Ski doo 2024

signfan

So what's everyone think of some of the new offerings? Highlights I liked.

- can get an X model renegade with the 130 hp motor. This let's you get upgraded shocks and a 1.5" ice ripper without getting stupid on power or purchase price. Just need them to offer this with smart shocks now. 

- 4 strokes in the gen 5

- nice to see brp entering the electric market. Long long ways to go but it's a start

- bringing the ride lights to the handlebar guards is a neat idea. Would be nice to see them offer them on the windshield mounted mirrors as well. Would be a better location. Not everyone uses hand guards

- I like the integrated helmet communicators. The fact that they will be powered by your heated shield is a big bonus. No more battery issues with communicators.  Wonder what the new Oxygen helmet will be priced at that incorporates these.

Not sure what to think of the methanol cooling trick (water system) for the new 850 turbo. Would be interesting to know what the mixture of water to methanol is.  Really neat technology.  Have to question a couple things though.

- methanol burns with a clear flame (like hydrogen you can hardly see the flame in daylight).  Seems like a new safety risk to me.  Apparently it will burn up to a 4 to 1 mixture of methanol to water

- is injecting water into your motor a good idea?  I'm sure BRP's engineers have thought this out.  Just makes you wonder what that does to long term reliability.

Will be neat to see what Polaris brings to the market with their release.

• Like 2

I watched the video quickly last night.

• Did not put much thought into the 2-strock since I don't ride one and do not plan to change - for those that do or will, look intriguing for sure but with that much power adder to a 2-stroke, I have my reservations
  • GEN5 on 4-stroke is nice and I think expected (makes you wonder why they waited a year though....)
  • MXZ now have two skid length options for those looking for the longer track
  • 95% of all renegade are now 4-stroke (just Enduro has 2-stroke)
  • Light signals is a great add on, but I agree would be nice to be tied to the sled vs. hand guards
  • They talked about going back to better shock packages I thought for the MXZ, I wonder if this is really accurate
  • I heard something about the gauge and some new features pertaining to tracking other riders like the POO has (I think this is new at least)
  • I also heard about seat changes, hopefully on the Renegade as the one on mine could be be firmer and a tad higher
  • Have not looked yet but I wonder what the price tag is for the new iron.....
  •  

Not sure what else I recall hearing from the nice ladies.

• Like 1

I think it's a great time to be a Polaris person.

Ski-doo is OVR :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I think it's a great time to be a Polaris person.

Ski-doo is OVR :)

This is kind of funny, and this is not because I now ride a DOO - but this year the number of DOO's I see on the snow is quite high compared to others.

On the QC ride we did, CAT/YAMI was second for sire (all 4-strokes) and POO was third....but a far cry from the number of DOO's we seen.

Here in our back yard, POO and CAT are closer but DOO is still far more popular to see.

Chalk it up to coincidence or timing, not sure, just what I noticed.

Perhaps delivery issues the last couple years is the reason for this & the lopsided numbers, it did seem DOO did a better job of delivering new iron, not perfect I know, just higher percentage. 

POO does have an awesome looking sled though, love the options the rider has to pick from too.....and sounds like it might be the best trail sled too on the snow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, signfan said:

So what's everyone think of some of the new offerings? Highlights I liked.

- can get an X model renegade with the 130 hp motor. This let's you get upgraded shocks and a 1.5" ice ripper without getting stupid on power or purchase price. Just need them to offer this with smart shocks now. 

- 4 strokes in the gen 5

- nice to see brp entering the electric market. Long long ways to go but it's a start

- bringing the ride lights to the handlebar guards is a neat idea. Would be nice to see them offer them on the windshield mounted mirrors as well. Would be a better location. Not everyone uses hand guards

- I like the integrated helmet communicators. The fact that they will be powered by your heated shield is a big bonus. No more battery issues with communicators.  Wonder what the new Oxygen helmet will be priced at that incorporates these.

Not sure what to think of the methanol cooling trick (water system) for the new 850 turbo. Would be interesting to know what the mixture of water to methanol is.  Really neat technology.  Have to question a couple things though.

- methanol burns with a clear flame (like hydrogen you can hardly see the flame in daylight).  Seems like a new safety risk to me.  Apparently it will burn up to a 4 to 1 mixture of methanol to water

- is injecting water into your motor a good idea?  I'm sure BRP's engineers have thought this out.  Just makes you wonder what that does to long term reliability.

Will be neat to see what Polaris brings to the market with their release.

Just curious why you think its good that they are entering the electric market since electric cars are clearly not the answer. I don't want to turn this into a political debate but I'm curious why people think electric transportation is the way to go.  TIA!

So that the masses can see how bad they are now, before they go any further.....

Edit - actually what that is - is so that they can be running Doo's in Yellowstone. The first with electric wins. 

They have had the "Best Technology" requirement for many years now.

47 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Just curious why you think its good that they are entering the electric market since electric cars are clearly not the answer. I don't want to turn this into a political debate but I'm curious why people think electric transportation is the way to go.  TIA!

Let's keep the politics out of this forum.  We're all entitled to our own opinions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stoney said:

This is kind of funny, and this is not because I now ride a DOO - but this year the number of DOO's I see on the snow is quite high compared to others.

On the QC ride we did, CAT/YAMI was second for sire (all 4-strokes) and POO was third....but a far cry from the number of DOO's we seen.

Here in our back yard, POO and CAT are closer but DOO is still far more popular to see.

Chalk it up to coincidence or timing, not sure, just what I noticed.

Perhaps delivery issues the last couple years is the reason for this & the lopsided numbers, it did seem DOO did a better job of delivering new iron, not perfect I know, just higher percentage. 

POO does have an awesome looking sled though, love the options the rider has to pick from too.....and sounds like it might be the best trail sled too on the snow.

Take ride in Minnesota state, or almost any state, and count the Poo and Cats vs Doo's lol. 

The best thing Doo EVER did to grab market share was bring in the ride free for a year plan - they were first, got their teeth in and have never looked back - that coupled with good product of course.

Brilliant really.

All that for 15hp?

:headbang:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Take ride in Minnesota state, or almost any state, and count the Poo and Cats vs Doo's lol. 

The best thing Doo EVER did to grab market share was bring in the ride free for a year plan - they were first, got their teeth in and have never looked back - that coupled with good product of course.

Brilliant really.

No doubt different pockets all over the place will have different popular flavours - might be dealer support system there, etc.....

Oddly enough most of the American's we saw on our trip seem to be sporting Doo's, mostly 850's.

4lbs? I wonder what the head lifting limit is? Im sure I wont have to wonder long. Someone will do it, its a guarantee. While Polaris will melt down before its limit is reached the Rotax will lift heads. How do I know? Ethanol injection makes latent heat evaporation during atomization. In laymens terms it makes the fuel charge denser, while lowering temperatures. It also has octane of 110 or so, but its really the latent heat evaporation that makes it amazing under boost. Water inj sort of does the same thing its old as moses in the gofast car world its nothing new. The fact that BRP made all this hi-tech racer mod stuff factory equipment blows my mind. The modders are going to whip sidewinders for breakfast lunch and dinner with these things.

Two huge thumbs up

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, signfan said:

Let's keep the politics out of this forum.  We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Ok then, you brought it up sharing your opinion. I'd recommend that you do a bit more research, you may be surprised with what you learn.

• Confused 1

That MX-Z XRS with the comp package is a cool-looking ride, the water injection makes sense if you're on the lake racing all afternoon. I clicked a few options and it came to $28,112.00 (gotta pay to play)

That grand touring electric is an interesting idea, just that 50km range is sorta silly but someone had to bring one out first in today's EV world. 

Pretty nice line up all around, IMO

25 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

That MX-Z XRS with the comp package is a cool-looking ride, the water injection makes sense if you're on the lake racing all afternoon. I clicked a few options and it came to $28,112.00 (gotta pay to play)

That grand touring electric is an interesting idea, just that 50km range is sorta silly but someone had to bring one out first in today's EV world. 

Pretty nice line up all around, IMO

Brp is nice just dealer network in our area sucks now. We use to have a dealer in new Hamburg, Stratford, st Mary’s. All gone for various reasons. Polaris has more choice for our area and faster service if you need warranty work. For that reason I buy a Polaris now and I really like matrix and 650 engine. Good for 15,000 km’s plus  no problem. 

• Like 1

I not have a lot of seat time on my Matryx 650 but I do like it a lot. 

But who wouldnt love to launch that 850 XRS turbo R across the lake all afternoon. 

Id even enjoy trying that electric GT, feel the torque it has and how quiet it would be. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

But who wouldnt love to launch that 850 XRS turbo R across the lake all afternoon. 

Id even enjoy trying that electric GT, feel the torque it has and how quiet it would be. 

Going across lake gets old after a few hours. Kids have a blast but I enjoy different scenery. If I was going to get into that game I get an old Mach z and bore and set it up for ice drags 😎.  That doesn’t interest me at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sledguy74 said:

I doubt that it is all that much quieter at speed as the track sound starts to take over...

i also enjoy the quiet sounding 4 stroke .must be getting old .

• Like 3

Well I have to say that I feel like my 850 is awfully quiet, and I like that as well.

Maybe it's not just the exhaust note, but the whole motor just seems so much more "tight" or "solid" I guess...

No doubt the new sleds are quieter 

but I’m sure the electric model would be even more so , would be fun to try

14 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

i also enjoy the quiet sounding 4 stroke .must be getting old .

agreed. I have to keep listening for my wife when she is behind me to catch up and its so hard to hear the thing. Its nice

• Like 1
  • Haha 2