OFF SITE STORAGE INSURANCE

As an FYI, I found out earlier this year that my insurance company requires that I let them know if I have anything insured through them stored at an off site location. My boat is stored at an indoor cold storage facility. My insurance company requires the exact location, type of building, security features as well as fire suppression features and a few other questions. They charge me an extra $29.00 per year for the off site coverage. 

I'm mentioning this as I am sure that there are many like me that might not realize this notification is required by some insurance companies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe there was a post about this last summer, where someone had  a  boat or trailer stored at a neighbours house near Ottawa when the derecho came , and things didnt go very "neighbourly" between the two after that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, signfan said:

Shame on the insurance companies really.  If I'm paying to insure my toy why should it matter where I'm storing it.  They're always looking for an out.

Totally agree but I'd rather be sure I have the coverage. It 's really too bad my insurance agent didn't ask me about storage because he knows I have a boat.

Are you supposed to tell them everytime you move it? My sled is in several difference places during the year.

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Are you supposed to tell them everytime you move it? My sled is in several difference places during the year.

Better ask your agent.

13 hours ago, Hoosier said:

No, read the policy.

trailers too require a separate policy. Its cheap but sneaky on their behalf. Home owners nor auto covers them if your whole rig is stolen or destroyed. All perils is the best way to go if its affordable, no worries

50 minutes ago, crispy said:

trailers too require a separate policy. Its cheap but sneaky on their behalf. Home owners nor auto covers them if your whole rig is stolen or destroyed. All perils is the best way to go if its affordable, no worries

Its not sneaky at all - if you have a broker - tell them what you have and they will get you the proper insurance. 

If you don't have a broker - read your policy - understand the coverages, and govern yourself accordingly.

7 hours ago, crispy said:

why would an insurance company pay for something, they dont know you have, and havent collected a premium for insuring it? it isnt covered by your home owners, when stored, and not covered by your auto insurance just because it is hooked to your car, truck, suv, space shuttle.

think about if you were the insurance company, just for a minute. would you pay someone for their trailer, boat, sleds, atv, if you didnt know they had them, and hadn't collected a premium for the the unit on the policy, they are claiming a loss on? Didn't think so.

I am not pro big insurance, costs, or ways out of claims by any means but, you have to have some common sense and business sense, to understand this situation. Ski 

I really don't think that "common" sense is going to git'chew too far these days.

Have you talked to many average folk lately?

• Haha 1