Shipping a sled out west

Puggz

I have someone from Saskatchewan interested in my '17 Cat ZR6000 RS edition and we're looking for shipping options.  He checked Manitoulin transport and they're asking about $1100.  Do any of your guys/gals have any ideas?

TIA<

Patrick.

37 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I looked into shipping a Harley out to Edmonton and it was a 1000. so seems right

Do you recall the name of the shipper?

Mackie’s out of Oshawa have a motorcycle shipping program. Would check it them

I ship product out to Calgary on a livestock trailer . Trailer was going out empty cost 200 $. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Great deal, but buyer might bail when trailer arrives. Those things stink real bad. I got behind one on ferry to msnitoulin a few years ago 😂

Empty trailers don't smell.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Great deal, but buyer might bail when trailer arrives. Those things stink real bad. I got behind one on ferry to msnitoulin a few years ago 😂

Again, Mr. Negativity 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Patrick, you could try uship.com.   This is an online brokerage service.  You list your item, destination and pickup addresses; shippers who can handle your load will quote you pricing.  My son had his Harley shipped out west using this service and it worked out fine.

FWIW I got quotes using uship to move a sled from PQ to here,  they were in the range of $800 so I don't think $1100 out to Saskatchewan is out of line.

• Like 2

I've tried Uship in the past. Your best rates will be found by calling around and asking different trucking companies.

As Coldfinger suggested with livestock haulers, you need to find a truck that goes west empty most of the time.

Several years ago I needed a load hauled up from South Carolina. Uship quotes started at $3500, after a few days it was down to $2000 then after a week it was at $1500. I started calling local freight companies and found a company that would do it for $1200. Turned out they had a truck sitting in Georgia waiting for a load to bring back.

l called around long before l needed to ship.  The trailer had 3 golf carts  and skid of B B Q s  on board plus my chairs . So this trucker had a good arrangement for himself . Oh and the trailer didn't stink , however l was not going to eat off the floor .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, coldfinger said:

l called around long before l needed to ship.  The trailer had 3 golf carts  and skid of B B Q s  on board plus my chairs . So this trucker had a good arrangement for himself . Oh and the trailer didn't stink , however l was not going to eat off the floor .

Haha... Honestly you probably could. My buddy has a shop on a property that long haul live stock truckers work from. They have a building set up as a wash bay for the trucks and trailers. There is a whole big procedure that they have to adhere to so they avoid cross contamination. Cleaning, compose, containment tanks, wash, sanitize and sterilize. Those trailers are probably cleaner than my kitchen floor. 5 second rule still in use here......🤪

Puggz, I will ask if any would take a sled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Haha... Honestly you probably could. My buddy has a shop on a property that long haul live stock truckers work from. They have a building set up as a wash bay for the trucks and trailers. There is a whole big procedure that they have to adhere to so they avoid cross contamination. Cleaning, compose, containment tanks, wash, sanitize and sterilize. Those trailers are probably cleaner than my kitchen floor. 5 second rule still in use here......🤪

Puggz, I will ask if any would take a sled.

Great!! Thank you :)

Try Brian Kurtz trucking in Breslau.  The issue is that you will need somewhere to unload with a dock.    

That being said, the $1000 rate sounds about right.    5 years ago it would have been $400-500.

• Like 1

Friend of a friend shipped sled out west and ended up going with manitoulin and was happy with the service. 

Years ago, I was using freightcom to import ski shop machinery from the states.  The first one I brought in was by using uship, but after freightcom won the bid, I opened an account with them directly bypassing uship for the subsequent loads.  

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 7:19 PM, coldfinger said:

Livestock trailers are probably the most washed trucks in the industry..  I have one come here every week, never shows up dirty, and almost all loads are the same.  One load, and then a wash, another load, then a wash.  Costs me $5000 a year to have the trucking company wash before they come, but biosecurity makes that the cheapest expense around.

Friends of ours used Hutton Transport out of Paisley to move their house when they moved from Ontario to Alberta 6 or 7 years ago.  Loaded all there clothes and furniture in it, and got there a day or two after they did.  Some of those guys trailers will haul freight out to Home Hardware from St Jacobs, to Wetaskiwin Alberta on a regular basis, and then move the floors around as needed, and then cattle home.  Wash , rinse Repeat, just like shampooing your hair.

• Like 6