nothing wrong with a 2 amp charger.It is a starting battery which will probably draw 20-30 amps on a start.I have the same battery in mine for the last three years and use the 2 amp setting to keep it charged.Probably the most important thing is to make sure the water level is up.

Those smaller battery chargers @ 500miliamps are great for a 12volt 7ampere fishfinder battery though.

Kerry

All the recreational battery manufacturers include a pamplet in the box with the battery reccomending the use of a 500ma charger.

On the top of the batterys from ski-doo it says to chage at 1.8Amps for 5-10 hours,  Every year I charge over 200 batterys at 2 Amps and have never had a problem.

Yes you right it does say that however the service manual calls for 500 ma :wtf:

Archived