Quebec Permit Prices.

scottyr

$440 to buy one early this year.   Ouch.    

Has anyone heard what the OFSC is talking about for next season?

Image 2023-06-04 at 12.17 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

Ontario historically sets prices in the fall.

https://www.ofsc.on.ca/2022/09/29/ontario-snowmobile-trail-permit-fee-increase/

Thanks for the Quebec update.  Found their trails hit or miss ( and when they're moguls, it's bumpy for miles and miles). Not a one off - spoke to riders in northern Ontario with broken mirrors. Pourqoui? I asked. Quebec trails shook them to pieces. They still go back. Diehards. Sticking to Ontario myself. 

And hey, there's a stretch north of our cottage ( between Six Mile Lake and Bala...hydro line ) that was historically bad. Same thing, moguls, tough returning Sunday night. Not saying one is better than the other. It's just nice knowing what to expect - Ontario offers me that.

$35 increase.  Quite a bit.  If you get out and ride its still the cheapest part.  Only seems expensive if they sit in the garage and don't move.  Ontario will be going up for sure.  No word yet on how much.  

2 hours ago, ecarnell said:

What is / if any, liability insurance back if purchasing a yearly pass this year ? ($37.49?)

Typically around $40 yes.  Buy the permit with insurance.  Then go on the insurers website and claim your refunds.  Cheque will arrive in a months time.  You get it all back this way.  If you select no insurance when buying they charge an admin fee of like $20.  So you lose half the refund.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, signfan said:

$35 increase.  Quite a bit.  If you get out and ride its still the cheapest part.  Only seems expensive if they sit in the garage and don't move.  Ontario will be going up for sure.  No word yet on how much.  

Shouldn’t go up too much. Died diesel is way down about 1.05 Litre on my last fill.  Road diesel approx 50 cents more now. I seen some pictures of Cochrane groomer filling up with road diesel. Not sure if that’s a common practise but ofsc could save 1/3 off it’s fuel bill by using coloured diesel. 

57 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Shouldn’t go up too much. Died diesel is way down about 1.05 Litre on my last fill.  Road diesel approx 50 cents more now. I seen some pictures of Cochrane groomer filling up with road diesel. Not sure if that’s a common practise but ofsc could save 1/3 off it’s fuel bill by using coloured diesel. 

Pretty certain all Ontario groomers use only coloured fuel when available. I know ours have used coloured fuel since it was first made available.

Groomers don't use fuel in the summer so current prices mean didely squat.

Great deal if you're a Quebec resident as it includes liability does it not?

18 hours ago, ecarnell said:

What is / if any, liability insurance back if purchasing a yearly pass this year ? ($37.49?)

Its around that much.    I never got mine back last year.    Called 2-3x and they said that it was claimed but I never got the cheque. 

• Sad 2

I have bought 2 permits lately, and if Ontario went to $230 and Quebec went to $440 ($670 total), that "may" be the tipping point for me to buy both Ontario and Quebec.   The crazy part is that I rode less than 80kms in Ontario last season so just buying the Quebec permit may not sound as crazy as one might think??

15 hours ago, scottyr said:

Its around that much.    I never got mine back last year.    Called 2-3x and they said that it was claimed but I never got the cheque. 

Did you ask if they could check to see if payment was issued?  "Claimed"  to me at least, means your request for refund was made but not that it was processed or paid.  The last time we claimed the refund (pre Covid) I thought the refund was $46 and change.

12 hours ago, scottyr said:

I have bought 2 permits lately, and if Ontario went to $230 and Quebec went to $440 ($670 total), that "may" be the tipping point for me to buy both Ontario and Quebec.   The crazy part is that I rode less than 80kms in Ontario last season so just buying the Quebec permit may not sound as crazy as one might think??

Go ahead just buy Quebec permit. That ensure your small town gets snowed in for days like 80’s. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2023 at 9:20 PM, scottyr said:

Really. I just put 120 liters in my pick up, over 200 bucks, good for a few days.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:42 AM, signfan said:

Typically around $40 yes.  Buy the permit with insurance.  Then go on the insurers website and claim your refunds.  Cheque will arrive in a months time.  You get it all back this way.  If you select no insurance when buying they charge an admin fee of like $20.  So you lose half the refund.

Does your liability from your OAP not extend to Quebec?

16 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Time to order an electric 😆
You are like me don’t drive that pickup every day since you are in big truck half the time I assume. 

Ya, I drive it about 18k per year. My issue is I like to run it in sports mode instead of eco. I do not really care about fuel economy. In regards to trail pass cost, ride the sled 250kms at 16l per 100 40 liters of fuel at 1.80 is 72 bucks in fuel per day, add in a 30 dollar lunch and you are at 100 bucks to ride per day, ride 10 days and that makes the pass 25% of the cost to ride, never mind travel maintenance and depreciation on the sled plus loss of capital gain off the money spent on the trailer and sled. most likley the total cost of the permit is less than 8% of the total cost to sled. in the big picture, 500 bucks for an ofsc pass would be just fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zoso said:

Ya, I drive it about 18k per year. My issue is I like to run it in sports mode instead of eco. I do not really care about fuel economy. In regards to trail pass cost, ride the sled 250kms at 16l per 100 40 liters of fuel at 1.80 is 72 bucks in fuel per day, add in a 30 dollar lunch and you are at 100 bucks to ride per day, ride 10 days and that makes the pass 25% of the cost to ride, never mind travel maintenance and depreciation on the sled plus loss of capital gain off the money spent on the trailer and sled. most likley the total cost of the permit is less than 8% of the total cost to sled. in the big picture, 500 bucks for an ofsc pass would be just fine.

Not complaing about pass cost. It is what it is. Have to support something you enjoy whether you use it or not. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Got two Cheques for $37.49 each back for Quebec permits (insurance) in the mail tonight - and we are still waiting for the Quebec trail passes to arrive at the house!

(Ordered Nov 6th, and submitted for rebate that same day)

• Like 5