New Cats

Baylaker

I gotta say firstly, I think cat has done a pretty good job on their new catalyst sled lineup, but the pricing is a bit nuts imo. Even on the old platform they went up quite a bit. Pricing is out on the website now for all to see. Cats are usually a bit cheaper than Yamahas, so this is a good indicator for what the pricing will be like on the new Yamahas. 

just some quick pricing….

$27,500 +++ for a ZR9000

$20,600 +++ for a ZR7000

$17,250 +++ for new ZR600 catalyst base model

$19,125 +++ for new ZR600 catalyst w/atac 

$20,125 +++ for new ZR600 R-XC 

As much as I think it will be a great sled, too much money just to get the wife out. 
Now I’m back to Polaris, we’ll see what they have to offer on Monday for the 600 class.

worst case scenario…I may have to lower my standards and get a renegade sport hahahaha! Sorry to all you doo owners.
I actually hear it’s a pretty good economy sled, just that the suspension sucks. The price of the renegade sport 600 is more realistic to get my wife out, but still afraid of the “get what you pay for” so to speak. 

I know prices have increased all across the economy, but I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head around $20k plus for a sled these days. And to to think the turbo sleds are $30k???

Just because the money is there, doesn’t mean people are going to spend it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I gotta say firstly, I think cat has done a pretty good job on their new catalyst sled lineup, but the pricing is a bit nuts imo. Even on the old platform they went up quite a bit. Pricing is out on the website now for all to see. Cats are usually a bit cheaper than Yamahas, so this is a good indicator for what the pricing will be like on the new Yamahas. 

$27,500 +++ for a ZR9000

$20,600 +++ for a ZR7000

As much as I think it will be a great sled, too much money just to get the wife out. 
Now I’m back to Polaris, we’ll see what they have to offer on Monday for the 600 class.

worst case scenario…I may have to lower my standards and get a renegade sport hahahaha! Sorry to all you doo owners.
I actually hear it’s a pretty good economy sled, just that the suspension sucks. The price of the renegade sport 600 is more realistic to get my wife out, but still afraid of the “get what you pay for” so to speak. 

I know prices have increased all across the economy, but I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head around $20k plus for a sled these days. And to to think the turbo sleds are $30k???

I'm not sure I will ever buy a new sled again.

The one I am on now is the first used sled I ever bought.

Had 310 miles on it - paid $9,000.00 with 2 more years of warranty left,  10 years later - still going strong!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

$27,500 +++ for a ZR9000

$20,600 +++ for a ZR7000

Its a great sled. and i f you ride low kms every year its perfect for a beginner/tentative rider.

• Like 1

I hear that 600 doo engine is very good. I actually know a guy with around 20,000km on it and it’s never been opened up. 
wife hates the colour yellow, so it would need to be wrapped. Might have to find a set of good shocks for it as I’m hearing the suspension is pretty junky, but for an $11k dollar sled I don’t expect high end parts or accessories. So by the time I’m done wrapping it, getting some decent shocks and accessories for it, it might end up being a $15k sled…

seems like nowadays all you have to do is buy something (which is supposed to be a depreciation asset) and then you can resell it a year later and make money off it or at the very least get your money back! 

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

$27,500 +++ for a ZR9000

$20,600 +++ for a ZR7000

Although I like the AC brand, they are still falling behind in shock technology and still using the old gauge set when everyone else is offering digital, GPS, etc.  Although the new design looks great, its really the blast with a better skid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Although I like the AC brand, they are still falling behind in shock technology and still using the old gauge set when everyone else is offering digital, GPS, etc.  Although the new design looks great, its really the blast with a better skid.

That’s the other thing I forgot to mention and you said it, no new gauge etc. asking too much money for too little offering…

4 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

That’s the other thing I forgot to mention and you said it, no new gauge etc. asking too much money for too little offering…

Its unfortunate as this was a great opportunity for AC to bring us something exciting.  Considering their parent company, its not like they don't have the $$.  l recall doing a customer survey with them about 4 yrs back and they were looking for feedback on a built in GPS. Its not like they don't know their market and/or competition.  Furthermore, whats with no 800 in the new platform? The RR and T-Cat are still sporting the old chassis and plastic. The ctek 600 is a great engine (I have 2 of them) but in a world of 900's and boosted 2 strokes they've missed the mark by a mile.  Wouldn't surprise me if Yamaha jumps ship as soon as their agreement runs its course.  Yama-Poo inbound..lol

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

I'm not sure I will ever buy a new sled again.

The one I am on now is the first used sled I ever bought.

Had 310 miles on it - paid $9,000.00 with 2 more years of warranty left,  10 years later - still going strong!

It’s going to very hard for me to buy something to replace my viper. 14,000kms now and has been great, I did buy it new though in 2018 for $15k. But I can’t keep riding 2up with the wife. Too hard on the back. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baylaker said:

$27,500 +++ for a ZR9000

$20,600 +++ for a ZR7000

Tough one. I first said I would never spend more then 10,000 on a sled. I bought three new for under 10k. 1994 xcr, 1997 formula z 583 and 2003 Yamaha viper 700. Then prices went up and 12 to 15k was more realistic. Now it’s double that.  Oh well maybe I get a boat instead 🤣

Ya, I was disappointed to see the rice of a ZR9000. They have a Trail Blazer Package which gives you a medium height windshield, tunnel bag, handlebar bag and a proper front bumper for another $1100. I think the freight is another $850. That puts the TCat at $29400 and we don't have studs, descent carbides or taxes yet. :whatever:

I'm struggling with it all. I had set things up so I would be spring ordering my next sled this year. I was thinking that, at 58, it could very well be my last. But with only 300 kms this season, on a 2015 sled which now has 7000 kms, does it even make sense?

I've been watching Marketplace and there are plenty of low mileage sleds showing up at reasonable prices in the last 2 weeks. I'm thinking there will be more before the end of the month.

So I will wait. Maybe I will order, maybe I will buy slightly used, maybe I will stay with what I have. Its just had a full service, new sliders and carbides. See if I ride more next year than the past 5 years, because if I don't then I'm out.

Only thing that will screw things more up is if Yamaha puts out an SRX in Black and Gold..........:bowdown:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Tough one. I first said I would never spend more then 10,000 on a sled. I bought three new for under 10k. 1994 xcr, 1997 formula z 583 and 2003 Yamaha viper 700. Then prices went up and 12 to 15k was more realistic. Now it’s double that.  Oh well maybe I get a boat instead 🤣

I’m actually considering a 4 seater SXS. Way more use and you can get a nice one for around $20k. My only problem is I dont have much time during spring, summer & fall

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, I was disappointed to see the rice of a ZR9000. They have a Trail Blazer Package which gives you a medium height windshield, tunnel bag, handlebar bag and a proper front bumper for another $1100. I think the freight is another $850. That puts the TCat at $29400 and we don't have studs, descent carbides or taxes yet. :whatever:

I'm struggling with it all. I had set things up so I would be spring ordering my next sled this year. I was thinking that, at 58, it could very well be my last. But with only 300 kms this season, on a 2015 sled which now has 7000 kms, does it even make sense?

I've been watching Marketplace and there are plenty of low mileage sleds showing up at reasonable prices in the last 2 weeks. I'm thinking there will be more before the end of the month.

So I will wait. Maybe I will order, maybe I will buy slightly used, maybe I will stay with what I have. Its just had a full service, new sliders and carbides. See if I ride more next year than the past 5 years, because if I don't then I'm out.

Only thing that will screw things more up is if Yamaha puts out an SRX in Black and Gold..........:bowdown:

I’ve been watching marketplace & kijiji, there are plenty of used sleds for a decent price right now and I think your right, there will be plenty more to come. The used market is about to heat up! 

I’m willing to bet if cats zr9000 is almost $30k you can be sure the Yamaha SRX will be $30k no doubt. I found the Yamahas always were priced a bit higher than cats 7000 & 9000 sleds. 

you gotta ride that cat more before you upgrade! 🤣

I thought you would have way more kms on your 2015. And yes, a black & gold srx would leave me drooling, I might end up divorced for the second time though haha! 

• Like 1

i bought a one year old sled for 10k a 2016 1200 .only thing that makes any sense is to just keep it .no way i would pay todays prices for new .getting way out of hand unless maybe you live in cochrane.Sure glad its a four stroke

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

i bought a one year old sled for 10k a 2016 1200 .only thing that makes any sense is to just keep it .no way i would pay todays prices for new .getting way out of hand unless maybe you live in cochrane.Sure glad its a four stroke

That was a good deal you got.

I paid $9500 for a used 2010 Renegade 1200 X in the fall of 2010. Had to drive to NY to get it but everyone here wanted $12k plus. Canadian dollar was at par. I think it had 300 miles on it.

I bought my 2015 ZR9000 for $11400 brand new in April of 2015 as a left over. They gave me $9k for the '14 ZR7000 as a traded in so I only paid tax on the difference. No brainer upgrade for me. I also priced ordering in a 2016 ZR9000 LTD at that time but it was $16500. I couldn't justify the QS3 shocks and metallic green paint for the extra $5000.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

I’ve been watching marketplace & kijiji, there are plenty of used sleds for a decent price right now and I think your right, there will be plenty more to come. The used market is about to heat up! 

I’m willing to bet if cats zr9000 is almost $30k you can be sure the Yamaha SRX will be $30k no doubt. I found the Yamahas always were priced a bit higher than cats 7000 & 9000 sleds. 

you gotta ride that cat more before you upgrade! 🤣

I thought you would have way more kms on your 2015. And yes, a black & gold srx would leave me drooling, I might end up divorced for the second time though haha! 

With my plan, my first choice was to order a Skidoo Renegade 900 Turbo R in either Enduro or X package. The Cat was a second or third choice depending on price and what colour an SRX came in. Right now, I think the Doo with similar or better gear would be cheaper than either Cat or Yam. That doesn't make sense considering the age of the Cat chassis and motor but I understand what has gone on in manufacturing.

• Like 1

i got it from a friend that was trading it in .he set it up for me to buy it threw the dealer .cat price seems about 2 grand more for similar models from skidoo.prices sure seem out of control

• Like 1

I don’t get the deal w $30 000 sleds. A 2024  850 Backcountry X is $17900…awesome suspension, 146 skid and can option either 1.6 in ice cobra or 2 in powder max track….that’s all I need. I do wish they would go back to 3 yr warranty though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I'll be buying my next sled End of the month. April 1..............timeline. Ill keep looking and get an incredible deal. 

Good plan.  I think there's deals coming this spring / summer in the slightly used market.  With another round of price increases have to wonder of snow check will sell out this year like it has in the past.

22 hours ago, Puggz said:

Seriously? You need to do some more and better research before making a statement like that. There is not a darn thing that is the same from a Blast to the Catalyst.  Ok, maybe a track option but nothing else.

28 minutes ago, signfan said:

Good plan.  I think there's deals coming this spring / summer in the slightly used market.  With another round of price increases have to wonder of snow check will sell out this year like it has in the past.

I bet they will sell out.

Seems sledder populace are loaded and the manu's know it! :)

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

With my plan, my first choice was to order a Skidoo Renegade 900 Turbo R in either Enduro or X package. The Cat was a second or third choice depending on price and what colour an SRX came in. Right now, I think the Doo with similar or better gear would be cheaper than either Cat or Yam. That doesn't make sense considering the age of the Cat chassis and motor but I understand what has gone on in manufacturing.

Stick with the first plan buddy   go with the X  Don't get the 1 1/2 in track   take it from Coldfinger and me   lol 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

I bet they will sell out.

Seems sledder populace are loaded and the manu's know it! :)

There were quite a few people that backed out this year from their snowchecks, myself & brother included, but there was always someone next in line to buy it! 
It will be very interesting to see how things play out this time around.

1 hour ago, Zertrider said:

Seriously? You need to do some more and better research before making a statement like that. There is not a darn thing that is the same from a Blast to the Catalyst.  Ok, maybe a track option but nothing else.

Woa cowboy! Fair enough but my opinion is that its still too little to late.  There's no differentiation here, unless you consider getting less for your $ as a differentiation.