2024 polaris

wrightonalan

25 minutes ago, stoney said:

My brother has a tuned 998 to somewhere in the 275ish, it’s fast no doubt, I rode it as well and I come from cats, all 2 stroke, but I was happy to jump back on my 900. 

We rode plenty of fast QC trails and depending on the trail we were on, I’m good running max 140 to 160 in certain conditions, don’t need more personally at the top end. 
Down low, I don’t think the 998 has an advantage over the 900. 

I haven’t tried a 900 doo so can’t compare the 2, but I know forsure my viper has plenty of low to midrange grunt, it takes a while to get to top end speeds. 
I’m sure they’re close though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I haven’t tried a 900 doo so can’t compare the 2, but I know forsure my viper has plenty of low to midrange grunt, it takes a while to get to top end speeds. 

Agreed, and at that point sled set up and rider capability plays a bigger role to have any advantages. 

If you get a chance, should test ride a 900, ideally one that is decently set up. 

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

whoaaa. I’m just a working grunt. Make my living with a shovel and a wheel barrow. And I got a woman in Florida and a child in my basement I’m supporting…lol

The sled is sexy. No doubt. I looked at the specs and I’m a bit disappointed that this thing has a 33.6 litre fuel tank. Really?

That has to put fuel range well under 200 kms. It needs a new gauge package and track options. Where are the smart shocks?

Even with the disappointments, it’s still the best looking sled on snow, just like the red/white and Blue/white editions.

I seen an ad where a dealer was offering these for $24500. That helps. I haven’t made the call to my dealer for a price quote. But in the end I think I’m going back to Doo and probably lightly used.

I passed on a ‘22 Renegade X 900 R last week at $15500. 4800 kms was too high for my next ride.

Another thought thrown in to the mix. My buddy who’s been riding my back up sleds for 12 years since getting out of the sport called today to say that ride yesterday has convinced him to get back in. He’s disgusted with the prices but he’s shopping…..lol

He’s talking trips next winter since I won’t be working and neither will he. Could means big miles.

I agree the tank is small and keeps you on edge, Most I got was 226km running at a good pace from NL quality inn to Matheson where the sled died at the pumps. 

47 minutes ago, stoney said:

My brother has a tuned 998 to somewhere in the 275ish, it’s fast no doubt, I rode it as well and I come from cats, all 2 stroke, but I was happy to jump back on my 900. 

We rode plenty of fast QC trails and depending on the trail we were on, I’m good running max 140 to 160 in certain conditions, don’t need more personally at the top end. 
Down low, I don’t think the 998 has an advantage over the 900. 

Would have to disagree on your last sentence.. haha.. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WinderFab said:

I agree the tank is small and keeps you on edge, Most I got was 226km running at a good pace from NL quality inn to Matheson where the sled died at the pumps. 

Would have to disagree on your last sentence.. haha.. 

On the gas tank thing, did they change the size in the last few years?

My brother installed a PB80 clutch this past year/summer, not sure if it was that or perhaps something else, but his gas mileage improved quite a bit - last year I was putting in less consistently, this year he was by a few litres, he was getting best fuel consumption in the group, with a tune.

Over 200KM was not an issue for sure......he likely could have made the run between gas stops coming down from Chiboug with out carrying fuel, but we all carried and used it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stoney said:

My brother installed a PB80 clutch this past year/summer, not sure if it was that or perhaps something else, but his gas mileage improved quite a bit - last year I was putting in less consistently, this year he was by a few litres, he was getting best fuel consumption in the group, with a tune.

Over 200KM was not an issue for sure......he likely could have made the run between gas stops coming down from Chiboug with out carrying fuel, but we all carried and used it

The fuel tank has been that sh*ty size since the beginning.. Thanks for the info on the PB 80, been hearing good things about it.. 

8 hours ago, Baylaker said:

A good dialed in 900 will do 163 km/hr wide open. 137” track, no turbo. Did a run last week and that’s what I got. 

9DCCFFBA-FDC3-4436-9827-96A99A9CEC24.jpeg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, stoney said:

I was wondering the same. Looking at specs online, the 2 stroke cats have the 44 ltr tank. 

They're all shrinking the fuel tanks which sucks.  Doo's are a 35 liter tank.  You have to go to Polaris or an expedition to get a tank at 40 or 45 liters.  Guess they figure 75% don't need any more than 35 liters.  The 25% that do will buy fuel caddies.  Seems silly.  Shrink the tank for mass centralization and weight loss.  Then strap a fuel caddy on the back in the worst place you could add that weight from a handling perspective. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

A good dialed in 900 will do 163 km/hr wide open. 137” track, no turbo. Did a run last week and that’s what I got. 

That’s not accurate.. run with a gps and see the difference.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

I was wondering the same. Looking at specs online, the 2 stroke cats have the 44 ltr tank. 

I knew my old Cat in that same chassis had a bigger tank, just do not know if or when they changed things.

Can't see why the 4-stroke would need more room in that area of the tank to reduce its size.....maybe done for weight savings considering the engine is that much heavier:wtf:

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

As WinderFab said, Skidoo speedo is way off. My buddy that was following me on the railbed Wednesday said "how faster were you going? I seen 82 on the display." I was doing 75 tops and pulling away from you....lol

I watched a Snowtrax youtube video tonight and they said the same thing.

And all manu's lie, just some more than others..

Begs the question, Why don't they use GPS driven speedos at this point? The tech is there. Its used on Seadoos.

Because they don't want to deflate any egos....:rotflmao:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WinderFab said:

The fuel tank has been that sh*ty size since the beginning.. Thanks for the info on the PB 80, been hearing good things about it.. 

On the PB80, I think they were back ordered, if I am not mistaken he ordered end of last season and it arrive this past fall.

Only negative remark he said was it runs warmer, nothing crazy, but felt it was warmer.

Than again, the 998 in general seems to put out a lot more heat.....when he shuts his down, the amount of heat that it generate is crazy - not sure if that is from the tune or they are all like that.

The 900 with the turbo is the same, just not to the same level.  

• Like 1

My old Zuki twin turbo has a 39 litre tank. I guess that extra cylinder took away some tank space.

Its like when Yamaha changed the Vector engine to EFI and bragged that it improved fuel mileage.  Well it did except the tank lost 6 litres of capacity and the fuel range actually got shorter.

4 minutes ago, stoney said:

On the PB80, I think they were back ordered, if I am not mistaken he ordered end of last season and it arrive this past fall.

Only negative remark he said was it runs warmer, nothing crazy, but felt it was warmer.

Than again, the 998 in general seems to put out a lot more heat.....when he shuts his down, the amount of heat that it generate is crazy - not sure if that is from the tune or they are all like that.

The 900 with the turbo is the same, just not to the same level.  

With my Cat, I've noticed that the engine gets hotter when you shut it off. If its really warm and you shut it down for 5 minutes then restart, it will be balky and studder until you get rolling as the temp sensor tries to shut the motor off.

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

With my Cat, I've noticed that the engine gets hotter when you shut it off. If its really warm and you shut it down for 5 minutes then restart, it will be balky and studder until you get rolling as the temp sensor tries to shut the motor off.

That’s common. Need to open all panels up to get some air to sensors when off. Heat gets trapped and tricks sensors temporarily until you get rolling again. Off for a few hours has time to cool down and is never an issue. I have a tractor here does same thing, it’s a gas. I try to avoid shutting it off if I need it in a short period agsin. 😎

2 hours ago, WinderFab said:

That’s not accurate.. run with a gps and see the difference.. 

Shame on skidoo. Speedo should be accurate in this day of age. Others say they are off by up to 20 km/hour compared to gps. Maybe skidoo does it so people hit 10,000 km’s faster and trade back in. 

25 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, she gets heat soaked real good. 
When ignition is first turned on, temp is spiked, but once moving it comes down fast and back to normal. 
Heat works nice to heat up gloves if you place them just in front of steering post. 
I’m pretty sure with his tune you can adjust those factory thresholds though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stoney said:

but I was happy to jump back on my 900. 

That statement is why I'm having a hard time buying my next sled. I had a '15 MXZ-X 800 for a couple years while I owned the Cat and when I rode it I couldn't wait to get back on my Cat. I thought I'd like to get back on a 2 stroke but I found the lighter weight too twitchy. I like the more solid, planted feel of the Cat. Stability at speed.

Everyone likes what they like. But often what we like is what we get comfortable with. I'm sure if I rode a 900 Gade for sometime I'd get to like it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That statement is why I'm having a hard time buying my next sled. I had a '15 MXZ-X 800 for a couple years while I owned the Cat and when I rode it I couldn't wait to get back on my Cat. I thought I'd like to get back on a 2 stroke but I found the lighter weight too twitchy. I like the more solid, planted feel of the Cat. Stability at speed.

Everyone likes what they like. But often what we like is what we get comfortable with. I'm sure if I rode a 900 Gade for sometime I'd get to like it.

I’m the same, I get used to my sleds, how I set them up to my style and liking, so reluctant to switch or ride other guys sleds, like I used too. 
I’ve been nervous for a while about buying a 4 stroke for fear of not liking it, rode a 900t fews years ago and was thoroughly impressed, twitchy front end, base shocks and all….lol

Last year when I switched with my brother so he could try the 900, I felt his 998 to be far more twitchy than mine, granted his sled still needed a lot more suspension set up, but even he said after getting off my sled, it was no wonder after riding all day repeatedly I am not tired like he is, and I’m the older one…

• Like 4

I'm not happy either about the tank size on the ZR9000. Not sure if I could make 200km on a tank especially if there is any lake running. Never pushed it that far as I don't carry extra fuel.

I will say that the ZR, (and I'm sure the 900R) is a smooth, civil sled that can be run at a slow or quick pace. The power is addictive but needs to be respected. Agree with Stoney and Baylaker that 140-160km/h is all you need but it sure feels good when you can hit that 160km/h with a quick squeeze! After riding the ZR for a bit and then hopping on the Pantera 7000, I feel like I'm on a Safari 377 powerwise..lol.. It feels so anemic but I know it's not. Love the Pantera!(and the built in 4 gallon gas tank in the back)👍

It would be hard for me to give the ZR power up. I've become accustomed to it and it seems normal now.

As Blackstar says, you like what you're comfortable with, whether it's 90, 135, 160, 200, 270hp. 

Love the grunt of four strokes. Love the lightness and flickability of the two strokes. Tough call.

I'm sure Nunz is thrilled about all this YamaCat/Doo talk in the 2024 Polaris thread...lol..

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, yamadan700 said:

I'm not happy either about the tank size on the ZR9000. Not sure if I could make 200km on a tank especially if there is any lake running. Never pushed it that far as I don't carry extra fuel.

I will say that the ZR, (and I'm sure the 900R) is a smooth, civil sled that can be run at a slow or quick pace. The power is addictive but needs to be respected. Agree with Stoney and Baylaker that 140-160km/h is all you need but it sure feels good when you can hit that 160km/h with a quick squeeze! After riding the ZR for a bit and then hopping on the Pantera 7000, I feel like I'm on a Safari 377 powerwise..lol.. It feels so anemic but I know it's not. Love the Pantera!(and the built in 4 gallon gas tank in the back)👍

It would be hard for me to give the ZR power up. I've become accustomed to it and it seems normal now.

As Blackstar says, you like what you're comfortable with, whether it's 90, 135, 160, 200, 270hp. 

Love the grunt of four strokes. Love the lightness and flickability of the two strokes. Tough call.

I'm sure Nunz is thrilled about all this YamaCat/Doo talk in the 2024 Polaris thread...lol..

Snowmobiling is about enjoyment. Its a hobby/pastime that's gives us some pleasure. All you need shouldn't be a part of that equation in my thinking. Its about want.

My buddy and I both bought REV 600 Sports in 2003 and we rode together all the time. He says to me Wednesday, "You remember those? That was all we needed. They were plenty fast."

I said "Ya, I remember we topped them out at 164 kph many times. That was it. All they had. And that was why I bought a 900 Fusion next. I didn't want a sled that I could find the limits of. "

As it turned out the 900 Fusion was barely faster than the 600 Rev but that's besides the point.....lol

And he bought a 2007 Blizzard 800 next.

I had a ZR7000 for one year. I was so disappointed that it was slower than the 1200 Doo I had been riding that I traded it for the ZR9000.

I'm happy with the 9000. I did put a trail tune in it but I didn't need it. ....lol   But I understand why people go to 250-300 hp. Power is additive and if you can then why not?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If your hesitant on going back to a 2 stroke, you need to try the new Polaris matryx chassis if you haven’t already. I’ve never been a Polaris guy and most of my sledding has been on Yamaha 4strokes, but I always have an open mind towards other brands. I did try a skidoo 850 about 4yrs ago but found the front end way too twitchy, far from planted, so I sold it after 450kms. 

Polaris chassis really is incredible though. Exact same planted feel as my viper, and the wife loved it too! This is why when the time comes, the wife will be getting a 650. Once I decide to upgrade from my viper, I’m seriously considering going back to a 2 stroke. 
If Polaris puts a turbo on the S4, which I think they will, I will opt for it instead over the 2stroke.
The 2 stroke is very playful, felt like riding my old yzf 250, and very planted….and the 650 has more than enough power.

EDIT:

I just finished reading your post above, if it’s about wants, maybe the 850 Polaris turbo would be something to consider. You’ll get the planted feel, and lots of power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Snowmobiling is about enjoyment. Its a hobby/pastime that's gives us some pleasure. All you need shouldn't be a part of that equation in my thinking. Its about want.

My buddy and I both bought REV 600 Sports in 2003 and we rode together all the time. He says to me Wednesday, "You remember those? That was all we needed. They were plenty fast."

I said "Ya, I remember we topped them out at 164 kph many times. That was it. All they had. And that was why I bought a 900 Fusion next. I didn't want a sled that I could find the limits of. "

As it turned out the 900 Fusion was barely faster than the 600 Rev but that's besides the point.....lol

And he bought a 2007 Blizzard 800 next.

I had a ZR7000 for one year. I was so disappointed that it was slower than the 1200 Doo I had been riding that I traded it for the ZR9000.

I'm happy with the 9000. I did put a trail tune in it but I didn't need it. ....lol   But I understand why people go to 250-300 hp. Power is additive and if you can then why not?

Completely agree with you.

The Pantera has everything I need and I am very happy with it but I wanted more. Hence the tuned ZR9.

I love and crave acceleration...lol.. 

Pantera pulls good to 140km/h and tops out at 160km/h(gps) on a long lake run. Takes a few miles to get there.

The ZR9 is playing in a completely different league. It just pulls and pulls, even after 160km/h. Addictive!!:icon_dance-cpatch:

However, I don't care about overall top end speed but just love the seemingly endless acceleration and pull!

That's currently my want.

Everyone's "enjoyment criteria" is unique. To some it's corner to corner, top speed, deep snow or flat cornering performance etc..

My wants now are different than 20-30 years ago and they will be different in 10 years from now.

Get all the wants you can for our 2 months a year hobby!! 

• Like 2