Expedition - Enclosed Trailer

signfan

Will a newer expedition with the 154" long track fit insude an 11' clamshell tilt and load trailer?  Also any issues with weight on these trailers with two expeditions?  At over 700 lbs dry I could see the total weight wet getting up near that 3500 lbs mark for the single axle by the time you add in fuel, snow and the weight of the trailer itself.

It will be very very close.    If it does fit, you will be taking the windshield off for sure.    

My Backcountry 146 was pretty tight in an 11 ft Triton clam shell.

9 hours ago, signfan said:

Will a newer expedition with the 154" long track fit insude an 11' clamshell tilt and load trailer?  Also any issues with weight on these trailers with two expeditions?  At over 700 lbs dry I could see the total weight wet getting up near that 3500 lbs mark for the single axle by the time you add in fuel, snow and the weight of the trailer itself.

Shouldn’t max out trailer. Normally single axles are good for 2000 pounds of pay load. My trailer guy said they build a safety factor of 20 percent in net  pay load number too. I think mines good for 2200 pounds with 20 percent or 2000 without.  800 pounds of total safety factor, if both my speed weighed 700 pounds. Always clean out some of the snow before loading. It’s not that hard to do. 

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

houldn’t max out trailer. Normally single axles are good for 2000 pounds of pay load. My trailer guy said they build a safety factor of 20 percent in net  pay load number too. I think mines good for 2200 pounds with 20 percent or 2000 without.  800 pounds of total safety factor, if both my speed weighed 700 pounds. Always clean out some of the snow before loading. It’s not that hard to do. 

Partially true.  Single axles come in 2 flavours, 2,000 lb and 3500 lb.  Pretty sure Signfan knows this.  Mfg's plate or sticker should tell you this, or Google it.  Also check tire ratings and inflation spec's.   Always check pressures outside in the ambient they will be used in.  That temp difference can be very significant in winter.  My Lightning hybrid came with load range E tires not C.  Can't buy replacements at the big box stores like CTC or Royal D.

• Thanks 1

The Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings(GVWR) shown on the Manufacturers sticker reflects the lowest weight rating of either the chassis, suspension, wheels or tires. 

You can have a 3500 lb. rated axle, suspension and chassis but if the total capacity of either the 2 tires or wheels do not add up to 3500 lb. then the GVWR rating on the sticker reflect whatever that lower capacity is. Changing after manufacture to heavier rated tires and/or wheels will not legally change the rating that the sticker shows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really wouldnt be concerned about the payload even if you are close to the published max.    Just make sure you have good tires that are properly inflated and your bearings are well serviced.  

I think the length is your bigger concern.    

Trailer manufacturers will also down rate the capacity of a trailer to avoid adding trailer brakes.

Any trailer in Canada GVWR 3,000 lbs or higher requires trailer brakes.

It is possible to have a 3,500lbs axle on a trailer that is down rated to 2,990lbs.  You should check your trailer spec from manufacturer or your build sheet if you have one.  My open ATV trailer has the 3,500lbs axle but is rated for 2,990lbs to avoid adding brakes.  At least that was the sales pitch!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

It is possible to have a 3,500lbs axle on a trailer that is down rated to 2,990lbs.  You should check your trailer spec from manufacturer

Yes indeed, my trailer with 3500 lb axle is rated at 2990 max.  After discounting actual trailer weight, name plate spec's max cargo load of 1885 lbs (your results may differ).

On 6/8/2023 at 8:14 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Changing after manufacture to heavier rated tires and/or wheels will not legally change the rating that the sticker shows. 

Absolutely agree.  My point was the trailer came with 205/65-10 (fat donuts) Load range E = 1650 lbs capacity per tire, 3300 lbs total.  Well above trailer rating.  But a standard tire of that size from big box shops is Load range C = 1105 lbs each, total capacity only 2210 lbs.  

• Like 1