Gowganda/Elk Lake/ Matachewan Trails Update

Gowganda Lake Camp

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey 14Snow glad to see you made it home safe and sound.. It was great to meet you guys and it was our pleasure having you here.

Thanks again :)

ps.. did your trails survive???

Thanks Ron. Muskoka trails held up well there are likely some wet spots and we need snow. Unfortunately there is now a land owner issue that has closed many D7 trails. It is in regards to a tree cutting bylaw and the snowmobilers are now being held hostage... We will see how the rest of the winter pans out now.

Trail Update Feb. 16

"A" Trail Through Elk Lake has been groomed to loosen it up a little.

A107C from Elk lake to Gowganda to C trail near shining tree - Trail in great condition ( still a little hard )

C106A from "A" trail through Matachewan to L143 - great shape ( also a little hard).

L136 between Gowganda and Matachewan - great shape (flat but hard)

SNOW IS COMING -- The snow is supposed to start by tuesday morning and dump from 10-20 cm's by thursday. We will be out grooming all trails as soon as the snow slows down. Probably Wed, Thurs and friday night. JUST IN TIME FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!!! :woot:

Will update closer to the weekend

Ron

Ron thats great news we are thinking of coming your way from the soo hope they get the snow also we are hoping on riding from the soo on thursday.

thanks for your up-date

zrtkat &crew :woot:

Ron thats great news we are thinking of coming your way from the soo hope they get the snow also we are hoping on riding from the soo on thursday.

thanks for your up-date

zrtkat &crew :woot:

I think most of us have similar conditions One snow will make everything A1 again. Your timing could work out for some nice riding. Drop in and say hi if you are in the area. :wavey:

Ron

Lots of snow and still snowing!!!

A107C from Elk Lake to Gowganda groomed last night

A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree will be groomed tonight

C106A from A trail through Matachewan to L143 getting groomed tonight

"A" trail through Elk Lake getting groomed tomorrow night.

L136 between Gowganda and Matachewan getting groomed tomorrow night.

Ron

Yep, endless amounts of snow. Probably a good 12" since last night, but the wind has picked up. Very cold now too. Heading back to SW Ontario tomorrow...had a very good week of riding around all of District 14. Probably had my last ride of the season today...unless I can talk the wife into letting me come up hear again in March!! Given the base they have here, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still sledding in April. Thanks to Ernie at the Bridge Inn in Kenogami...great host...great food!!

Ron

Hey, Ron... :wavey: Really appreciate your regular updates on grooming and trail conditions...we may be up your way the middle of next week and if so, may darken your door. Unlike last year when I dropped in to meet you, maybe this time you'll be there...LOL. At least I got to meet and chat with Giselle.

If it works out in the planning of our saddle-bag loop (still being finalized), we may stay over a night at your place...we'll call to confirm.

Is L136 still "interrupted" part way through by that narrow, rough stretch of a few kms that you can't groom? Except for that stretch, we really enjoyed that trail last year on our way down from Matachewan.

Also, another question...do you know how much of the south end of L143 (north from C106A) is still ploughed for logging? If we come down your way from Timmins, we'd like to run the L143 instead of "C", but not if there are miles and miles of hard-pack ploughed road to run at the south end. Updated info on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

irREV

Ron

Hey, Ron... :wavey: Really appreciate your regular updates on grooming and trail conditions...we may be up your way the middle of next week and if so, may darken your door. Unlike last year when I dropped in to meet you, maybe this time you'll be there...LOL. At least I got to meet and chat with Giselle.

If it works out in the planning of our saddle-bag loop (still being finalized), we may stay over a night at your place...we'll call to confirm.

Is L136 still "interrupted" part way through by that narrow, rough stretch of a few kms that you can't groom? Except for that stretch, we really enjoyed that trail last year on our way down from Matachewan.

Also, another question...do you know how much of the south end of L143 (north from C106A) is still ploughed for logging? If we come down your way from Timmins, we'd like to run the L143 instead of "C", but not if there are miles and miles of hard-pack ploughed road to run at the south end. Updated info on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

irREV

Hi irREV

I will be getting an update on exactly what's what on the L143. When I get that I will pass it on. As for the L136 yes there is still a 2 km section in the middle that we havn't passed the tractor through yet but it is wider this year. There has been alot of help in brushing and packing it 10 ft wide. Depending on timing we may get the tractor through there soon with the additional snow and the hard pack base. The other 38 km;s is very good . Like I said I will give you an update on the 143 soon and if I can help with any other info let me know.

Ron

ps.. I'll try not to stray too far from home next week. :lol:

We stopped in at Three Bears in Shining Tree on Thursday night for gas. Found out our destination after Three Bears wasn't quite what we were expecting. Kelly at Three Bears called ahead to your place to see if you had room for us. You did and said to head your way. Kelly, thank you very much!

When we arrived at Gowganda Lake Camp, the lights were on a Giselle was there to welcome us. Giselle kept the store open for our arrival in case we needed anything. Then she offered to bring dinner to our beautiful cabin if we hadn't eaten, which we hadn't!

What an great place to stay, the food is excellent and we could not have been made anymore welcome! We didn't get to meet you as you were just leaving in the groomer when we arrived and just returning as we were getting up in the morning.

After a delicious breakfast we were on our way again. I have to say the trails in around Gogama, Shining Tree and Gowganda were some of my favourite!

Wannago

Sounds like you had a great trip and thats good to hear as we are staying at Gowganda next weekend for 3 days :D

It sounds like the trails are good to go after the fresh snowfall in the middle of the week :) I just did 150 KMS around Muskoka but its just not the same as the T.A.T.A. systems

MM

We had an awesome trip and I highly recommend Gowganda Lake Camp to stay at. They are truly wonderful people.

Trails were great and a ton of snow up there, it snowed everyday during our trip. Some days we were pushing a half a foot or more of snow. Some pretty awesome drifts to bust through where the wind was blowing!

Stopped at another lodge for lunch in Gogama. Tata.Chika.Pika, very nice place.

Enjoy your trip!

Shari

Hi Wannago

Thanks for the compliments and we are glad you enjoyed yourself. I wish I could have met you guys but I was burnt out when I came back from grooming that night and went straight to bed. The mechanic had re-directed the exhaust pipe to over the cab and I think I was sucking fumes all night. I know Giselle really enjoyed your group. Sounds like your whole trip was really enjoyable ... and you made it home safe . :woot:

Thanks again

Ron

Trails update - Sat feb 21

We have pretty much caught up from the tues.,wed.,thurs. snow and the high winds friday. All of the trails have been groomed once with exception to the "A" trail through Elk Lake. Our driver for that trail ended up getting sick so we are working on it today .

Ron

Hi Wannago

Thanks for the compliments and we are glad you enjoyed yourself. I wish I could have met you guys but I was burnt out when I came back from grooming that night and went straight to bed. The mechanic had re-directed the exhaust pipe to over the cab and I think I was sucking fumes all night. I know Giselle really enjoyed your group. Sounds like your whole trip was really enjoyable ... and you made it home safe . :woot:

Thanks again

Ron

Your very welcome and I do mean every word of it! Sure wish we had been heading out the way you had been grooming! Trails were actually really good until we got closer towards New Liskard, all the snow and the wind made for some pretty bigs drifts, especially out in the open fields. We will be definitely be back up to stay at your place and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Shari

We've stayed there before too and hopefully going up again in the next couple weeks, very very nice place and very nice folks.

(that should earn me the location of the big fish :woot: )

Hey Ron. Sent you a PM yesterday, you get????

Shawn.

Ron

irREV

Hi irREV

I will be getting an update on exactly what's what on the L143. When I get that I will pass it on. As for the L136 yes there is still a 2 km section in the middle that we havn't passed the tractor through yet but it is wider this year. There has been alot of help in brushing and packing it 10 ft wide. Depending on timing we may get the tractor through there soon with the additional snow and the hard pack base. The other 38 km;s is very good . Like I said I will give you an update on the 143 soon and if I can help with any other info let me know.

Ron

Hi, Ron -- thanks for the reply. Our little group of 6 is in Kirkland now, and we're headed to Cochrane for 2 nights tomorrow, but it now looks like we're not going to get down as far as Gowganda... going to Tata-Chika, then across to the 143 and back up to Timmins again. (I was out-voted by the rest of the group. :( ) So, I'm sorry to say that we won't be able to stop by this year after all. However, if you hear anything more about the ploughing on the 143, please do pass it on,...we'll be on it this Thursday.

Thanks again for your help, and good luck with the rest of your season.

irREVerent

Ron

irREV

Hi irREV

Ron

Hi, Ron -- thanks for the reply. Our little group of 6 is in Kirkland now, and we're headed to Cochrane for 2 nights tomorrow, but it now looks like we're not going to get down as far as Gowganda... going to Tata-Chika, then across to the 143 and back up to Timmins again. (I was out-voted by the rest of the group. :( ) So, I'm sorry to say that we won't be able to stop by this year after all. However, if you hear anything more about the ploughing on the 143, please do pass it on,...we'll be on it this Thursday.

irREVerent

I would stay at Post 392 if you going to be on the C trail south of Timmins. We stay there every year and the place is great with fantastic food.

We had an awesome trip and I highly recommend Gowganda Lake Camp to stay at. They are truly wonderful people.

Shari

Wow, you're not kidding ! We had a terrific stay there. For accomodations, for food, and for people who really made us feel welcome. I'll be writing them up in the food/lodging forum and they'll be getting top marks !

irREVerent

Hey I'll run into you one of these days..... Well not physically.

I did get an update on the L143. I was told that it is plowed the entire way but was also told that it is still good riding. There is plenty of snow left on the road and when you have to get off the road the bank is winged back. Three bears has had quite alot of traffic with no complaints.

I hope this helps and I hope it is a good ride for your group. With the snow predicted It should be !!

8-)

TRAIL UPDATE Feb.25

"A" Trail through Elk Lake - Open ,Groomed , Excellent cond.

"A107C" from Elk Lake to Gowganda , and from Gowganda to C trail near Shining Tree - Open,Groomed, Excellent cond.

"C106a" from "A" trail through Matachewan to L143 - Open, Groomed, Excellent cond.

"L136" runs between Gowganda and Matachewan - Open, Groomed, Excellent cond.

All trails groomed since Sunday night... Here is a pic of A107C groomed Monday night (picture taken this morning) looks like a pretty quite day yesterday. I never thought I'd ever say this but I hope it stops snowing for awhile.. :)

Happy Sledding

Ron

TRAIL UPDATE Feb.25

"A" Trail through Elk Lake - Open ,Groomed , Excellent cond.

"A107C" from Elk Lake to Gowganda , and from Gowganda to C trail near Shining Tree - Open,Groomed, Excellent cond.

"C106a" from "A" trail through Matachewan to L143 - Open, Groomed, Excellent cond.

"L136" runs between Gowganda and Matachewan - Open, Groomed, Excellent cond.

All trails groomed since Sunday night... Here is a pic of A107C groomed Monday night (picture taken this morning) looks like a pretty quite day yesterday. I never thought I'd ever say this but I hope it stops snowing for awhile.. :)

Happy Sledding

Ron

[attachment=0]P2220190.JPG[/attachment]

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

We will be riding those trails next week - more snow in the forcast

Thanks for the update Ron!

We will be riding those trails next week - more snow in the forcast

Thanks for the update Ron!

Arrrggggg! Its coming down like crazy right now ....

Their talking possibly another 15cm.. tonight to tomorrow now. Yeeesh! Looks like another long night in the tractor... :wtf:

Archived