"Official" Halfway Haven '09 Thread

Ox

Hey guys - Hope no-one headed north this weekend!

Halfway is NOT open for business yet!

They haven't even made it "in" yet from their one month holiday out of the bush. I just got word from Gayle that they have a grader off the side at the bottom of Jeep Hill. Anyone that knows the hill knows that's NOT a good place to be. I just about slipped back down that sucker once myself a few yrs ago!

She says they are sending another grader in tomorrow to fetch the first one.

After that they will start to git things thawed out and git a tanker truck back in there. I am sure they have a little gas left over from the ATV's of just a cpl months ago, but not ready for the season yet...

Even if the trail is groomed - unless you are sure that you can make Wawa on your own gas - I wouldn't recommend a run up there untill I post back. Hopefully they will be ready to go for this next weekend?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll tell yuh what fellers - I am having a real "Parrallel Universe" experience here...

I [thought that] I originally posted this here back on Sunday afternoon. link here

But when I came back to check on Monday or maybe Tues morn there had not been a post on the whole northern board since my thread started. My threads was here, but no-one else seemed to have been. At first I assumed the site had been down doo to ice storm?

But then logged back on late last night on kids 'putor in the house and there were lotsa new posts as well as my thread was NOT here. :wtf:

I PM'd Luv My and a reply this AM showed that he didn't find my thread NOR my PM to him back on Sunday to see aboot pinning this thread for a few days untill they get opened. :wtf:

Rebooted out here and same thing again. I usually come in directly to this "Northern" board, so I decided to back up one level and lo and behold - there are signs of life! Linked back down to this board and there are new postings as well as the lack of my thread again....

This now has me wondering if that page is somehow only loaded on my 'putor?

You guys let me know if that linked page from Sunday loads for you eh?

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

The grader went off early last week. I was there last night with the wawa groomer (was after 1am so everyone was sleeping but there was a fuel truck with chained up tires in the driveway along with steves truck.

Our end is groomed :D

Like I said - my original post is a few days old as of today.

Thanks Rick (?) for the server info. I looked at the addresses and there was a "1" in the old address and not in the new one. It looks like there really is a parrellel thing going on!

I updated my saved addresses...

Hey Ox.. Domino moved the forum the other day to a new server.. Possible it got lost in the move.. Not sure will ask him.. Have a Merry Christmas.. Rick

Its possible if someone was taking a while to write a post when I shut down the board, it may have been lost. I did the change on Saturday evening. After that there has been no changes and the board has been fast :)

OK - it is safe to travel north now from Searchmont! Not exactly ready to rock and roll, but ....

Once again this year as in the past - keep in mind that the text in red is a copy/paste from an e-mail from Gail at Halfway and I am NOT Gail or Steve. Just freinds...

Merry Christmas one & All!

Yes, we finally made it back into the lodge (it took two graders to open our road for us--but that's a long story, and will tell it in person) Anyhow, yes we are here, yes, there is 2 ft. of snow!! We have heat & lights & our fuel truck was in yesterday, so fuel also!! I have a pot of soup on for you, but we are still working on a few projects, as the lodge didn't like us leaving it alone!! But that just means Steve's job drum is full up again!

Anyhow, Wawa groomed down to us!

We expect to see the Trailblazers grooming from Searchmont, right after the holidays (they tried to come earlier-but with the road not open, we had to get the fuel truck in first---an now it's the holidays!!

Anyhow, will let you know, soon as I see the groomer arrive!!

I expect to see riders breaking trail from Searchmont tomorrow!

The pilot project of the groomer being stationed in our yard, did not materilize this year, so back to the previous system

of Wawa Sno Riders grooming down to us, and Sault Trailblazers grooming up to us from Searchmont!

Off to shovel!!! Wear off my holiday fat!!!

Bye for now Gail

She also wanted to pass along that it was beautifull and sunny as well.

Dated last night:

Hi Everyone!!!

It's 5 degrees here and lightly raining, it didn't rain all day, but sure was mild. Apparently to get colder tomorrow-will keep you posted!

Still have not seen any riders yet, but I have 5 booked for tomorrow night, riding from Searchmont.

The Sault Trailblazers groomer, headed north to us this am., but got 12 miles up the Way Wright, and had to return to Searchmont with mechanical problems!! So Steve figures it's packed, kinda halfway to Halfway---boy did we name this place right or not!!! And as my last report said, we are groomed from Wawa.

To anyone who cares---my super, duper handy man (that would be Steve), now has my water running again!!! Yeah, Yipee!!! For a while it seemed one step forward, and two back, but now it's going in the right direction!

Bye for now

Gail (with the clean hair!!)

Then aggin this morning:

Good Morning Class!

Well, last night, heavy rain almost all night, right up until 6:00 this am., now when we look out it is snowing, and blowing like crazy, almost white out conditions,, the trees are heavily laden with ice, and now the snow is sticking to them, so I'm thinking they will be major bent over! Temp. presently 0.9 degrees.

Just spoke to the group booked for tonite, and they are heading up now from Searchmont---------------I'll keep you posted how they make out (or not!), and so I'm off to bake blueberry pie!!!! (Sorry Harv!!!---and maybe Larry too!!)

Bye for now

Gail

Dated Tuesday - Dec 30

Good Morning!

It,s a beautiful, post card perfect day here in the forest, trees heavily laden with snow, sun shining, perhaps the birds are singing (haven't been out yet) and -12.6 degrees. We have about 7 in. of new snow accumulated (my job today, to move it off the roof, onto my shoveled walkways & decks, and shovel it again!!) But since I ate a whole can of cashews myself over the Xmas holidays, it will not do me any harm!! So still about 2 ft. of snow on the ground!

Enough rambling, we had 7 overnite guests break trail from Searchmont, the nite before last, and 6 day riders from Dubrueilville yesterday, and the groomer left Searchmont at 6:00 this am., so should be here approx. 6:00 tonite, Will keep you posted!

Bye for now

Gail

thanks ox, hoping she updates tomorrow or early thursday. we are trying to decide to trailer to searchmont, or just go up to wawa. we are leaving thursday afternoon. ski

Just fer Yammi-Boy:

Hi Everyone!

Yes, the Sault Trailblazer groomer is in my yard! They are grabbing some sleep, and heading back to Searchmont at 6:00 am tomorrow. I guess there was a lot of bent over trees for them to contend with, but other than that everything went well!!

So....ready.set.go...............snowmobiling!!!

Bye

Gail

thanks ox, (bigtime) we are commited to go up then. whooo hooo. anyone else want to meet in the soo and trailer to searchmont for a few days of riding??? loosely, we will be staying at the villa inn @ the soo thursday night. trailer to searchmont trading post friday am, ride to wawa friday. ride local stuff saturday, and ride back to searchmont and drive home sunday night.

i'd loop to chapleau if i thought they would be open but, they have limited resources and are alot slower to get their trails in than the other communities in the region. so that loop will wait a few more weeks to give their volunteers a chance to get things going.

with any luck i can bring reg's two up seat mount for him. ski

Keep in mind that I am not Steve - and I Shirely aint Gail! :wavey:

Dated Monday Morning Jan 5th:

Hi Everyone!

Wawa Snoriders groomed down to us yesterday, so trail is mint.

Sault Trailblazers groomed up from Searchmont New Years Eve, so trail was good, and now has about 5 new inches of snow on it!

The trees are major laden with snow, so it's a winter wonderland!

Bye

Gail

Dated this morning - Tuesday the 6th:

Hi!

Boy did we get snowed on yesterday! Must have got about 8" of new plouffy (thats the real light snow) snow. Didn't see any riders yesterday, so no trail report, but they sure must be blown over at this end. Will let you know first sled reports!

Bye

Gail

Hi Guys!

I have a new measuring tool, and actually we got 11" of plouffy snow yesterday!!! (Yes, I know it's called a ruler--we're slow learners here!)

Bye

Gail

Just got home from Yonder:

We put first tracks on newly groomed last night as we met the groomer going south on the Domtar.

Trail is in SUPER condition!

Only met three groups (maybe 8 sleds?) going north today. I full expected this to be a slow weekend, but likely pick back up next weekend aggin.

Still a few sapplings hanging low north of the Cow, but if they git just a cpl warm days to git all that snow off the trees Shirely would help. Makes nice pics tho...

Watch the speed bumps in that last klick heading into the bush @ Halfway. The groomer went through there for the first time on Friday and had a hard time of it. He backed up and hit it aggin and aggin, and he left a pile behind hime each time. Not sure why he didn't turn around and come back to clean up the mess once he was through?

It is unbeleivable how much snow is hanging in the trees north of the Cow! There is lots everywhere - but it seemed to git even heavier from there up.

It is unbeleivable how much snow is hanging in the trees north of the Cow! There is lots everywhere - but it seemed to git even heavier from there up.

Nothing compared to the inside back cover of Novembers Snowest tho! :o

I can't seem to find a phone number for Halfway anywhere - how do I contact Gail to make some reservations for our group? Did I miss it? :crazy:

ox, has anyone ran from halfway to chapleau on the wilderness trail? any logging or plowed bare spots anyone know of. guessing steve and or gayle would know.

also looking for info on the chapleau trail grooming from the wilderness trail south to flame lake, then on to aubrey falls. we emailed karen and gary at flame lake last week but havent recieved a reply. hoping things are ok with them.

with the warm up, we may just jet to the soo friday night. ride to halfway and chapleau saturday, then back to searchmont on sunday. drive home on monday.

any info is appreciated. ski

No tracks on it yet last weekend.

You would hafta ask Steve aboot plowing between Pineal and Chap...

FWIW - the plowed rds we ran last weekend weren't half bad! There was decent dust for the sliders/coolers, by no means eny bare spots! With no + temps I am sure the snow dust would still be there, and reasonably sure your not gunna have much of an issue with bare rd enywhere in the area! Some parts were icy tho. Mostly out where the wheels were running tho...

BTW - the going will be MUCH better than your last trip! (Unless by chance that -30 gits down into that base... then - sugar all the way down!)

thanks for the info guys it really helps. glad we can share this info hear on a daily basis. makes it easy to plan or change plans. wonder how the grooming is chpleau south to aubrey? only leg i cant find any info on the net on. ofsc shows all chapleau trails closed. soo shows all open inc aubrey falls and the 106. but 60 miles of unknown may suck. but hey, it's only the second week in jan, and i know the clubs and volunteers are working their asses off. and for that, i thank all of you! ski

Musta came in on Sat afternoon... :oops:

Good Morning!

Well, for two mornings in a row, it's so cold, my thermometre that only reads to 40-, had no reading------

Now the sun is out so it has warmed up to -34.7, I think I'll go out & catch a tan!!

Needless to say trail traffic is very slow, I had two "brave" riders yesterday, they said they were stupid, not brave, I said brave was a nicer word!

They rode from Searchmont, said the trail is still good, one rough patch, but that was all, and Wawa trail, was good as of the day before, but lot's of snow on it. Just checked long range weather, and it's to stay this cold for another day or so!!!!

It's still a winter wonderland, the snow is still sticking to the trees like I have never seen, so it looks like a post card, feels like a freezer, and now I'm out of adjectives, so will close!!

Bye for now

Gail

I sure hope that -40 didn't muck up the base!

Archived