"A" trail in OPASATIKA - "C" trail from Smooth Rock Update

RXWonder

Just a heads up to early season riders......

If anyone is trying to get to Hearst, you'll be stopped in your tracks once you get to Opasatika. We rode from Kirkland Lake to 50 kms out of Hearst and the trail literally stopped in OPAZ.

I'm sure we could have pushed through but a buddy's chaincase let go and we had to go back and get him.

We broke new trail in 3-4 feet of snow from Smooth Rock down to Timmins on the "C" trail. I can't see that one being open for a while. The culverts aren't filled in and there looks as if there is alot of work to be done still.

In both case we were told by locals that all trails were open and groomed. Even some local sled clubs told us these were open. No problem because we still had fun and we made it to Timmins and had a great night.

Timmins has a ton of snow!

By any chance was the chaincase that let go on a Yamaha? If so, would you mind letting us know how many km's were on it?

By any chance was the chaincase that let go on a Yamaha? If so, would you mind letting us know how many km's were on it?

Sure was.....2007 Attak...about 5000 kms on the sled Lots of oil in the chaincase....not sure what happened. We are thinking he broke a chain.

How are you enjoying the new sled?

We are thinking of heading that way this weekend.

Is Kirland to Kap OK?

Is Kirland to Kap OK?

Hey Meirda....new sled is great! Kirkland to Val Gagne was touch and go. Had to cross an open stream. Once you get past Val Gagne your clear to go all the way to Kap. Trails from Cochrane to Kap were pretty good. Not great....but good.

Is Kirland to Kap OK?

Hey Meirda....new sled is great! Kirkland to Val Gagne was touch and go. Had to cross an open stream. Once you get past Val Gagne your clear to go all the way to Kap. Trails from Cochrane to Kap were pretty good. Not great....but good.

We decided to try St Donat/ St Agathe. Wow are the trails windey!

Don't think I will ever come back. Lots of traffic too!

Just spoke to a guy from the Kap Snow Rovers.....asked about Opasatika. Still marked a "CLOSED" and last time I was there, it was CLOSED (no groomer had gone through at all). I'm not sure what's going on there. It seems as if every year this is the last portion of trail to open. He wasnt sure what was going on either, but will bring it up at this weekend's meeting.

Archived