Gowganda/Elk Lake/ Matachewan Trails Update

Gowganda Lake Camp

Hoping to have most trails open shortly after christmas. "A" trail from Elk lake towards Englehart/Liskeard has been groomed and in good shape. A107C from Elk lake towards Gowganda Groomed/Packed (letting marshy area's freeze now). Should have A107C from Gowganda to Shining tree groomed in the next two days. Working on a few problems still on "A" trail north of Elk Lake towards Kirkland lake but should be ready by christmas.

c106d through matachewan scheduled to be done right after Christmas. Will post some pic's in the next couple of days. That is if the newer Grooming tractor will stay running for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

ps... Happy Holidays everyone

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don,t think that I can wait untill 2025 to ride. Trail looks great.

Merry Christmas to everyone. We hope your holidays are wonderful

We are lucky enough tonight to have a beautiful snowing Chrismas Eve. :wavey::wavey:

Trails are already being groomed and in great shape and the plan is through the holiday season to have them signed and ready to go.....

Happy Holidays

Ron, Giselle , Jack and Max

Hey Ron. Hope you and your family have a great christmas. Pictures look real nice. Wish we were closer right now. I imagine the odd one is out christining the trails. Hard to resist I bet. Take care.

Shawn & Carole.

Oh ya, thanks too for the calender. It'll be going up next to the computer very shortly.

We ended up getting a bunch of rain sat. night and into sunday morning which knocked down the snow a little. Looks like the trails held up pretty good with the exception of a few washout area's. :banghead: Didn't send the tractors out today waiting for things to set up a little harder plus we are getting heavy snow now . Groomers are going out tomorrow .

Will post an update in a few days..

Ron

Both Groomers have been out for the past 3 days. The A trail from Elk Lake towards Earlton/liskeard and from Elk lake towards Kirkland are groomed and signed. ( After inspection should be opening hopefully Monday). The A107C from the north end of Stumpy to Gowganda and from Gowganda towards Shining Tree is groomed ( should also be opening early next week). The A107C from South end of Stumpy towards Elk Lake is being groomed right now . If all goes well just have to sign it (should open early next week).

Starting monday we plan to be working on the C106 through Matachewan . :woot:

If you have any questions give us a call

Ron

" Trails opening " :woot:

The "A" trail from Elk Lake towards Liskeard and from Elk Lake towards Kirkland is open. Listed as limited for now as the Montreal river is not staked yet ( detour through town).

The A107C from Elk Lake to Stumpy is open . From Gowganda toward C trail near shining tree opening in the next day or two.

We are now working on the C106A through Matachewan and the L136 from Gowganda to Matachewan.( L136 was missed on the map again but connects directly from Gowganda to Matachewan between A107C and C106A.

Hoping for all trails to be open within the week.

Ron

" Trails opening " :woot:

The "A" trail from Elk Lake towards Liskeard and from Elk Lake towards Kirkland is open. Listed as limited for now as the Montreal river is not staked yet ( detour through town).

The A107C from Elk Lake to Stumpy is open . From Gowganda toward C trail near shining tree opening in the next day or two.

We are now working on the C106A through Matachewan and the L136 from Gowganda to Matachewan.( L136 was missed on the map again but connects directly from Gowganda to Matachewan between A107C and C106A.

Hoping for all trails to be open within the week.

Ron

Glad to hear L136 still exists. That is a great trail. I haven't ridden it in a few years but I drove by it last year.

Thanks for the update Ron!!!! I really wanna come up to you place this winter.. Is it possible to ride from Alban to your place in a day.. I seen a sign that Shining Tree was about 200 km from Rocky's.. My cousin lives in Alban and I want to trailer there on ride north.. Maybe see you soon... Any ice fishing yet?

Thanks for the update Ron!!!! I really wanna come up to you place this winter.. Is it possible to ride from Alban to your place in a day.. I seen a sign that Shining Tree was about 200 km from Rocky's.. My cousin lives in Alban and I want to trailer there on ride north.. Maybe see you soon... Any ice fishing yet?

We are about the same from Rockies as Shining Tree (maybe a little more). Most of the trail from Rockies is pretty fast so it is easy in a day . When on the C trail heading north you come to an intersection. You either turn left and continue on the C towards Timmins (shining tree) or turn Right on the A107C and it brings you to Gowganda.

Ice fishing is on!!!! Lake trout are starting already and have heard some pickerel too. Hope you can make it up this winter..

Ron

Just back from Grooming A107C from Gowganda to C trail near shining tree . Trail is already in real nice shape. The A107C is now open from Elk Lake to Shining Tree. A trail through Elk lake is open and being groomed again tonight. C106A has been groomed once and is being signed this weekend and should be groomed a 2nd time over the weekend also. L 136 between Gowganda and Matach. has been groomed half way to Matachewan and should be finished over the weekend. Lots of good riding now available. Had 8 sleds pass me tonight on the trail. :woot:

Sorry no pictures ... forgot the camera

Ron

Thanks for the update......is it possible to take the "A" trail out of Liskeard and catch the C106A through Matachewan and hook up with the "C" North to Timmins?

Yes if you take the A out of Liskeard through Earlton to Elk Lake and then north you can catch the C106 through Matachewan to the C trail . The C106 has been groomed but is not officially open yet . The trail is being signed this weekend and should open early next week. Between Matachewan and the C trail there is some logging for about 17 k so the trail is plowed . The logging company is working with us and not sanding the RH side of the road and leaving extra snow for sleds.

Happy sledding

Ron

Thanks for the update......is it possible to take the "A" trail out of Liskeard and catch the C106A through Matachewan and hook up with the "C" North to Timmins?

Yes if you take the A out of Liskeard through Earlton to Elk Lake and then north you can catch the C106 through Matachewan to the C trail . The C106 has been groomed but is not officially open yet . The trail is being signed this weekend and should open early next week. Between Matachewan and the C trail there is some logging for about 17 k so the trail is plowed . The logging company is working with us and not sanding the RH side of the road and leaving extra snow for sleds.

Happy sledding

Ron

Oh ya ... the logging is only supposed to last for another 2 - 3 weeks

Was at Gowganda this weekend from Sudbury, trails were in great shape for anybody looking for a place to ride with great trails. I will be posting pics and a trail report within the next couple of days!

Thanks Gowganda Lake Camp for the great hospitality! :P

:twisted:

Great news....thanks :woot:

Evil.....I take it you rode up from Sudbury on the "C" ? Was it ok? We are looking at parking in North Bay and riding up through Sudbury to the Post 392 (south of Timmins). How were the trails down South (around Sudbury "D" trail and C206D)

Great news....thanks :woot:

Evil.....I take it you rode up from Sudbury on the "C" ? Was it ok? We are looking at parking in North Bay and riding up through Sudbury to the Post 392 (south of Timmins). How were the trails down South (around Sudbury "D" trail and C206D)

We rode from Azilda to Rocky's (Wanupataie Lake) then up the C206D to Gowganda, trails were in great shape. It's like the middle of winter there. I'll post pics tomorrow.

You might want to check the trails south of the City, I know some trails were still showing up as closed. I heard from Garson to Rocky's was rough.

Evil

TRAIL UPDATE

A107c from Elk Lake to Gowganda and Gowganda to "C" trail near Shining Tree - OPEN (good condition)

"A" trail through Elk lake - OPEN (good condition)

C106a from "A" trail through Matachewan - OPEN (limited condition)

L136 between Gowganda and Matachewan - CLOSED ( groomed/packed, needs more brushing and signing)

If you need any other info give me a call

Ron

Trail Update.........

"A" trail through Elk Lake is open and good condition - groomed Tuesday- rail bed section is being groomed tonight

"A107C" from Elk Lake to Gowganda is open and good condition -Groomed Monday (beauty lk rd. plowed but ok for riding)

"A107C" from Gowganda to "C" trail near Shining Tree is open and good condition - Being groomed today

"C106A" will be open by end of today ( after signage insp. is completed) - good condition , some plowed sections for logging ( Logging almost completed) . the plowed sections are ridable. - Being groomed friday night.

L136 between Gowganda and Matachewan is still closed. Groomed but needs more brushing and signing.

Happy Riding

Ron

Hey STG

Yes it will be. They are working with us much better than last year. There is plenty of snow being left on the road and no sand/gravel to date. We did a tour to Elk lake last week and the road was good. The only time we may have a problem is if there is a meltdown.

Ron

Hey STG

Yes it will be. They are working with us much better than last year. There is plenty of snow being left on the road and no sand/gravel to date. We did a tour to Elk lake last week and the road was good. The only time we may have a problem is if there is a meltdown.

Ron

Good news ! Well then, don't let it melt before we get there ! :D

Archived