Tow vehicle

Xfirecat

Does anyone use a 6 cyl Toyota or Lexus SUV as a tow vehicle? Anything to consider?

Depends what you are towing.    Those mid sized SUVs often have motors that produce great power but the transmission ratios are all about fuel mileage.   

• Like 1

Hmm I am towing a 716, so 3000 lbs max. I have a 350 hp pickup truck now but looking for options. This trailer doesn’t have electric brakes but I could add them if necessary. 3000 lbs wears out the front brakes on a lot of vehicles if you aren’t careful but front brakes aren’t expensive if you don’t use the stealership. 

• Like 1

We have the Highlander with the 3.5 V6 towes our Triton TC167 and sleds great. Fuel economy of around 20 litres per 100km. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Xfirecat said:

Does anyone use a 6 cyl Toyota or Lexus SUV as a tow vehicle? Anything to consider?

Most would be suitable for towing. I see if you could add a tow package from factory though or take one from lot that has a tow package. No tow package I pick a different vehicle. 
Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

We have the Highlander with the 3.5 V6 towes our Triton TC167 and sleds great. Fuel economy of around 20 litres per 100km. 

Highlander better tower than the Tacoma? Ski

16 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Highlander better tower than the Tacoma? Ski

It has the 8 speed transmission and I’d say yes, much more comfortable ridie. But totally different handling. No regrets switching 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, Xfirecat said:

Not quite the same but I towed a 17' glass fishing boat (~3000 lbs w/fuel and gear) with an Audi Q5 for several years.  It has a 4400lb capacity and the trailer did NOT have brakes.  I'm not sure of that trailer model but something like Nunz is running is designed to be towed behind a mid sized truck/SUV.

Seems like you're a toyota guy but you may want to check out the GM mid sized p/u with the 4 cyl. diesel.  I believe that you can get it with a factory electric brake controller and a tow pkg that gives you a slightly better diff ratio and additional cooling.  Just took a peek and they have an all-new model for '23 that looks sweet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Not quite the same but I towed a 17' glass fishing boat (~3000 lbs w/fuel and gear) with an Audi Q5 for several years.  It has a 4400lb capacity and the trailer did NOT have brakes.  I'm not sure of that trailer model but something like Nunz is running is designed to be towed behind a mid sized truck/SUV.

Seems like you're a toyota guy but you may want to check out the GM mid sized p/u with the 4 cyl. diesel.  I believe that you can get it with a factory electric brake controller and a tow pkg that gives you a slightly better diff ratio and additional cooling.  Just took a peek and they have an all-new model for '23 that looks sweet.

Those trucks are sweet. Not sure about diesel or better to get 5.3 gas engine. Diesel pretty pricey now, add in def and some additional maintaince for system. 

30 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Those trucks are sweet. Not sure about diesel or better to get 5.3 gas engine. Diesel pretty pricey now, add in def and some additional maintaince for system. 

The Canyon/Colorado gas engine is a 2.7 turbo. True about diesel, I have a 22 AT4 with the 3.0 ltr diesel and I get around 17 ltrs/100 km towing a 24' enclosed and 10 not towing. I still think it pays off because the only other option I'd have would be the 6.2 which requires premium gas.  These numbers go out the window if its windy..lol.

I lease a new one every 2 yrs so I'm not so concerned with long term mtce etc.

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

3.0 litre engine is cheaper to buy then the 6.2 litre  gas engine   

And economy is way better  

And resale is way better   

• Thanks 1