Midland area

2fast4u

Just wondering on how this area is shaping up? and who has snow in this area and who doesn't seem to look patchy? Thanks

I just finished clearing 2 feet of snow from my driveway. No shortage of snow. Hopefully things froze up enough underneath after the warm spell. Would suspect trails should be good by next weekend as there is a ton of snow and more on the way. The ice isn't great and all this snow won't help that a big deal.

Thanks ski-dog keep me posted as we are still un sure if we want to chance it this weekend or wait another weekend. Thanks again

How is the ice on the C trail re-route ?

That Re-route runs you right out front of Henry's fish and chips , and at the best of times it has breather holes and current , right at the doral Marina . I'm concerned about it when I run the ice every year over their for lunch. I also heard from the ice hut operators over on Hoggs bay that the heavy amount of snow has forced water through and has now created slush under the powder. I just hope the GBSR is responsible about staking that stretch and waits till a few not so slow tourers break trail and open it up for some cold to get in. I'd play her safe for the time being !

Just my opinion

Yukon

I haven't had a chance to get out myself between working and clearing snow. I like snow but a break would be good about now. Since Friday evening close to 4' has been dumped in my driveway. In town is a bit less we always get more being on a point that juts out into the lake. As for the bypass on the Lake I would be surprised if GBSR would mark it. The club traditionally does not mark or maintain the ice crossings the markers are done by others. The ice in that area is generally safe as long as you stay away from the mouth of the river but as I mentioned it did not freeze up that great after the warm spell and before all this snow and there definitely will be lots of slush out there. The groomer has been out the last few days around here and I suspect the trails should be in good shape this weekend.

Whatever you do, be careful re: Wye River. Don't follow river to shrine, Sunoco, etc.

It's either slushy (now) or, if frozen in mid Feb., leaves ice shards that wreck tracks. Better route is subdivision on south side of river. Then follow road up to Hwy 12.

This may be the re-route of C is talking about anyway.

Thanks for excellent reports above.

Thanks for the reports on the re-route. I know there has been plenty of talk (debate) about it. Let's pray for a good cold couple of weeks to make things more solid out in front of Henry's/Doral. I'd sure feel a lot more confident if the club staked it rather than following the tops of pine trees. :shock:

You can bet I'll be asking again before I make the trip. :D

Note the disclaimer that Ice Trail not maintained by MOST. As mentioned and due to liability they have not traditionally maintained the ice trails in the area. That said there is a tree line from Henry's over to the Coal dock where you can get back on the trail. This section of ice travel is starting to see some heavier traffic thus the snow and slush are getting pounded down which will stiffen it up a bit. Distance of travel is about 1 km. Area ice is still not for those that are not familiar with the area and is seeing limited travel in the area (outside of the shortcut). It should be much better by next weekend.

I took ski-pup out for a ride yesterday and the trails were a real back breaker. Tons of sleds (I saw hundreds literally) and a soft base from all the snow means trails don't hold up. If I didn't know better I would think the trails were not groomed. This isn't true though as I saw the groomer numerous times and as late as Friday night out grooming. Just a great deal of traffic. I think we will go tobogan riding today instead.

Archived