Pickerel Lake Lodge for sale again in the Almaguin Highlands

Sledguy74

remember when this place was a real hot spot for sledders back in the 80s and 90s

looks a little run down these days 

For sale: 2159 PICKEREL/JACK LAKE Road, Burk's Falls, Ontario P0A1C0 - 40400592 | REALTOR.ca

• Like 3

Wow, that looks a bit over the top for fishermen and motor-sports enthusiasts?

Even family summer vacations with a bunch of screaming bratts dragging sand all inside?

On 5/9/2023 at 3:09 PM, Sledguy74 said:

remember when this place was a real hot spot for sledders back in the 80s and 90s

looks a little run down these days 

For sale: 2159 PICKEREL/JACK LAKE Road, Burk's Falls, Ontario P0A1C0 - 40400592 | REALTOR.ca

My parents used to take us there sledding in the early 80's before we had a place of our own. We'd drag the two John Deere's up there and ride a few days each winter. 

Good times!

I had a t-shirt from there about Jackalope's - would wear it to school and people were so confused :)

Anyway, was a great place and great area for us for many years, brings back some great memories.

• Like 5

Lots of snow ( historically  ) in that area. Many early starts there in years past. 

Katrine, Sundridge, etc. 

Nice memories of the area .

• 3 weeks later...

I remember our last stay there mid 90’s I think.  After supper, I was asked if I wanted a post dinner drink and I responded “yes”, a rusty nail please.  After some time passed, the waiter came back and asked how to make a rusty nail and I gave him the products and suggested quantities.  After a while, he came back to the table carrying a bottle of scotch, a bottle of drambuie and a glass and said, “ do you mind mixing it yourself ?”   Graciously, I agreed and I don’t remember a lot of the rest of that night. 

• Haha 7

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wildbill said:

It was a great stop in the day. Hard to find buyers willing to work hard enough to make it work 

Exactly Bill. Only recent immigrants seem to want to buy food and tourist businesses these days. They seem to have the work ethic and sizeable families to split the work up. I hope your battle is heading in a winning direction Bill.

... and government grants to finance it?

Basic case of "other people's money"?

Bristol in Wawa as an example?

• 7 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 6:27 PM, SlowTouringGuy said:

I remember our last stay there mid 90’s I think.  After supper, I was asked if I wanted a post dinner drink and I responded “yes”, a rusty nail please.  After some time passed, the waiter came back and asked how to make a rusty nail and I gave him the products and suggested quantities.  After a while, he came back to the table carrying a bottle of scotch, a bottle of drambuie and a glass and said, “ do you mind mixing it yourself ?”   Graciously, I agreed and I don’t remember a lot of the rest of that night. 

That was my aunt and uncle’s place. From ‘75 until oh god, idk, 2009 or something. Dale was the cook and they only ever had like one or two people working. It was likely Dale who served you lol. I wish someone would buy that and fix it up into the lodge again. They sold it and some other people took it over, then I guess was sold and turned into a wellness retreat, now is trashed. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 000000 said:

That was my aunt and uncle’s place. From ‘75 until oh god, idk, 2009 or something. Dale was the cook and they only ever had like one or two people working. It was likely Dale who served you lol. I wish someone would buy that and fix it up into the lodge again. They sold it and some other people took it over, then I guess was sold and turned into a wellness retreat, now is trashed. 

That was one of the first places my parents started staying at in the 70's and early 80's when they went snowmobiling.

Were your aunt and uncle from southern Ontario by chance?

For some reason - I feel like that connection is how my parents came to know of the place

19 minutes ago, whits-end said:

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

That was one of the first places my parents started staying at in the 70's and early 80's when they went snowmobiling.

Were your aunt and uncle from southern Ontario by chance?

For some reason - I feel like that connection is how my parents came to know of the place

They weren’t from Woodstock (surrounding area, yes but I’d rather not disclose) but yes, southern Ontario while I believe my uncle was originally from Austria! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 000000 said:

my uncle was originally from Austria! 

Harold and Marion.  Our daughter worked summers for them during high school, mid 90's.

It had sat empty during the 60's and re-opened early 70's, purchased by a group of investors from Woodstock (and/or area).  Only one I remember was Barney the Chiropractor).   Al (former Woodstock Cop) and Dianne Symons ran it until Harold took over in the 80's.  Al, along with Big Bob Smith who owned Edgewater, established the '300 series'  trail system, and the 'Knights of Armour Snowmobile and Ski Club'.  I was at the inaugural meeting at the Lodge.  Groomed trails, what a concept!  Believe that was about '72.

Sad to see the property go downhill like it has.  Main building is prolly not worth saving.  Half the rental units burnt down.  Just sad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, whits-end said:

Harold and Marion.  Our daughter worked summers for them during high school, mid 90's.

It had sat empty during the 60's and re-opened early 70's, purchased by a group of investors from Woodstock (and/or area).  Only one I remember was Barney the Chiropractor).   Al (former Woodstock Cop) and Dianne Symons ran it until Harold took over in the 80's.  Al, along with Big Bob Smith who owned Edgewater, established the '300 series'  trail system, and the 'Knights of Armour Snowmobile and Ski Club'.  I was at the inaugural meeting at the Lodge.  Groomed trails, what a concept!  Believe that was about '72.

Sad to see the property go downhill like it has.  Main building is prolly not worth saving.  Half the rental units burnt down.  Just sad.

Yes! That is my great aunt and late uncle. I didn’t want to post their names on a forum so I refrained from saying anything. I haven’t been there since they sold it and I was younger. Harold passed away some time ago.. my entire childhood was up there. That makes me super sad. So many good memories. I wonder if we ever crossed paths, or any of my family. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 000000 said:

Yes! That is my great aunt and late uncle. I didn’t want to post their names on a forum so I refrained from saying anything. I haven’t been there since they sold it and I was younger. Harold passed away some time ago.. my entire childhood was up there. That makes me super sad. So many good memories. I wonder if we ever crossed paths, or any of my family. 

Such a small world, honestly! 

On 1/29/2024 at 2:51 PM, whits-end said:

Checked in - our neighbor rode sleds and was an x police officer - and went there via a connection to Al ( x police officer ) - so that is how we found our way to going there for sledding adventures.

On 1/30/2024 at 4:02 PM, Spiderman said:

Checked in - our neighbor rode sleds and was an x police officer - and went there via a connection to Al ( x police officer ) - so that is how we found our way to going there for sledding adventures.

I guess Al was likely the owner before Mar and Harold! I was not alive then lol. Still so crazy everyone loved this place like I did. I went down a rabbit hole about it. We were talking about it at dinner the other day and this is how I stumbled on this forum. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 000000 said:

I guess Al was likely the owner before Mar and Harold! I was not alive then lol. Still so crazy everyone loved this place like I did. I went down a rabbit hole about it. We were talking about it at dinner the other day and this is how I stumbled on this forum. 

It's in a box somewhere - but I have a Pickerel Lake Lodge t-shirt somewhere with a Jackalope on it - and the gun with the bend in it to shoot them as they would only approach you from behind......:)

I would wear that to school as a kid and people had no clue WTF it was all about.

Good times.

My parents loved riding up there - those trails way back were the cream of the crop

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:01 PM, whits-end said:

Al Symons was all about the Jackalope.  There was a 'real' one mounted on the wall, and the 'Jumpin Jackalope' was a feature drink in the Cellar Lounge downstairs.

I remember the wall mounted one - it was still there the last time we stopped in there for gas many years ago.

• 2 weeks later...