Timmins Super 8 Sled Trail Access Challenge

Gadgetman

Our group have been using the Super 8 in Timmins for over 20 years. I have pictures of me sitting in the lobby in my PJ's after my first blown piston. Years ago, they had a groomed trail up the back side, which is steep. We've watched it go from a groomed trail to what it is this year, having trees down across a goat path, which required us to climb over several trees and then hill climb.

Therefore, I gave the Super 8 a harsh review. Credit to him, the GM responded and identified that the trail was the Timmins club responsibility, which is what I thought. I accepted that but replied that every club is struggling for volunteers, and the fact that he is a business with a maintenance guy, and just 30-60 mins with an electric chain saw could make the trail at least safe for all levels (and ages) of riders. 

His reply was that he and his maintenance guy would walk out and take a look. 

If someone opts to stay at the Super 8 in Timmins, can you let me know if the rear sled trail was cleared of the fallen trees?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Our group have been using the Super 8 in Timmins for over 20 years. I have pictures of me sitting in the lobby in my PJ's after my first blown piston. Years ago, they had a groomed trail up the back side, which is steep. We've watched it go from a groomed trail to what it is this year, having trees down across a goat path, which required us to climb over several trees and then hill climb.

Therefore, I gave the Super 8 a harsh review. Credit to him, the GM responded and identified that the trail was the Timmins club responsibility, which is what I thought. I accepted that but replied that every club is struggling for volunteers, and the fact that he is a business with a maintenance guy, and just 30-60 mins with an electric chain saw could make the trail at least safe for all levels (and ages) of riders. 

His reply was that he and his maintenance guy would walk out and take a look. 

If someone opts to stay at the Super 8 in Timmins, can you let me know if the rear sled trail was cleared of the fallen trees?

Thanks

I can see the trail (L27) that you leave to go up the hill into the parking lot being the clubs responsibility but the goat path up the hill is not properly staked or signed so there is no way in my opinion that it is a trail the local club is responsible for. If we are talking about the same goat path it goes up into the Casey's restaurant parking lot from trail L27. I don't believe the club would want a groomer to go up there. BTW trail L27 is shown green on the ITG today.

31 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I can see the trail (L27) that you leave to go up the hill into the parking lot being the clubs responsibility but the goat path up the hill is not properly staked or signed so there is no way in my opinion that it is a trail the local club is responsible for. If we are talking about the same goat path it goes up into the Casey's restaurant parking lot from trail L27. I don't believe the club would want a groomer to go up there. BTW trail L27 is shown green on the ITG today.

Yes, it is that goat path up to the Casey's restaurant parking lot, and yes, best I can remember it has gone from a groomed snow filled trail many years ago to overgrown bush. The Super 8 still contributes to the trail map, why I was so surprised of how many fallen small trees are across the trail. 

Well, he responded and said he would take a look, which is reasonable. If he opts to do nothing, then I guess it becomes the Comfort Inn down the trail in the future, because crossing the highway is a safer option than that trail, according to our group.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:43 PM, Gadgetman said:

Yes, it is that goat path up to the Casey's restaurant parking lot, and yes, best I can remember it has gone from a groomed snow filled trail many years ago to overgrown bush. The Super 8 still contributes to the trail map, why I was so surprised of how many fallen small trees are across the trail. 

Well, he responded and said he would take a look, which is reasonable. If he opts to do nothing, then I guess it becomes the Comfort Inn down the trail in the future, because crossing the highway is a safer option than that trail, according to our group.

Bon aire is ok too no issues there. Trail goes thru  the parking lot. It’s a just a basic motel and they have some nicer rooms too. Haven’t been in a few years now. 

I always stay at Cedar Meadows when we are in Timmins.    TONs of free parking, restaurant on site and basically right on the trail.    

• 11 months later...

Has anyone stayed at the Super 8 in Timmins this year?  Wondering if the trail to access the hotel has been cleared since last year?

54 minutes ago, snowgirl said:

Has anyone stayed at the Super 8 in Timmins this year?  Wondering if the trail to access the hotel has been cleared since last year?

I cancelled ON and took the group to Val D'Or last week instead of the "big loop" through Timmins.

If no first-hand report from anyone, suggest you try the Timmins club president, as I believe I had some exchange from him (which I can't find (sorry)) regarding that trail and the hotel manager thinking the club would "fix" it.

Cheers

az