North Bay

Baylaker

Just wondering what the current conditions are like in north bay right now. The wife and I are thinking about our last ride of the season this coming weekend and weather looks good for the weekend also.

if anyone has any info on current riding conditions, that would be great! These are the day rides we’d be considering. Thanks guys!

89635192-759C-418C-86CA-8810491B6659.thumb.jpeg.9b8bb0f374d7f280fd55fddc4d0b25b2.jpeg60C8BBA9-CB2D-4055-9C34-1EE6BE9BE2AD.thumb.jpeg.681415e4728aff3bca24d6a19e667c2c.jpegB9E348D1-5E2E-45C7-97D1-6700CF1216BD.thumb.jpeg.ed035b7fef78b9ad64a24053eb2cd548.jpeg

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Just wondering what the current conditions are like in north bay right now. The wife and I are thinking about our last ride of the season this coming weekend and weather looks good for the weekend also.

if anyone has any info on current riding conditions, that would be great! These are the day rides we’d be considering. Thanks guys!

89635192-759C-418C-86CA-8810491B6659.thumb.jpeg.9b8bb0f374d7f280fd55fddc4d0b25b2.jpeg60C8BBA9-CB2D-4055-9C34-1EE6BE9BE2AD.thumb.jpeg.681415e4728aff3bca24d6a19e667c2c.jpegB9E348D1-5E2E-45C7-97D1-6700CF1216BD.thumb.jpeg.ed035b7fef78b9ad64a24053eb2cd548.jpeg

I can't speak for current but a few weeks ago we found the following:

-NB308 had some road running the wasn't too much fun.

-The D trail from Asterville to Trout Lake was a tough ride and especially from Hwy 17(Mr.Gas) which seems to be normal

-If your wife isn't partial to tight twisty trails she probably won't like A104D

-The Bonfield Club trails south of Lake Nosbonsing were amazing.

-Everything else we were on was awesome except the trail from the A up into Mattawa which was real bad on a Tuesday

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I can't speak for current but a few weeks ago we found the following:

-NB308 had some road running the wasn't too much fun.

-The D trail from Asterville to Trout Lake was a tough ride and especially from Hwy 17(Mr.Gas) which seems to be normal

-If your wife isn't partial to tight twisty trails she probably won't like A104D

-The Bonfield Club trails south of Lake Nosbonsing were amazing.

-Everything else we were on was awesome except the trail from the A up into Mattawa which was real bad on a Tuesday

Thanks for the info PLC. My wife is fine with riding wherever…she’s riding 2up anyways, and has no choice! Lol

• Haha 1

Last week, Mar 8-10, we rode a lot of what you have planned. We staged out of the Dinner Bell in Bonfield to avoid the NB trails close to the city. The trails in general were very good but the closer to NB we got the worse the trails were. I see that you plan to use the D trail south of Trout Lake on two days. I would avoid that if at all possible. As PLC advised, this 20 km stretch of 'trail' south to west end of Lake Nosbonsing is in serious need of snow. Like a dummy, I had forgotten how bad that long stretch can get in low snow conditions. I had told myself 5 years ago that I would only ever ride that section of trail after a snowfall. There were 6-8 km of bare paved road/ gravel shoulder to ride. I learned last time to just get up on the pavement and ride at speed rather than grind it out on the shoulder. It's over faster that way - less sled wear. PLC also warned of NB308. A portion of it was great, but last week the log haul was very active and portions of the road was ploughed down to ice/gravel mix. In other parts of Ontario those two trails would have been red. We need the fourth colour (purple works) to indicate ploughed trails without snow.

We met several sledders who were staying in NB, but after one day in and out from the strip, they decided to trailer out of town for their loops. Favourite parking was the one on highway 11 where the AD trail crossed. It's a very large lot right off the main trail.

Trails further west were excellent last week in the Field, Verner, Hagar, River Valley area, with the exception of the road trail through Warren, which can be avoided on local trails.

I just see that the weather forecast is a bummer for the start of the weekend. I stay positive though, by always driving the shortest distance to good conditions.

Good luck, whatever you decide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tricky said:

Last week, Mar 8-10, we rode a lot of what you have planned. We staged out of the Dinner Bell in Bonfield to avoid the NB trails close to the city. The trails in general were very good but the closer to NB we got the worse the trails were. I see that you plan to use the D trail south of Trout Lake on two days. I would avoid that if at all possible. As PLC advised, this 20 km stretch of 'trail' south to west end of Lake Nosbonsing is in serious need of snow. Like a dummy, I had forgotten how bad that long stretch can get in low snow conditions. I had told myself 5 years ago that I would only ever ride that section of trail after a snowfall. There were 6-8 km of bare paved road/ gravel shoulder to ride. I learned last time to just get up on the pavement and ride at speed rather than grind it out on the shoulder. It's over faster that way - less sled wear. PLC also warned of NB308. A portion of it was great, but last week the log haul was very active and portions of the road was ploughed down to ice/gravel mix. In other parts of Ontario those two trails would have been red. We need the fourth colour (purple works) to indicate ploughed trails without snow.

We met several sledders who were staying in NB, but after one day in and out from the strip, they decided to trailer out of town for their loops. Favourite parking was the one on highway 11 where the AD trail crossed. It's a very large lot right off the main trail.

Trails further west were excellent last week in the Field, Verner, Hagar, River Valley area, with the exception of the road trail through Warren, which can be avoided on local trails.

I just see that the weather forecast is a bummer for the start of the weekend. I stay positive though, by always driving the shortest distance to good conditions.

Good luck, whatever you decide. 

Appreciate the report Tricky, and Thankyou! We’ve been looking at the forecast lately and trying to decide where we’re headed to. It looks like a bit of rain moving in, was supposed to be 25-35cm of snow but TWN has teased us once again unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Appreciate the report Tricky, and Thankyou! We’ve been looking at the forecast lately and trying to decide where we’re headed to. It looks like a bit of rain moving in, was supposed to be 25-35cm of snow but TWN has teased us once again unfortunately. 

Go to mattawa and ride it’s usually much better. I stay at golf and ski and no pavement that way. If river crossing is still open easy to get to trails above mattawa and avoid D. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Go to mattawa and ride it’s usually much better. I stay at golf and ski and no pavement that way. If river crossing is still open easy to get to trails above mattawa and avoid D. 

What about the 2.5 km of plowed Moosehead Road that is A112A you have to ride after you get off the river? Is it easy this time of year?

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yup. I am sure the ice crossing will still be open on A112. And Mike is always conservative when playing the 'yellow' card for Mattawa trails. Their yellow often equal NB and ML 'green'. I have been on my way to Golf and Ski, when it is lightly raining in Mattawa but snowing at Golf and Ski. If you can get in there, that is the best sledding south of 17. Head east and ride the Missing Link 197 and 195m and the North Renfrew 130 series trails. That can be 1 or 2 days of riding. another day can be A112,  BF 201 Talon Lake to A and back. 

If you can't get in at Golf and Ski, they can likely suggest other accommodations.

20 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

What about the 2.5 km of plowed Moosehead Road that is A112A you have to ride after you get off the river? Is it easy this time of year?

Good point PLC. I have found that road section to survive better than similar road trails in the spring because the township ploughs seem to leave a little snow for sleds. Maybe I have just been lucky. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Laborer said:

Looking to start just north of North Bay on Sunday. Any weather updates would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try watching this weather site for Temagami:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/temagami

This is a F/B post from the North Bay Snowmobile club 12 hours ago 🙂 (They groom the area north of North Bay)

Mother Nature looks like she’s had a change of plans 😟 We were hoping for a nice fresh dump of snow to get the trails back to nicer riding conditions but more rain & less snow now. If this happens it will change the trail conditions & likely status. We are crossing our fingers for one last time this season to keep things open.
Check ITG for up to date trail status
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Thank you for everyone’s continued support for NBSC & District 11 clubs !

I was just informed it’s raining in north bay right now and no sign of snow yet. They got a bit of snow earlier in the week, but I’m guessing the rain will be doing further damage anyways.

3 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I was just informed it’s raining in north bay right now and no sign of snow yet. They got a bit of snow earlier in the week, but I’m guessing the rain will be doing further damage anyways.

Bummer. That time of year agsin. Your ordering Polaris for 2024 again? 

Another post from North Bay Snowmobile Club 30 minutes ago:

We have moved trails to limited. We are coming close to an end of our season The rain has really effected us this time.

There will be some changes in status after we assess, no significant snow fall is coming our way unfortunately.

We will keep you posted but boy was it great season with what Mother Nature dealt us! We appreciated all the riders that visited NBSC trails & District 11 this season, our volunteers, groomer operators, local businesses, supporters & our gracio…

See more

44 minutes ago, Laborer said:

Thanks for the info!

There is a significant snow event happening north of there today and tomorrow.  In Timmins they are calling for up to 50 cm. ( 20") so trails to the north should be good for a while yet. You might want to consider driving a couple of hours further north to stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Bummer. That time of year agsin. Your ordering Polaris for 2024 again? 

Not sure yet, I really would like to get the wife another sled, but I’m thinking we won’t be spring checking.
We’ll keep our eyes peeled for some deals heading into the Fall this year instead, but she might be riding 2up again next season. When we do order, it will be a Polaris forsure though.

• Like 1