My season is over

soupkids

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

How did he get it out of there? 

He was fortunate to be close to highway 11. Ran on one cylinder when cooled down and with a few stop starts made it to the highway. 

50 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I seen your ad. Very fair pricing.

Ive been watching ads for a month. Also got a quote from the dealer.

Some of these people are asking the same for a 2 year old sled as it is to buy new.

Those are the ones not selling, unless they adjust the price appropriately. My riding buddy paid $2500 less than asking price on used Doo three weeks ago. Seller realized that he was getting out of sledding and didn't want to store the sled until next fall. Buddy's offer was the only one he had in two weeks on Kijiji. Ergo, sold.

The worst beating happens with the 800/850 2 strokes. Like smoking, I am glad I never took those up.

There are at least two ways of advertising in play - Scott's fair price listing and hold firm, and the dreamer's 'aim for the sky' and see what you can get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1049 said:

Last year I was able to move our 850s $2600 and 2900 the sale went though the dealership so I only payed the tax on the difference. If I can move them this year for 3500 I will be happy 6000 Km don’t help .

No offense, but I wouldn't touch your 850 with 6000 kms in one season......   :cheers:

I want something with less than 1500kms/year. My 2015 Cat has 7000kms. I may just end up buying new.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No offense, but I wouldn't touch your 850 with 6000 kms in one season......   :cheers:

I want something with less than 1500kms/year. My 2015 Cat has 7000kms. I may just end up buying new.

Lol me ether 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I agree. My 2017 has 6200 km’s now. I trade it before 10,000 km’s. Then I don’t have to do a track, clutch, drive bearings, shocks etc. Even 4 strokes it don’t pay to keep them past 10,000 km’s unless you like wrenching on them, yourself. 

17 hours ago, scottyr said:

I run it through my company.    I do have to charge HST when I sell it though.  

Its all above board.    Nothing shady about it.  

How are you putting it thru a real estate company! Are you using it as a customer perk too? 
just wondering! 

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I agree. My 2017 has 6200 km’s now. I trade it before 10,000 km’s. Then I don’t have to do a track, clutch, drive bearings, shocks etc. Even 4 strokes it don’t pay to keep them past 10,000 km’s unless you like wrenching on them, yourself. 

Hard lesson learned for me.    16,000Kms on my 900Ace.    Motor has been great, but I've spent quite a bit....shocks, bushings, primary rebuild, skis, idler bearings.....now at the end of the season.....both jack and drive shaft bearings, rebuild secondary, fuel sock, fuel filter.    Much of what I've spent is in prevention rather than waiting for a breakdown.

Funny part is I'm still running the original belt.

On the other hand with the upgrades to suspension and skis has made this a great ride

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

Hard lesson learned for me.    16,000Kms on my 900Ace.    Motor has been great, but I've spent quite a bit....shocks, bushings, primary rebuild, skis, idler bearings.....now at the end of the season.....both jack and drive shaft bearings, rebuild secondary, fuel sock, fuel filter.    Much of what I've spent is in prevention rather than waiting for a breakdown.

On the other hand with the upgrades to suspension and skis has made this a great ride

Did bearings go you or just changed them when you did a track?  Water sometimes gets into drive bearing opposite chain case side, from running in the snow I find. Chain case side usually lasts forever and Jack shaft gets hotter so, it next one to fail  usually. 

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I agree. I'm seeing 4 strokes for sale with descriptions like "near new condition" or "Mint". Then I go looking for kms (which it seems very few put in the typed section, its often in the pictures) and they have 10k kms or more. Geees, it may be nice and shiny on the outside but there are parts that are going to need replacing no matter how well its been maintained.

18 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

There comes a point where you are throwing too much money at the unit though - which does nothing for its value to anyone but you.

I hit  point where I would rather put that $$ to a new unit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I agree. I'm seeing 4 strokes for sale with descriptions like "near new condition" or "Mint". Then I go looking for kms (which it seems very few put in the typed section, its often in the pictures) and they have 10k kms or more. Geees, it may be nice and shiny on the outside but there are parts that are going to need replacing no matter how well its been maintained.

100% - parts wear out - its only a matter of time

1 minute ago, Spiderman said:

There comes a point where you are throwing too much money at the unit though - which does nothing for its value to anyone but you.

I hit  point where I would rather put that $$ to a new unit.

That’s problem value of machine doesn’t change as you put new parts on it. Around 5000 miles or 8000 km’s seems to be a sweet spot to sell a snowmobile. 

31 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s problem value of machine doesn’t change as you put new parts on it. Around 5000 miles or 8000 km’s seems to be a sweet spot to sell a snowmobile. 

Back when I had money and no kids - I traded every year - two at most - just to keep mileage reasonable and not have to spend any money other than on carbides or small wear items.

These days - it's much different - but my Cat ( knock on wood ) has cost me very little - but also used very little.

If I buy another it will be for a great deal. and then off it the next year. I usually only go a year or two and then off it goes. It only cost me less than 2k to ride for two years.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Back when I had money and no kids - I traded every year - two at most - just to keep mileage reasonable and not have to spend any money other than on carbides or small wear items.

These days - it's much different - but my Cat ( knock on wood ) has cost me very little - but also used very little.

Nice you are in same boat as me. Managed 225 km’s on my own property this year. That’s it. Maybe next year. My son is only 13 months.    Be while before he gets his own snowmobile if there is still snow in 11 years. 

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Did bearings go you or just changed them when you did a track?  Water sometimes gets into drive bearing opposite chain case side, from running in the snow I find. Chain case side usually lasts forever and Jack shaft gets hotter so, it next one to fail  usually. 

Can't say that I have ever had much issue with those as - they normally have a grease zerk on those, but I don't think that I ever found one there on the G4?

7 minutes ago, Ox said:

Can't say that I have ever had much issue with those as - they normally have a grease zerk on those, but I don't think that I ever found one there on the G4?

Skidoo eliminated them along time ago. Rev they eliminated them I believe. My xs skidoo has two grease fittings in skid only. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

How are you putting it thru a real estate company! Are you using it as a customer perk too? 
just wondering! 

Not a chance that I push it through that company.   That being said, my sled trailer is owned by my RE Corp as it is available for "customer use".   

I just started another company and got an HST # for recreational vehicle sales.    I buy and sell 8-12 units every year so it is a legit business and I pay income tax on any profit earned.    You may or may not know that I was in that business full time for almost 20years.   It is now just a hobby that helps pay for my toys.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Not a chance that I push it through that company.   That being said, my sled trailer is owned by my RE Corp as it is available for "customer use".   

I just started another company and got an HST # for recreational vehicle sales.    I buy and sell 8-12 units every year so it is a legit business and I pay income tax on any profit earned.    You may or may not know that I was in that business full time for almost 20years.   It is now just a hobby that helps pay for my toys.  

I see. How do you get insurance when you put units into your companies name. Many insures won’t touch toys that are used commercially like td?  Had that problem with my farm atv 😂

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Didnt your family have skidoo dealership in stratford back in the day ?

26 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I see. How do you get insurance when you put units into your companies name. Many insures won’t touch toys that are used commercially like td?  Had that problem with my farm atv 😂

TD are direct writers - and likely do not write much in the way of commercial. This is a situation where your relationship with a good broker helps. 

1 hour ago, wrightonalan said:

Didnt your family have skidoo dealership in stratford back in the day ?

No.   That was not me.    My dad and I had a car dealership called Ross Rocher Sales, that sold a lot of cool stuff.    In our hay day I was bringing Bass Boats up from the USA in the summer, selling 100-120 used sleds every fall and then moved onto importing Husqvarna and Gas Gas motorcycles into Canada.    It was lots of fun.   We sold the property in 2012 to Loblaws to build a No Frills and my dad retired.    I am a Realtor now but still dabble in that stuff as a hobby.    

• Like 4

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

No.   That was not me.    My dad and I had a car dealership called Ross Rocher Sales, that sold a lot of cool stuff.    In our hay day I was bringing Bass Boats up from the USA in the summer, selling 100-120 used sleds every fall and then moved onto importing Husqvarna and Gas Gas motorcycles into Canada.    It was lots of fun.   We sold the property in 2012 to Loblaws to build a No Frills and my dad retired.    I am a Realtor now but still dabble in that stuff as a hobby.    

84E140C9-F2D5-49A6-B477-0A559008A68F.thumb.jpeg.ad01ec093f24a852233d1f82064a8c5c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

84E140C9-F2D5-49A6-B477-0A559008A68F.thumb.jpeg.ad01ec093f24a852233d1f82064a8c5c.jpeg

haha.   yep.   that was me.