New Cats

Baylaker

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s a good life. You don’t eat sliders on hard trails with taller lug? That was always my fear unless you stud it? 

I’m not sure how well sliders will hold up on a taller lug track, I’m guessing they’ll wear faster though. My sliders usually wear at the bend in the rails and last quite a while. I am considering a 1.5” in the future 

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The longevity of your track vs. others mentioned is no doubt partly due to the chassis it is in and possibly speeds ran.

11 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

The ripsaw 2 track is a very good track, low and high speeds lol

PLC is laying a back handed slap and saying you run slow…lol

I remember running the ripsaw, thought it was great, than a cobra track and that was even better - the ripsaw II actually kind of looks like the cobra with the cupped paddles. 

I assume you must run studs with your track?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, stoney said:

PLC is laying a back handed slap and saying you run slow…lol

I remember running the ripsaw, thought it was great, than a cobra track and that was even better - the ripsaw II actually kind of looks like the cobra with the cupped paddles. 

I assume you must run studs with your track?

I had a feeling PLC was jabbin at me haha! 

yes I do run studs, only for safety purposes though….maybe I do ride slow 🤔

• Haha 1

All the tracks are good until they aren't . Dealer in P.Q has  seen many off these fails, him and his service manager took a quick glance ask to start the sled , took a look at the # of Km and replied that is un fortunate for you , warranty does not apply.  I smiled and waved , said see ya next year.

That sucks.  I've got a 1.25" ice ripper with 22,000 km on it.  Still in pretty decent condition.  Not perfect but pretty good.  It's in an xs chassis.  I also have a 1.5" ice ripper on our other xs chassis sled.  It's still fairly new.  Just installed it last year.  I'll have to watch the ice build up.  We have definitely experienced ice build up in the tunnel on our saddlebag trips.  Am considering carrying a rubber mallet to break it loose every morning.  Especially if guys are saying it causes track lugs to tear.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, signfan said:

That sucks.  I've got a 1.25" ice ripper with 22,000 km on it.  Still in pretty decent condition.  Not perfect but pretty good.  It's in an xs chassis.  I also have a 1.5" ice ripper on our other xs chassis sled.  It's still fairly new.  Just installed it last year.  I'll have to watch the ice build up.  We have definitely experienced ice build up in the tunnel on our saddlebag trips.  Am considering carrying a rubber mallet to break it loose every morning.  Especially if guys are saying it causes track lugs to tear.  

Same situation. with about 5200KM on the 1.5 Ice ripper. Tried the very small rubber hammer and found its effectiveness limited. I may try to spray the sides (NOT on the Heat exchanger - has been the warning) of the tunnel with the Dupont Snow and Ice spray, which some people say it helps. 

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The difference in price between an X and a ADR is $450.

The X comes with KYB-36's and a 10.25 Display. What other difference between the 2? And wouldn't the KYB-36's be rebuildable if I was looking for a bit better ride?

Seems to me that $450 is worth it for the display alone.

17 hours ago, coldfinger said:

V2 has a lot of seat time on his new Enduro and has an opinion   on shock packages. He may chime in .

I have never had an X  only TnT and Adrenalines   the shocks were rebuildable I believe  I have the Enduro and really don't know what shocks are on it    I am looking at upgrading them next year to X shocks   the front end is a Ras X so just missing the shocks   was actually going to ask on the Forum for advice  so thanks Coldfinger for getting me started lol

Ive ran the the 1.6 and 1.5 ice rippers for last 4 years. No issues but Im not putting on crazy high km.

If your putting on high km I wouldnt think you would need the 1.5 but what do I know

As for the shocks DOO has dumbed down (sorry for  the pun) the shocks on all of its sleds. The XRS package is really not much different than an X or an enduro. The adrenaline is junk. 

What they realized is that people only want the XRS badge on the side of their sleds and not the real shock settings and they are right. Good set of rebuildables are all you need for these days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, signfan said:

Revrnd who used to be active on this forum has been manufacturing and selling a small hammer for a number of years made especially for tunnel ice removal. It has some type of hard plastic surfaces that protect the tunnel from damage. If anyone is interested I can get in touch with him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Same situation. with about 5200KM on the 1.5 Ice ripper. Tried the very small rubber hammer and found its effectiveness limited. I may try to spray the sides (NOT on the Heat exchanger - has been the warning) of the tunnel with the Dupont Snow and Ice spray, which some people say it helps. 

I found that when you stop for breaks, etc.....the residual heat after a few minutes from the exchanger already starts to let the ice/slush release from the tunnel, I put my hand in and pull out what I can.

I also will lift my rear end up and drop it a few times to release anything else, then reverse the sled so the chunks come out the back and then carry on.

I have read about the spray as well, have not seriously considered that yet.

Once I reach the lodging for the night, I will try and do the same (but will forget sometimes) and generally always spin my track the next morning before leaving and after sled is warmed up - I will pick up the rear and ask a buddy to run the throttle a few times after I pick the sled up and drop a few times as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

I have never had an X  only TnT and Adrenalines   the shocks were rebuildable I believe  I have the Enduro and really don't know what shocks are on it    I am looking at upgrading them next year to X shocks   the front end is a Ras X so just missing the shocks   was actually going to ask on the Forum for advice  so thanks Coldfinger for getting me started lol

I am not 100% certain, but I have always read the Adr shocks were not rebuildable - but that might have changed last year as think about it and type this....who knows what the 2024's will offer.

AFAIK, the Enduro big difference is the air shock in the rear skid.

I put on the Elka stage 4 front shocks this year and in my opinion they made a huge difference in the front end of the sled from bump absorption to making adjustments on the fly based on trail conditions.

Added bonus is with the dual rate springs, the front end is lowered as well that also helps in the handling.

I would highly recommend these to anyone!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 6:16 PM, Blackstar said:

I agree, the Catalyst chassis has likely caught up with the other 2 manu's but its no game changer, its just going to be on par.

They needed a 180 hp 2 stroke to put in it too.

Or, had they come with stellar pricing like they did a few years ago, they may have pulled some buyers from Doo and Poo.

If you wear Black/Green/purple leathers then you may see things differently.

Its that pricing you speak of from a few years back is what got me into AC.  I bought 3 ACs from 2017 to 2021. All new-non currents with substantial discounts. It was a no brainer and to be honest, you can't complain about the quality!

5 hours ago, Puggz said:

Its that pricing you speak of from a few years back is what got me into AC.  I bought 3 ACs from 2017 to 2021. All new-non currents with substantial discounts. It was a no brainer and to be honest, you can't complain about the quality!

Bought my 17 zr600 as a leftover for 11500 out the door and 0% finance. It was a hell of a deal and a great sled. I remember they had 16 zr4000 RR's for 6000 plus taxes.

13 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

Bought my 17 zr600 as a leftover for 11500 out the door and 0% finance. It was a hell of a deal and a great sled. I remember they had 16 zr4000 RR's for 6000 plus taxes.

A buddy of mine grabbed two of them at that time.  He rode them for two years and sold them for I think $8500 each.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 7:52 PM, Blackstar said:

Y

Only thing that will screw things more up is if Yamaha puts out an SRX in Black and Gold..........:bowdown:

Action image of 2024 Sidewinder SRX LE EPS

And they made it. Damn.....lol

• Like 2

Pricey sled! I hope your not financing at the 10.99% rate! 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Pricey sled! I hope your not financing at the 10.99% rate! 🤣

Its really got me thinking. I realize I probably have minutes to make a call.

Tough to justify spending over $30k on a sled when I rode less than 500 kms this winter.

Kinda made a deal with myself last week that if I put over 2000 kms on my Cat next winter then I could buy what I want....lol

I assume this will be a one year only paint scheme.

Decisions, decisions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Tough to justify spending over $30k on a sled when I rode less than 500 kms this winter.

Kinda made a deal with myself last week that if I put over 2000 kms on my Cat next winter then I could buy what I want....lol

Decisions, decisions.

I’ve already made my decision and it’s a hard pass lol. 

it was an easy decision for me

50 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Decisions, decisions.

But next year even if you ride 1000km, you will regret not buying it!

Looks like a sweet sled though - congrats on your soon to be purchase!!

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

I’m not seeing anyone mentioning the new cat 858 engine release for 2025 and the new gauge, so figured I would. 

11% more power over the 800 across the entire power band, I’m sure someone knows the estimated power of the 800 so can take an educated guess on numbers for the 858. 
I always thought I read the 800 class engine was an overachiever the last few years as well, if so, the above sounds very promising. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 1:06 PM, Blackstar said:

Decisions, decisions.

That’s easy to do. Buy sled and I gladly organize a track on lake musoka for you. I design a 10 km oval track and see if you can break world record of 88 miles an hour for 24 hours straight. With that sled should be easy to do. Should be able to get 2280 miles in 24 hours. 😎

24 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s easy to do. Buy sled and I gladly organize a track on lake musoka for you. I design a 10 km oval track and see if you can break world record of 88 miles an hour for 24 hours straight. With that sled should be easy to do. Should be able to get 2280 miles in 24 hours. 😎

Easy??? Obviously you have never been in an honest snowmobile race never mind an endurance race. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoney said:

I’m not seeing anyone mentioning the new cat 858 engine release for 2025 and the new gauge, so figured I would. 

11% more power over the 800 across the entire power band, I’m sure someone knows the estimated power of the 800 so can take an educated guess on numbers for the 858. 
I always thought I read the 800 class engine was an overachiever the last few years as well, if so, the above sounds very promising. 

Does that replace the 4 stroke as Yamaha deal done in 2025?

Or a stop gap to fill out product line until AC develops their own 4s turbo?

Will there be a 2 stroke turbo option released in time for 2025 early orders?

39 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Does that replace the 4 stroke as Yamaha deal done in 2025?

Or a stop gap to fill out product line until AC develops their own 4s turbo?

Will there be a 2 stroke turbo option released in time for 2025 early orders?

This is the 2 stroke 800 series motor for the new chassis. 
Nothing mentioned about possible 2 stroke turbo like Doo and Poo have - maybe next steps as I cannot see they come out with both a new 858 mill and a turbo, break that up. 

No idea what the plan will be for 4 stroke. They have a potential engine issue and a new chassis that I don’t how it will fit a 4 stroke. 
I don’t think the engine will be an issue for Cat with Yamaha exiting the market, they already have that tooling, chassis might be harder, but nothing some wider body panels cannot fix like Doo does. 
I imagine the procross will be around for a bit to still be able to offer the 4 strokes models, touring sled, etc…which I don’t think is all that bad. 

998cc Yamaha is gone after MY25.    

1100cc triple turbo coming in a wide body Catalyst for MY26.     

Engine designed by Weber.    Built in St Cloud by Cat.     

I have a buddy who is a long time Cat dealer and very well connected inside TRF.    He has known about the 858 for 3 years. 

• Like 2